Sign in with
Your question

Home Theaters and Soundc Cards

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2002 1:55:02 AM

Hey i would like to know if i would be able to by one of those sony home theater setups for around 400 bucks and hook it up to my sound blaster audigy 2. i really don't like the type of pc speakers the have out right now and i would like to know if i would be able to setup any other home theater setup with the sound card so that i can listen to good sound for both games and music. i don't want to use the dvd player that comes with most of the home theater setups but do i have to use a reciever to make it work and will the home setup come with a reciever?wil i need extra cables or anything to go with it to work?
December 11, 2002 12:39:54 AM

Just buy a reciever and speaker set. You can buy these things, they are called "Hi Fi's" and are available now for HOME THEATERs. So you get a receiver with amplifier, and a set of speakers. Now, most of the newer ones have Digital Audio inputs, which you can connect to the digital audio outputs of your sound card.

The coolest Home Theater settup for the price right now would include an AIW 9700 Pro, Radeon 8500DV, or AIW Radeon 7500, depending on your budget, a large second hard drive for doing TiVO type recordings on the system, a DVD-ROM, and a nice TV (preferably an HDTV, some even have XVGA inputs now). Then you could play DVD's from the remote that comes with the video card, record TV, etc.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 11, 2002 4:37:32 AM

Um he said he had an Audigy 2, that will kick the arse out of the Radeon whatever in terms of SNR, audio features offered, and whatever else you can throw at it. Plus, he already has it installed. Basically he was asking if a home theatre setup will be compatible with his Audigy 2.

Yes it will. You will just hook the supplied Digital DIN connector up with the reciever, if your system that you're buying comes with one. Otherwise you'll have to purchase one, make sure you get one with digital or optical inputs.
Related resources
December 11, 2002 8:20:58 AM

You're a real idiot. I doubt I've ever met anyone as stupid as you. When you figure out what an Audigy2 does and what a Radeon "whatever" does, you'll realize what an idiot you are. Then you'll either leave the forum or change your username.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 12, 2002 1:26:58 AM

Quote:
Um he said he had an Audigy 2, that will kick the arse out of the Radeon whatever in terms of SNR, audio features offered, and whatever else you can throw at it. Plus, he already has it installed. Basically he was asking if a home theatre setup will be compatible with his Audigy 2.

Yes it will. You will just hook the supplied Digital DIN connector up with the reciever, if your system that you're buying comes with one. Otherwise you'll have to purchase one, make sure you get one with digital or optical inputs.

following in the mighty words of Crashman.

<b>YOU ARE A FRIGGIN MORON</b>

it really feels good when you get the opportunity to say that and know you are completely justified in doing so. I feel like a new person.

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."
December 12, 2002 4:26:10 AM

Sigh. You all seem to think I'm a retard. Let me clarify what I meant.

By Radeon "whatever" I meant whichever version of the Radeon you chose. I hardly think anyone on this forum doesn't know what a Radeon all-in-wonder does.

That said, I stand by my position that he was NOT asking what would be the best all-in-one solution, just if a home theater setup would be compatible with his Audigy 2. I was merely telling him it would be.

If I misunderstand what he was asking, I apologize. Feel free to correct me. Please do so in a civil manner, though.
December 12, 2002 4:49:56 AM

I'm rereading your post, over and over, it seems to me that you believed these were competing products as opposed to complimentary products. In fact, you stated as much, no need for me to interpret your words. And your insolence, well, I only tolerate that when what the person says is a valid opposing viewpoint.

December 12, 2002 5:01:11 AM

K, this'll be my last post on the subject, I don't really care enough to fight about this.

I will AGREE with you that they are complimentary products. But not in this instance. He had simply stated that he wanted good sound... no mention of video needs other than games, which I assumed he needed no help with. Hence, I was judging the two products solely on the quality of their <i>audio</i> capabilities. Why buy a Radeon AIW just for the 5.1 sound when you have a superior soundcard already installed?

Look, I never wanted to be rude or demeaning. Sorry if I came off otherwise.
December 12, 2002 5:37:09 AM

Radeon has no soundcard.

December 12, 2002 5:54:50 AM

Quote:
Why buy a Radeon AIW just for the 5.1 sound when you have a superior soundcard already installed?

I started giving you the benefit of the doubt for about 3 seconds there... thinking *maybe* you made a mistake. but thanks for clarifying that you truly do not have any idea what you are talking about.

Sorry for being so harsh but hey it's fun. You my son, are a very... oh-so-very easy target.

December 12, 2002 6:29:23 AM

K, I'm an idiot. End of discussion.
Anonymous
December 12, 2002 1:09:59 PM

what, are you like crashmans girfriend or something?
December 12, 2002 2:13:24 PM

Quote:
what, are you like crashmans girfriend or something?

read the thread

December 12, 2002 11:50:38 PM

uhm i did happen to mention that i had an audigy 2 already...didn't i? how did a radeon get into this? by te way i have a ti4400, so i don't reallyneed a radeon. i just wanna know if a home theater setup will connect and work with my audigy 2...
December 13, 2002 1:33:50 AM

Yes it will work. Do what Crashman said. I have had my computer hooked up to my home stereo for years.

If you want to save some money, check out some used stereo
stores. Nice stuff and alot cheaper then retail.

Like Crashman said use the digital output from the Audigy
to your pre-amp or receiver. If you have an older stereo and do not have digital inputs, then use RCA inputs. You can buy the cables at Radio Shack.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
December 13, 2002 3:15:55 AM

Haha, this forum was funny... getting to the point tho- I have a home theater from sony right now, and a pretty crappy sound card (Sound blaster PCI). Right now I have it hooked up to the reciever via rca cords, I didnt know what those digital inputs did on my reciever. Are ya saying that I connect my sound card and receiver through that that it would intperate the sound better like better Center/Left/Right and Surround? And should I get a better sound card?

And with these 'Hi-fi' things - what are they? Are they cables? Can ya send me a picture of one of em? Just curious to see what they are.
Thanks!

PS: Getting a AIW 8500 for Christmas, this is gonna be a fun system! ;-)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Drexel on 12/13/02 00:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 13, 2002 6:51:45 AM

To get 5.1 surround sound your receiver or pre-amp needs to support it. The digital output is better since the signal does not degrade. (Although I like tube equipment for music)

The digital output on the soundcard will send a signal to the digital inputs on your receiver. It is just easier to use the digital cable. Just in case you do not know.

5.1 is left and right main speakers. Center channel (the most important speaker, especially for movies.) left and right rear speakers and the .1 refers to the subwoofer. The center channel needs to be a decent size and quality. These cheap 5.1 speakers system skimp on this. The vocals and lots of the effects come out of the center channel.

If you are just using a SB regular PCI card, you are just getting stereo and coming out of your receiver you are not getting a true surround sound. So if you want a true surround sound you need a newer sound card and a source like a game or movie that supports it. In otherwords a movie only recorded in stereo will not be surround.

Hi Fi is term. It means High Fidelity. Hi Fi relates to stereo equipment.

Here is a link to a digital cable: <A HREF="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG..." target="_new">http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG...;/A>

I would suggest going into a Radio Shack. Techie types work there and tell them what you are doing and they can direct you to what you need. Returns are easy if you have a problem.

the Prisoner

December 13, 2002 10:25:13 PM

Thanks for the info. Looked at the picture, I thought it was a square plug, the picture looked circular. I am feeling I need a new video card, but the cheapest one I saw with the digital out was the Extigy (149 offline). Are their any internal (non drive bay just pci slot) card that have the digital out?
December 13, 2002 11:39:36 PM

Maybe you are talking about a optical input on your receiver They are square.

December 14, 2002 12:26:16 AM

Grrr, look at the original answer and you'll see that there are two paragraphs, one that ANSWERS your SOUNDCARD question and another one that suggest how to make the system more usefull for home theater. But with so much arguing going on I can see how you'd loose track.

December 21, 2002 10:44:32 AM

Not sure if you got your answer. I couldn't read through all the bull.

First: Are the speakers powered?

if yes: you just need wiring that will hook up to the A2. You may have to buy wire or terminate your speaker wire with the correct plug.

if no: you will need an ampliphier that can power a 5.1 system and then connect it to your A2.

Make sure to get the right plugs. There are a few different sizes. The guys at my Radio Shack actually know their stuff and point out the right product if I tell them what I am doing.

<b><A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">How fast is your PC</A></b>
December 23, 2002 10:52:30 AM

1. I assume the Sony is a separate HiFi reciever, or maybe a reciever/5.1 speaker combo? Point is, before spending those $400 on any system, go to a HiFi store and TEST (i.e. listen to/audition) some equipments (reciever/amplifier/speakers) in your price range and then choose the combination YOU like i.e. don't just trust the salesman or the ad for a particular product. If you have done all this and found out that the Sony system is the best then ignore what I said!

2. I can assure you that in the same price league, NO 5.1 reciever can touch a stereo integrated amplifier in terms of stereo music playback quality (especially stereo separation), so if you're more into music, it might be better to buy an integrated stereo amp or at least output the reciever (specially the 2 front speakers) to a power amplifier.
!