How do i disable my internet connection and remain connected to my network

reaperjunkie

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
My PC is hardwired to a Comcast all in one Internet/Phone Modem/Wireless Router. I have installed new software on my Android Phone that can control my music recording software over Wi-Fi. Here is the rub: Recording software and the Internet don't play nicely together. They are in constant conflict for resources. I used to simply disable my network connection when working in my recording software. This obviously won't allow my phone to connect to my computer . Is there a way to disable my Internet connection yet remain connected to my network? I don't want to disable the entire networks Internet connection since there are other Internet users on the network. Any help anyone could give would be appreciated.

A so;ution for you is to connect to your computer from your android phone by bluetooth and that way you would be able to just disconnect from the network to do your recording. If your phone has bluetooth then you could get a usb bluetooth adaptor to connect to the cpmputer.
I don't know if Comcast will let you go into the router to diable the internet to the computer if that is possible. When you connect to the router froom the computer you get an ip address from the router and that's tied to the internet. You would have to see if there is a way to diable the internet from that Ip address. Usually people are trying to connect to the internet and this is the opposite.

reaperjunkie

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

Thanks for the reply. http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/hello.gif
I tried Bluetooth, bought the dongle, installed it and the found out my control software would only work if my phone was Bluetooth Tethered. The fine folks at AT&T have my phone locked from doing that unless I buy a tethering plan to share my phones internet access. It seems like everywhere I turn the Internet wants to be involved. Anyway, thanks again for your response, I appreciate it.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
It depends what you mean "disable internet" If you just want your PC to not be able to access the internet but only your local lan in your house that just requires you to remove the gateway from your network interface. You most likely will have to go to a static IP to do it.

This still does not prevent random broadcast traffic from other devices on your home network from sending junk to your machine. This should have no effect on your machine unless it is excessive which is a different issue anyway.

reaperjunkie

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Thanks for the reply john-b691.
Sorry for my delay in responding.
What I mean by "disable internet" is that I thought there might be an easy way to disconnect my pc from the internet and remain connected to my local lan, then reconnect my pc to the internet.
I don't have the knowledge to create the static IP.
I did disable my gateway, before my original post, and had to create a new network connection to connect my pc to the internet. After I did that I thought it was probably not the best way to go.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You can also use the route add and route delete command. Do a route print and find 0.0.0.0 then just delete it with route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 when you want it back on put the route command back in. The problem with doing it this way is every time you reboot or the disconnect the network you will have to redo it.