Sign in with
Your question

Ssd cloning

Last response: in Windows 7
May 23, 2012 5:00:42 PM

To avoid the "aging" of SSDs, would it make sense to clone the entire SSD on a HDD; then reformat the SSD; then klone the HDD back on to the SSD? And, say: do this on a weekly basis?

More about : ssd cloning

May 23, 2012 5:13:41 PM

No, that's a terrible idea. You'll get no benefit (the SSDs already manage themselves with TRIM) and just consume more write cycles.
a b $ Windows 7
May 23, 2012 5:13:47 PM

Hello,

Wow no.

Formatting your SSD is probably one of the worst things you can do on a "weekly" basis.

The best you can do do reduce writes to your SSD is turn off page file, hibernation and only install what you need on it.

The very act of cloning and formatting an SSD degrades the flash cells. However this would take a long time to do so.

I also advised against cloning from a HDD to SSD. It's doable - but I prefer the clean install method.

Let me give you this example (analogy):

You have 2 Trucks A and B They are almost exactly the same except for the engine.

Pertend you use both regularly on a daily basis. Once a week you decide to swap out the engines. Merely swapping the engine doesn't make it "brand new" again. It just means you swapped the engine. It is still very much used.
a b $ Windows 7
May 23, 2012 6:16:04 PM

NO, never clone an SSD!

Well, SSD to SSD would be okay, but HDD to SSD is not. But I am off-topic.

I always recommend these sites to SSD users. They will lenghten the SSD life and get better usage out of it:

The SSD Review - SSD Optimization Guide

OCZ Blog - SSD Tips & Tweaks

You don't have to do them all, or any. They are just tips.

The worst thing for a SSD is too many write cycles. Multiple formatting is the very bad thing! Use Secure Erase to blank a used drive, not format (even though Windows will do a quick format upon installation).

Secure Erase is a function for almost all modern drives (HDD or SSD), and need a utility to execute it. Parted Magic or OCZ's Toolbox have it.
!