Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best Headphones Under $150???

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
November 25, 2004 7:22:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
home stereo (Sony receiver). I really want something that has
excellent sound, is excellent at managing very high volumes, has
outstanding bass, looks good, and is comfortable. I've heard about
Grado SR80's but have also heard they don't handle a loud sound or
bass reak well and are not the most comfortable headphones (This is
just from what I've heard). If anyone has an alternative
recommendation, I'd much appreciate it... or are those Grado
headphones the best out there. Thanks for any advice!!!

Julie

More about : headphones 150

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 3:48:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

"Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com...
> Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
> home stereo (Sony receiver). I really want something that has
> excellent sound, is excellent at managing very high volumes, has
> outstanding bass, looks good, and is comfortable. I've heard about
> Grado SR80's but have also heard they don't handle a loud sound or
> bass reak well and are not the most comfortable headphones (This is
> just from what I've heard). If anyone has an alternative
> recommendation, I'd much appreciate it... or are those Grado
> headphones the best out there. Thanks for any advice!!!

I have a pair of the grado sr-80s and absolutely love them.. definitley the
best pair of heads i've ever bought (even though thats not many) but they
some absolutely awesome. i dont find them uncomfortable at all.


>
> Julie
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 6:14:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

I prefer Sennheisers over Grados, I just liked the more natural sound of the
Senn's better. Plus I found the Grado's very uncomfortable, the Senns fit
much better. Notice they are actually shaped like an ear so they fit better.


"Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com...
> Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
> home stereo (Sony receiver). I really want something that has
> excellent sound, is excellent at managing very high volumes, has
> outstanding bass, looks good, and is comfortable. I've heard about
> Grado SR80's but have also heard they don't handle a loud sound or
> bass reak well and are not the most comfortable headphones (This is
> just from what I've heard). If anyone has an alternative
> recommendation, I'd much appreciate it... or are those Grado
> headphones the best out there. Thanks for any advice!!!
>
> Julie
Related resources
November 26, 2004 6:47:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

I have Stax electrostats ($2K), Sennheisher HD650's ($500), and Grado SR80's
($90).

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Grado's are so uncomfortable since they are
FABULOUS sounding phones. I replaced their pumice-like cushions with some
cheap ones from Radio Shack. They still sound great and they're a little
more comfortable.

I would say that you should spend an additional $1850 and get the Stax. You
will NOT be dissapointed. If not, the best Sennheisher's (for $150) may be
your best choice.

Bob


"Pug Fugley" <nosir@not.com> wrote in message
news:bcxpd.730$u81.625@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I prefer Sennheisers over Grados, I just liked the more natural sound of
the
> Senn's better. Plus I found the Grado's very uncomfortable, the Senns fit
> much better. Notice they are actually shaped like an ear so they fit
better.
>
>
> "Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com...
> > Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
> > home stereo (Sony receiver). I really want something that has
> > excellent sound, is excellent at managing very high volumes, has
> > outstanding bass, looks good, and is comfortable. I've heard about
> > Grado SR80's but have also heard they don't handle a loud sound or
> > bass reak well and are not the most comfortable headphones (This is
> > just from what I've heard). If anyone has an alternative
> > recommendation, I'd much appreciate it... or are those Grado
> > headphones the best out there. Thanks for any advice!!!
> >
> > Julie
>
>
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 12:20:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Bob <nimby1_notspamm_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>Yeah, it's unfortunate that Grado's are so uncomfortable since they are
>FABULOUS sounding phones. I replaced their pumice-like cushions with some
>cheap ones from Radio Shack. They still sound great and they're a little
>more comfortable.

The new Grados are much more comfortable. If yours have the older cushions,
call up Grado and order a pair of the new-style cushions. You will be much,
much happier.
--scott


--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 1:28:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Sony MDR-7506

"Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com...
> Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
> home stereo (Sony receiver).
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:47:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Listening to headphones at high volume is a sure formula for hearing
loss - don't do it. The Grado headphones are more efficient and
therefore produce a more dynamic and higher level output at any given
level setting than most other phones. They are also amazingly clear
and have a good frequency response. They are not uncomfortable to wear
for 90% of users (if you have a fat head or "big hair", then you're
out of luck!). They are light in weight and fit snugly and
comfortably. The SR225 is the best value if you can invest in a set at
$150 or more (they are $195) and the SR60 is a bargain of bargains at
$70.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com...
> Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
> home stereo (Sony receiver). I really want something that has
> excellent sound, is excellent at managing very high volumes, has
> outstanding bass, looks good, and is comfortable. I've heard about
> Grado SR80's but have also heard they don't handle a loud sound or
> bass reak well and are not the most comfortable headphones (This is
> just from what I've heard). If anyone has an alternative
> recommendation, I'd much appreciate it... or are those Grado
> headphones the best out there. Thanks for any advice!!!
>
> Julie
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:57:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

wardnine@hotmail.com (Julie) wrote in message news:<17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com>...
> Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
> home stereo (Sony receiver). I really want something that has
> excellent sound, is excellent at managing very high volumes, has
> outstanding bass, looks good, and is comfortable. I've heard about
> Grado SR80's but have also heard they don't handle a loud sound or
> bass reak well and are not the most comfortable headphones (This is
> just from what I've heard). If anyone has an alternative
> recommendation, I'd much appreciate it... or are those Grado
> headphones the best out there. Thanks for any advice!!!
>
> Julie

just bought the grado 80's last week.
Sound great, and slightly uncomfortable.
If your looking for something that blocks out some outside sound,
they're not a good choice, but if your listening loud it won't matter.
The most comfortable headphones i tried were the bose triports. I like
how they fit around your whole ear without touching it. Could not
really compare the sound because i did not have them side by side with
the grado's but i remember them sounding pretty good as well.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 8:49:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

My top two headphones in that price range are the Sennheiser HD280 pro followed
closely by the Sony 7506.

-lee-
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 10:27:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Hey Julie,

It's a fairly subjective topic, discussed to death many times over herein
and elsewhere, everybody loves the ones they've come to love.

I love my Fostex T40, see:

http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file=products/accessori...

Let us know what you choose.

-rj-


www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
www.lchb.ca


"Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com...
> Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
> home stereo (Sony receiver). I really want something that has
> excellent sound, is excellent at managing very high volumes, has
> outstanding bass, looks good, and is comfortable. I've heard about
> Grado SR80's but have also heard they don't handle a loud sound or
> bass reak well and are not the most comfortable headphones (This is
> just from what I've heard). If anyone has an alternative
> recommendation, I'd much appreciate it... or are those Grado
> headphones the best out there. Thanks for any advice!!!
>
> Julie
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 11:55:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Sony 7506. Sound fine at home or in the studio. Impedence be damned;)
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 12:08:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

In
rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc,
on Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:28:05 -0600, "Markeau"
<please_reply@news.group> wrote:

>Sony MDR-7506

I wouldn't recommend those for plugging into a typical "home
stereo" headphone jack with their usual 150 ohm series resistors from
the speaker outputs. They've got a big resonance that only goes away
when driven by a very low (about one ohm or less) impedance.
I like the AKG 240M, both the way they sound and how comfortable
they are (I think some of it is just a bigger volume inside the earcup
so my ears don't warm up as much). They're open-back and so let more
outside sound in (and let the sound in the transducers out as well),
but that's not a problem in many applications.
The AKG 270 was being blown out at $99 each maybe a year back
(previous street price was over $200), I don't suppose there are any
more of those left, but it's successor, the 271, has a street price
only a little above your limit.

>"Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com...
>> Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
>> home stereo (Sony receiver).

Go to a Guitar Center or other big music retailer with a pro-audio
section - they usually have a "wall of headphones" and you can listen
most of the models mentioned in this thread and make up your own mind.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 12:08:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

"Ben Bradley" <ben_nospam_bradley@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:905fq01e85fdn1n4qj1mcui1ajlpgf40n4@4ax.com...

> I like the AKG 240M, both the way they sound and how comfortable
> they are.

Me too. They're comfortable for hours on end, and the sound is very
accurate. That's why you see them so commonly in recording studios. Great
choice for home listening.

RichC
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 3:22:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Tom Hartman wrote:
> Sony 7506. Sound fine at home or in the studio. Impedence be damned;)

Great for reinforcing that upper midrange hearing damage from which many of us already suffer.
November 27, 2004 3:40:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Define "NEW"! I bought mine (Grado 125) 2 months ago and the feel just like
the old pair of 80's I had before?


"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
news:co7e40$17e$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Bob <nimby1_notspamm_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>Yeah, it's unfortunate that Grado's are so uncomfortable since they are
>>FABULOUS sounding phones. I replaced their pumice-like cushions with some
>>cheap ones from Radio Shack. They still sound great and they're a little
>>more comfortable.
>
> The new Grados are much more comfortable. If yours have the older
> cushions,
> call up Grado and order a pair of the new-style cushions. You will be
> much,
> much happier.
> --scott
>
>
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:08:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Spectre <Noneofyourbusiness@bye.com> wrote:
>Define "NEW"! I bought mine (Grado 125) 2 months ago and the feel just like
>the old pair of 80's I had before?

Probably about three or four years ago they went to the new ear pieces.
If you got yours two months ago and you have the deep pads instead of
thin flat ones with no hole in the center, call Grado.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:34:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< The new Grados are much more comfortable. If yours have the older cushions,
call up Grado and order a pair of the new-style cushions. You will be much,
much happier.
--scott
>>



I don't find the Grados uncomfortable at all, but the standard of construction
is kinda cheesy, i.e. what's up with the ear unit being able to swivel
completely around? Too bad, since they sound so good.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:38:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< > Sony 7506. Sound fine at home or in the studio. >>



Musicians tend to like the hypiness the Sonys impart to their instruments, so I
give these to drummers & bass players a lot. Singers & wind players tend to
prefer the openess & naturalness of the AKG 240.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:41:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Has anybody heard the AKG K1000? A location recordist at a gig in Netherlands
recently had a pair of them & they seemed pretty damn impressive, though I only
had a short listen to them. I think I would typify them as "ear speakers"
rather than as "headphones" though.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:41:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> Has anybody heard the AKG K 1000? A location recordist
> at a gig in Netherlands recently had a pair of them & they
> seemed pretty damn impressive, though I only had a short
> listen to them. I think I would typify them as "ear speakers"
> rather than as "headphones" though.

A good point; the better Stax are similarly designed, with the (large) driver
well-away from the ear so that its output can properly stimulate the pinnae.

Problem is, the K 1000 costs more than $150 -- $550 more. I reviewed them for
Stereophile when they first came out, ca. 1990. My sample had severe (and
measurable) midrange resonances; they honked like a flight of geese.

The K 1000 was taken off the market for a while, possibly because of my negative
review. I don't know what the current version sounds like. I've never heard a
pair of AKG 'phones, at any price point, that I considered either accurate
and/or euphonic. But I'm prejudiced towards planar drivers; if the K 1000's
design were executed properly, it would almost certainly be among the best
dynamic 'phones.

Sennheiser and Grado are the best choices. Grados tend to have a more "forward"
sound, Sennheisers are more laid-back, so pick according to the perspective you
prefer.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 9:15:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <10qhikhqd8i6mb5@corp.supernews.com>, William Sommerwerck
wrote:

> Sennheiser and Grado are the best choices. Grados tend to have a more
> "forward"
> sound, Sennheisers are more laid-back, so pick according to the perspective
> you prefer.

*My* problem is I don't know which I prefer, I have a pair of JVC
HA-D990 headphones that I use for location recording. I really like
them, and when I compared them to my friend's Sony 7506s, the hyped
sound ruled them out as a replacement.

Anyone have a manufacture/model they recommend to replace my JVC's?

Doug
morand@denison.edu
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:29:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Douglas Moran <morand@denison.edu> wrote:
>
>*My* problem is I don't know which I prefer, I have a pair of JVC
>HA-D990 headphones that I use for location recording. I really like
>them, and when I compared them to my friend's Sony 7506s, the hyped
>sound ruled them out as a replacement.

I find the exaggerated top end on the 7506 and MDR-V6 to be very handy
for field recording work. It's not accurate, but it easily exaggerates
background noises which can be very handy.

>Anyone have a manufacture/model they recommend to replace my JVC's?

Well, what's wrong with the JVCs that you want to replace them?

Do you need extreme isolation? The Etymotics are hard to beat for
absolute and total isolation. The top end is pretty flat, if you ask
for that. The bottom end seems flat in my ears, but they may be different
in yours since your ear canals are a different shape. They are not cheap,
but they have amazing isolation.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 8:24:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

"Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com...
> Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
> home stereo (Sony receiver). I really want something that has
> excellent sound, is excellent at managing very high volumes, has
> outstanding bass, looks good, and is comfortable. I've heard about
> Grado SR80's but have also heard they don't handle a loud sound or
> bass reak well and are not the most comfortable headphones (This is
> just from what I've heard). If anyone has an alternative
> recommendation, I'd much appreciate it... or are those Grado
> headphones the best out there. Thanks for any advice!!!
>
> Julie

Sennheiser HD580
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:01:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< Problem is, the K 1000 costs more than $150 -- $550 more. I reviewed them
for
Stereophile when they first came out, ca. 1990. My sample had severe (and
measurable) midrange resonances; they honked like a flight of geese.
>>



The ones I heard were driven by a very tweaky hand built amplifier. Don't know
how much of an effect that has on the sound. They very much sounded like the
string quartet sounded on that stage, but it was a very limited sample in terms
of bandwidth, dynamics, transients, etc.
Scott Fraser
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:03:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< I have a pair of JVC
HA-D990 headphones that I use for location recording. I really like
them, and when I compared them to my friend's Sony 7506s, the hyped
sound ruled them out as a replacement. Anyone have a manufacture/model they
recommend to replace my JVC's?>>

If you really like the JVC's why do you want to replace them?
Scott Fraser
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:05:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< I find the exaggerated top end on the 7506 and MDR-V6 to be very handy
for field recording work. It's not accurate, but it easily exaggerates
background noises which can be very handy. >>



This is also true with the bumped up low end on the Sony's. They will reveal
HVAC traffic issues that many speakers will miss.
Scott Fraser
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 6:51:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <cob9mj$4bj$1@panix1.panix.com>,
kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> >Anyone have a manufacture/model they recommend to replace my JVC's?
>
> Well, what's wrong with the JVCs that you want to replace them?
>
> Do you need extreme isolation? The Etymotics are hard to beat for
> absolute and total isolation. The top end is pretty flat, if you ask
> for that. The bottom end seems flat in my ears, but they may be different
> in yours since your ear canals are a different shape. They are not cheap,
> but they have amazing isolation.
> --scott

Thanks Scott (and Scott Fraser). I don't want to replace them, I need
another set or two. They will get lost or broken beyond repair someday.

I'm not worried about extreme isolation, just very happy (and used to)
the sound of the JVCs.

Doug
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 12:41:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

I have 20 euro computer speakers, and they sound great.(Right now listening
to Lorraine Mc Kane let the night take the blame).If I ever need headphones
I will buy some of 5 euro.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician
FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
Ï "Bob" <nimby1_notspamm_@earthlink.net> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
news:wHxpd.836$Z%5.257@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> I have Stax electrostats ($2K), Sennheisher HD650's ($500), and Grado
SR80's
> ($90).
>
> Yeah, it's unfortunate that Grado's are so uncomfortable since they are
> FABULOUS sounding phones. I replaced their pumice-like cushions with some
> cheap ones from Radio Shack. They still sound great and they're a little
> more comfortable.
>
> I would say that you should spend an additional $1850 and get the Stax.
You
> will NOT be dissapointed. If not, the best Sennheisher's (for $150) may be
> your best choice.
>
> Bob
>
>
> "Pug Fugley" <nosir@not.com> wrote in message
> news:bcxpd.730$u81.625@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> > I prefer Sennheisers over Grados, I just liked the more natural sound of
> the
> > Senn's better. Plus I found the Grado's very uncomfortable, the Senns
fit
> > much better. Notice they are actually shaped like an ear so they fit
> better.
> >
> >
> > "Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com...
> > > Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
> > > home stereo (Sony receiver). I really want something that has
> > > excellent sound, is excellent at managing very high volumes, has
> > > outstanding bass, looks good, and is comfortable. I've heard about
> > > Grado SR80's but have also heard they don't handle a loud sound or
> > > bass reak well and are not the most comfortable headphones (This is
> > > just from what I've heard). If anyone has an alternative
> > > recommendation, I'd much appreciate it... or are those Grado
> > > headphones the best out there. Thanks for any advice!!!
> > >
> > > Julie
> >
> >
>
>
November 29, 2004 6:46:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

In article <co9u9a$61h$1@panix3.panix.com>, Scott Dorsey
<kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> Spectre <Noneofyourbusiness@bye.com> wrote:
> >Define "NEW"! I bought mine (Grado 125) 2 months ago and the feel just like
> >the old pair of 80's I had before?
>
> Probably about three or four years ago they went to the new ear pieces.
> If you got yours two months ago and you have the deep pads instead of
> thin flat ones with no hole in the center, call Grado.
> --scott
>
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."



Grado sold these models with 3 different pads. The oldest ones had your
ears closer to the drivers, and as a result they had less top end,
which was damn nice for any headphone imo.

Then they went to a thicker one that angled into the center hole - both
of these iterations had holes. The second one made the headphone sound
brighter, which I didn't like, but hey, who listens to me except my
kids ;>

The ones they ship now, as Scott said, no longer have a hole. And they
are more comfortable and they sound like the second version. Call Grado
and get a pair and try em out. The earpads are cheap and Grado is damn
nice folks.





David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

David@Celebrationsound.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 9:38:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis <dimtzortihatespam@nospamotenet.gr> wrote:

> I have 20 euro computer speakers, and they sound great.(Right now listening
> to Lorraine Mc Kane let the night take the blame).If I ever need headphones
> I will buy some of 5 euro.

Yeah, man, rec.audio.pecuniary!

--
ha
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 2:07:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'd definitely agree with both Scot and Scott. I don't like the 7506s, but
they do accentuate problems. Personally, I like Sennheiser 280s for live
work, but I usually use beyer DT770s. Of all I've worked with, these are
the best reproducing headphones with maximum comfort for 13 hour recording
frenzies. What you lose in accentuated problem recognition you gain in loss
of ear fatigue.

--


Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"ScotFraser" <scotfraser@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20041128010541.15947.00001318@mb-m02.aol.com...
> << I find the exaggerated top end on the 7506 and MDR-V6 to be very handy
> for field recording work. It's not accurate, but it easily exaggerates
> background noises which can be very handy. >>


>
> This is also true with the bumped up low end on the Sony's. They will
reveal
> HVAC traffic issues that many speakers will miss.
> Scott Fraser
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 2:11:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

If you want sets for cue systems, that's a different animal and I'd suggest
Fostex T20s. Then again, I went for dirt cheap AT AH3as because some of my
clientele were throwing my beyers on the floor when they didn't like their
takes. Hard to make clients pay attention to costs when it comes to
destroyed equipment, but even when they do pay, you still have to replace
the equipment.

--


Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Douglas Moran" <morand@denison.edu> wrote in message
news:morand-5B001C.15512628112004@news.isp.giganews.com...
> In article <cob9mj$4bj$1@panix1.panix.com>,
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
> > >Anyone have a manufacture/model they recommend to replace my JVC's?
> >
> > Well, what's wrong with the JVCs that you want to replace them?
> >
> > Do you need extreme isolation? The Etymotics are hard to beat for
> > absolute and total isolation. The top end is pretty flat, if you ask
> > for that. The bottom end seems flat in my ears, but they may be
different
> > in yours since your ear canals are a different shape. They are not
cheap,
> > but they have amazing isolation.
> > --scott
>
> Thanks Scott (and Scott Fraser). I don't want to replace them, I need
> another set or two. They will get lost or broken beyond repair someday.
>
> I'm not worried about extreme isolation, just very happy (and used to)
> the sound of the JVCs.
>
> Doug
November 29, 2004 6:40:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

"**bg**" <info@thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca> wrote in message news:<HsLpd.357017$%k.355124@pd7tw2no>...
> Hey Julie,
>
> It's a fairly subjective topic, discussed to death many times over herein
> and elsewhere, everybody loves the ones they've come to love.
>
> I love my Fostex T40, see:
>
> http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file=products/accessori...
>
> Let us know what you choose.
>
> -rj-
>
>
> www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
> www.lchb.ca
>
>
> "Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:17434405.0411251622.49cf6863@posting.google.com...
> > Hello, looking for the best headphones (under $150) to use with my
> > home stereo (Sony receiver). I really want something that has
> > excellent sound, is excellent at managing very high volumes, has
> > outstanding bass, looks good, and is comfortable. I've heard about
> > Grado SR80's but have also heard they don't handle a loud sound or
> > bass reak well and are not the most comfortable headphones (This is
> > just from what I've heard). If anyone has an alternative
> > recommendation, I'd much appreciate it... or are those Grado
> > headphones the best out there. Thanks for any advice!!!
> >
> > Julie

Hello, thanks for all the responses. I still haven't decided which
headphones I'll get but I was also looking into getting those
Sennheiser RS-100 wireless headphones that Tweeter.com has on sale for
$50... was wondering if anyone knows anything about them and how they
compare to the Sennheiser RS-110 and RS-120?? Apparently these RS-100
headphones were made specifically for sale only at Tweeter.com so I
haven't found anyone that can give me insight into these headphones
yet... does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with them??
Thanks!!!

Julie
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:38:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

"Julie" <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:17434405.0411291540.69a6ca5e@posting.google.com...

> Hello, thanks for all the responses. I still haven't decided which
> headphones I'll get but I was also looking into getting those
> Sennheiser RS-100 wireless headphones that Tweeter.com has on sale for
> $50... was wondering if anyone knows anything about them and how they
> compare to the Sennheiser RS-110 and RS-120?? Apparently these RS-100
> headphones were made specifically for sale only at Tweeter.com so I
> haven't found anyone that can give me insight into these headphones
> yet... does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with them??
> Thanks!!!

I have never tried wireless headphones, Sennheiser included, that were not
subject to noise and interference. I would strongly suggest wired 'phones
with an extension cable if sound quality matters.

It's true there are times where wireless portability is helpful, as when
watching TV while working out or doing housework. In that situation, since
sound quality will not matter much anyway, choose based on factors like
comfort, how well the 'phones stay on your head, battery life and recharger
convenience, etc. It's possible the Sennheisers will fill the bill in such
applications, but the advice that headphones should be auditioned and "tried
on" for fit and comfort still holds true. If Tweeter offers a satisfaction
guarantee, so you can return them if you don't like them, it might be worth
a try. And $50 isn't that big a gamble.

RichC
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 3:56:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Julie wrote:

> I still haven't decided which
> headphones I'll get but I was also looking into getting those
> Sennheiser RS-100 wireless headphones that Tweeter.com has on sale for
> $50... was wondering if anyone knows anything about them and how they
> compare to the Sennheiser RS-110 and RS-120?? Apparently these RS-100
> headphones were made specifically for sale only at Tweeter.com so I
> haven't found anyone that can give me insight into these headphones
> yet... does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with them??

Hit google's advanced group search and look for posts from Tonebarge
talking about the wireless phones he's been using at his studio.

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

--
ha
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 11:22:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Bob <nimby1_notspamm_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Yeah, it's unfortunate that Grado's are so uncomfortable since they are
>>FABULOUS sounding phones. I replaced their pumice-like cushions with some
>>cheap ones from Radio Shack. They still sound great and they're a little
>>more comfortable.
>
>
> The new Grados are much more comfortable. If yours have the older cushions,
> call up Grado and order a pair of the new-style cushions. You will be much,
> much happier.

Definately better now - and the headband has a bit less "squeeze".
You'd have to spend $200 or more to get better sound.
!