Hyberfil.sys

Altwolf

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
So when I leave my computer it goes into hibernation mode, how ever when I come back it acts like its loading and then the POST comes up after that it says:
"Your computer can't come out of hibernation.

Info:A fatal error occurred processing the restoration data.

File: \hiberfil.sys

Any information that was not saved before the computer went into hibernation will be lost."

It does this ever time it goes into hibernation, I disabled it and I have no problems now but I want my computer to hibernate because I leave it on all day long and it will wear components out faster and waste power. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated, I have tried updating all the drivers and hardware drivers from the website for the HD but nothing helped.

Solution
Use the dos comd to dissable hybernation. Then reboot. This will delete the hyberfil.sys file from the HD. This might be a good time to run chkdisk and defrag to make sure your HD is working correctly.
After you reboot use the dos command to re-enable hybernation. Your computer will make a nice new Hyberfil.sys in one big block on your newly de fragged HD.
This also speeds up the wakeup time a bit.

command prompt, type
powercfg.exe -h off
press ENTER

OSU Cowboy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
What's your OS? Assuming Windows 7, try running SFC /SCANNOW. This will check for any system file issues. This would be my starting point Good luck!

Edit: This also speaks to a possible memory issue. If nothing comes back from SFC /SCANNOW, try running a memory test.

OSU Cowboy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Its 7's system file checker. This doesn't sound like a HD issue. SFC will take some time. If that doesn't turn up anything I recommend running a memory test to see if one of your modules is bad.

Altwolf

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

Where do I find the SFC? and would I need to find a program to do mem tests?

OSU Cowboy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Just type SFC /SCANNOW in the "search programs and files" when you click on the "start" button. Then double click the icon it brings up.

For memory test:

Open the Start menu.

In the Start Menu search box, type mdsched and press Enter

Select the "Restart now and check for problems" option.

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011

Click the start button, search 'cmd' and right click 'Run as admin' the, in the command prompt window, type sfc /scannow

bucknutty

Distinguished
Use the dos comd to dissable hybernation. Then reboot. This will delete the hyberfil.sys file from the HD. This might be a good time to run chkdisk and defrag to make sure your HD is working correctly.
After you reboot use the dos command to re-enable hybernation. Your computer will make a nice new Hyberfil.sys in one big block on your newly de fragged HD.
This also speeds up the wakeup time a bit.

command prompt, type
powercfg.exe -h off
press ENTER

Solution

Altwolf

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm doing the defrag now, the diskcheck will take a few hours. but for some reason my computer got EXTREMELY sluggish during the memtest I chose the extended test and it took about 15 secs to go into the "options" page, the text was showing up like one of those movies in 1985 when they would talk to other people lmao

Altwolf

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

OK, now when I put it in hibernation it does come back, thank you so much! sorry it took a while to respond but i have been moving and finally got my computer back up

marcrdz

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
had this same problem and my solution i think it was to load default settings on the BIOS and i say i think because i did reintall video driver, turn on & off hibernation and change advance settings in power managment to some time in sleep while conected and multimedia sharing to allow to sleep.

overall i think it was the uefi boot that was on.