Boot new laptop from external xp drive

jsamcr

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hello, I am planning to move to another country and do not want to transport my desktop Win XP system. If I were to buy a new laptop maching can I set up the hard drive from my desktop, as an external device, so that the new laptop can boot from that external drive? My XP drive is SATA. I really did not know how to categorize this question so I Windows 7, assuming the new laptop would have that OS.

modern laptops should be able to boot from an external drive ok

but chances are you will get blue screened due to driver conflicts

though the linux installation may work better than the windows xp one

never tried to do it with ubuntu

whats on the xp drive that you need?

cant you just copy or install it to your new laptop?

jsamcr

Honorable
May 23, 2012
After thinking about it I am sure you correct that there will be driver issues. My Linux installation is fairly recent so may be able to work okay. As to what do I have on the XP drive, well lots of things for which I no longer have the disks (lost during the move to Costa Rica). But it is mostly that I just really like XP. I have looked at Windows 7, and YES it is fast. It is also really intrusive from a Microsoft standpoint. I don't like people snooping at my machine. In XP I am able to turn of the windows logon validation and pretty much keep them out of my hair. I have heard that Win 7 is pretty intrusive, but I may be wrong. If I could I would convert over to Linux but there are some things that don't have equivalents.