Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Treo 600 - does it have Graffiti 2?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 5:15:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Does the Treo 600 (and forthcoming 610) have stylus based text input? or is
it just the keyboard that's used for inputting?


--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

More about : treo 600 graffiti

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 6:12:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

No Graffiti on the Treo600

you'll get used to the keyboard - I used graffiti for years on my Palm
III and Clie

If you insist you can install "Graffiti Anywhere" and it works on the
Treo 600

Chuck Palm

Aloke Prasad wrote:
> Does the Treo 600 (and forthcoming 610) have stylus based text input? or is
> it just the keyboard that's used for inputting?
>
>
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 10:20:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Thanks for the info.

What's the stylus for in Treo 600? I thought it's main use would be to
input text (like in Vx)...

Is Graffiti Anywhere free? I thought there were copyright issues in making
Graffiti available on devices that Palm has not already supplied it with ...

--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

"Chuck Palm" <palm_user@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:D AKuc.10888$fw6.8870@fe39.usenetserver.com...
> No Graffiti on the Treo600

> If you insist you can install "Graffiti Anywhere" and it works on the
> Treo 600

> Aloke Prasad wrote:
> > Does the Treo 600 (and forthcoming 610) have stylus based text input?
or is
> > it just the keyboard that's used for inputting?
Related resources
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 10:20:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Aloke Prasad wrote:

> Thanks for the info.

> Is Graffiti Anywhere free? I thought there were copyright issues in
> making
> Graffiti available on devices that Palm has not already supplied it with
> ...

Graffiti Anywhere is free as is Newpen which also does the same thing.
There's no copyright issue involved as the Treo 600 already has the
Graffiti II libraries on it when you take it out of the box. The only
reason you can't use Graffiti on it is because it has no input area.
Graffiti Anywhere and Newpen get around this by allowing you to write on
the screen.
--
Does this .sig make my butt look big?

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 11:37:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:20:19 +0000, Aloke Prasad wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> What's the stylus for in Treo 600? I thought it's main use would be to
> input text (like in Vx)...

Its for the touch screen, you can move around and select with the
keyboard, but it is a whole lot easier to use the stylus.
Alan.

--
To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 4:00:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Zombie Elvis" <NOSPAMrobertocastillo@ameritech.net> wrote in message
news:BCE0FA33yf@ameritech.net...
> Aloke Prasad wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the info.
>
> > Is Graffiti Anywhere free? I thought there were copyright issues in
> > making
> > Graffiti available on devices that Palm has not already supplied it with
> > ...
>
> Graffiti Anywhere is free as is Newpen which also does the same thing.
> There's no copyright issue involved as the Treo 600 already has the
> Graffiti II libraries on it when you take it out of the box. The only
> reason you can't use Graffiti on it is because it has no input area.
> Graffiti Anywhere and Newpen get around this by allowing you to write on
> the screen.

Why did PalmOne include Graffiti if they did not intend to make it
available?

I wonder if future versions will include Graffiti II libraries...

(I'm holding out for the next generation Treo with higher resolution
hopefully later this year?)
--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 4:00:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

It was a time of great turmoil. The strong preyed on the weak, dogs
and cats lived together. One voice cried out in the wilderness: "Aloke
Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in
<mGPuc.13160$DG4.5405@fe2.columbus.rr.com>:

>
> "Zombie Elvis" <NOSPAMrobertocastillo@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> news:BCE0FA33yf@ameritech.net...
> > Aloke Prasad wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the info.
> >
> > > Is Graffiti Anywhere free? I thought there were copyright issues in
> > > making
> > > Graffiti available on devices that Palm has not already supplied it with
> > > ...
> >
> > Graffiti Anywhere is free as is Newpen which also does the same thing.
> > There's no copyright issue involved as the Treo 600 already has the
> > Graffiti II libraries on it when you take it out of the box. The only
> > reason you can't use Graffiti on it is because it has no input area.
> > Graffiti Anywhere and Newpen get around this by allowing you to write on
> > the screen.
>
> Why did PalmOne include Graffiti if they did not intend to make it
> available?

The Treo 600 was originally developed by Handspring which had
developed the original Treo 180 and 270. Basically, Graffiti is part
of the standard PalmOS and its easier to leave it in than take out
when you are customizing an OS to your machine; so Handspring left it
in and it turned out to be a good thing when people started asking for
a way to use Graffiti on their Treos. The logic behind this decision
is that they assume that if you're knowledgeable enough about the
PalmOS to miss Graffiti, you'll be smart enough to hunt down Graffiti
Anywhere or Newpen and install them on your Treo.
>
> I wonder if future versions will include Graffiti II libraries...
>
They already do include the Graffiti II libraries with the 600 (sorry,
I should have been more specific.

> (I'm holding out for the next generation Treo with higher resolution
> hopefully later this year?)

Who knows? Rumors have been flying about a Treo 610 with higher
resolution and Bluetooth for the past few months. The current Treos
are selling well enough that PalmOne has been facing a parts shortage
so that may or may not bode well for a next gen Treo.

--
Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
http://www.freewebs.com/robertocastillo/
!