CAT6 File transfer speed <1MBps

Solution
Yes, I would expect that the gigabit USB adapter would improve your transfer speeds.

But 12MB/s is still pretty slow if everything else is actually gigabit capable; what are your other components (router model and other computer adapter model or motherboard model if integrated) and are there any other switches in the path.

Once you get the new adapter, we should be able to get your speeds up closer to what you should get -- in the 100MB/s range if all other components are gigabit capable.

What HTPC do you have?

RealBeast

Titan
So, just to get some of the details straight.

Are you using Windows Homegroups or a real workgroup network with file sharing and/or mapped drives (and both machines use the same workgroup)?

Any wireless involved or is it just the Ethernet connected machines that you described?

Are all devices in the network path gigabit and have you tested all your cables, particularly the 150 foot run, with a cable tester?

one80oneday

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

Thanks for the reply! I've tested the cable using a different computer than my HTPC (Homegroup) and get about 12MBps. For some reason my Ethernet port on my new HTPC doesn't work (Tried many different drivers with no success) so I've been using an Ethernet to USB adapter which is probably causing the slow connection since all other PCs I've tried get a decent speed. If I switch to a Gigabit USB adapter do you think I'll get better speeds? (IE http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3504463&CatId=2379) A new PCI isn't an option since all my slots are used with tv tuners.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, I would expect that the gigabit USB adapter would improve your transfer speeds.

But 12MB/s is still pretty slow if everything else is actually gigabit capable; what are your other components (router model and other computer adapter model or motherboard model if integrated) and are there any other switches in the path.

Once you get the new adapter, we should be able to get your speeds up closer to what you should get -- in the 100MB/s range if all other components are gigabit capable.

What HTPC do you have?

Solution

one80oneday

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

I don't think anything I have is Gigabit capable actually since everything I've built cost less than $300. Router is Rosewill RNX-N400LX, office pc is K9N6PGM2-V2 (MS-7309) 2.0 and my media pc is H61M-E23 (MS-7680) 2.0. I don't know why the ethernet doesn't work. When I try to install intel drivers is says it can't find the port and the port doesn't light up when I plug in. I've also checked BIOS but everything seems normal there too.

one80oneday

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

Wow, thanks. I knew gigabit was faster but not that much faster in real life situations. If this new adapter works then maybe I'll upgrade everything else although I only need it for HD movie streaming and recorded tv.

RealBeast

Titan
On my gigabit Ethernet with a couple of switches and a router and 7 or 8 machines (all with SSDs) I get transfer rates of 850Mbps consistently. My wireless segments are N only with 3 APs (WPA2/AES) but are still much slower at 90-100Mbps. I do all of my full HD movies over Ethernet from a NAS box with 8 x 3Tb in Raid 6 where I keep images of all my BluRay disks, works quite well streaming to HTPCs with only small SSDs.

one80oneday

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

Nice, I've been waiting to upgrade my router when wireless AC becomes a little more affordable. All I want is a whole house DVR media player, shouldn't be this hard/expensive.

RealBeast

Titan
W would recommend waiting at least 12 months on ac, as it is not yet a fully baked standard. I am using single band N and will stick with that for wireless until ac is really ready for prime time.

one80oneday

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

If I upgrade my PCs to Gigabit and got a Gigabit switch would it still be possible to get 100mbps without upgrading my router?

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, if the machines are on the gigabit switch with gigabit adapters they would transfer between each other at gigabit speed over that CAT6.