Need getting internet into a part of my house.

nes

Distinguished
May 3, 2012
Hello let me start by telling you my set up. I have a router that has optic fiber in my living room with a at&t router and has wifi (if that matters). My problem is that I need to get internet to a desktop that's in my room along with a ps3.I would run a long Ethernet cable from the router but my mom would go crazy if i did so that's not a option as well as running a ethernet cable threw the attic. My question is how do i get internet to that computer and my ps3.

I have been looking at this this router (below). I'm wondering if it is possible to use the wifi from my router to connect it to the new one to make it a hard line Ethernet cable to my computer. So basically like this router>wireless connection>RT-N56U>computer/ps3 . And would the connection be good for browsing the Internet as well hd streaming,playing on the pc. Thank you for your help!

Which one would be better?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049YQVHE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
or
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZT23ZE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

nes

Distinguished
May 3, 2012
The wireless router is the stock one you get for signing up with at&t. Would the asus RT-N56U be able to be setup like this [wireless router]<-- wireless -->[wireless ethernet bridge]<-- wire -->[desktop] .

nes

Distinguished
May 3, 2012
Would the speed be good enough for watching netflix and gaming? If it were setup as wireless enthernet bridge which of the items has better speeds?

Without knowing the model number of the stock AT&T router I can't tell you which link is faster. The one thing you can tell is that wireless N is the faster followed by wireless G and then B. So if you have wireless N all the way to the computer then you have the best setup for wireless. What would be better ie wired which you can't do.
The wireless N will be good enough for streaming and for gaming.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Swapping your stock router for a high end router probably wont give you the connection you are looking for. You may get a bit of a stronger signal but I wouldn't be hoping for too much. I would say that your best option would be a wireless extender. You could place it somewhere closer to your room and get a decent signal to your PC and PS3.

If you are willing to spend $100 for an ASUS router you could get these for less and make a great improvement on your home network. I have seen these in action and suggested them to many people and I can say that they are worth the buy!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704049
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704038R

nes

Distinguished
May 3, 2012
I'm not trying to swap that with my at&t router because it just doesn't let you. Im not that far away from my router i just thought i could use the asus router in my room as a wireless ethernet bridge. I not that knowledgeable about router so would that work. And i looked at the routers ngrego that you suggested but it only has one enthernet cable outlet and would get tireing having to swap out the wire every time.

You can connect two routers to a wireless network and I have done that, how ever I did run and ethernet cable from one router to the other. I feel that the strongest connection is a wired connection so I have taken the time to run wires which I know how to do. I still have wireless routers connected for laptops and cell phones to be connected.
I think that in your case you should go with the Asus repeater that you linked in youe first post.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I see... What you are looking for is a wireless bridge then! That kind of functionality is available on some routers but not all Im afraid.
You could possibly try that custom WRT firmware wich may give you the extras on the hardware you already have at NO cost.
ANother option you could look at is connecting a switch to an extender which will give you the extra ports you need. It will probably cost you less too, switches are very cheap.

nes

Distinguished
May 3, 2012

Could the ASUS Black Diamond Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router (RT-N56U) work as a wireless Ethernet bridge without any other add on's. Im really leaning toward this i just like some of the features on this particular on.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I don't know if thats possible, I downloaded the manual for the RT-N56U but it doesn't say anything specific about a bridging mode for this router. Looking through the manual I do see an indication in the Advanced Settings regarding "Bridge" under Wireless (page 33), without any further expalnation. You could check that out and maybe find a solution without buying any new hardware.

Otherwise I can only suggest looking into a buying a bridge or a router that does have bridging capability. Of the two a better option would probably be a router, because there are not too many options available on the market for wireless bridges. Also bridges usualy have 1-2 ethernet ports so you may also need a small switch. When on the other hand a router that works also as a bridge will surely offer at least 4 ethernet ports, and certainly cost alot less.

nes

Distinguished
May 3, 2012

I asked somebody and they said its possible to set it up as a repeater and also found you can make it a access point mode. Not sure if this is what is needed but here is a link http://support.asus.com/faq/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=11&m=RT-N56U&s=2&hashedid=ik8J7ZTvg1uktpab&os=&no=7E65258B-E733-ED75-311F-9BA6E2C229E3 .

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
My advice would be powerline adapters.

Google it.

2x powerline adapters with mini ethernet cables usually supplied.

One mini ethernet from your router into the powerline adapter, the powerline adapter plugs into a main socket in your house.

Then plug another powerline adapter upstairs in your house in your room with an ethernet coming out of that one to use in PS3 or computer.

Speed of wired but with no cables running through the house.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
The thing is that when working in AP mode I'm pretty sure that you will need to have the "AP" cabled to the initial router. As you will see in the images on the link you posted there are cables connecting the AP to the router. That is the way that APs work.
If there is a "repeater mode" then that changes things. I did a few tests with a wireless router I have in the office and when it is set to work in repeater mode it was able to connect via wireless to the existing wireless network and allow a cabled connection through its LAN port to a device.
Regarding powerline adaptors, I don't really trust the way they work to invest in buying them. They may work very well in some cases and be totaly crap in other. It all depends on the electrical circuitry in the home they will be used in. They are worth a try but, it was possible to test a pair out before buying I would definately do so!

nes

Distinguished
May 3, 2012
Trying to get the RT-N56U doesn't seem like it will work but are there other stuff that will give me a strong signal and do what im asking for. Any suggestions?