Netgear N600 WNDR 3400 or 3700

roghero

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
The only difference I can see is the 3700 has gigabit ports. Any other performance differences that anyone can tell me about with these two routers? I already have the 3400 but I am wondering if I chose the wrong router seeing as the 3700 is only ten bucks more. Can anyone tell me what there experiences were or there knowledge of these two products or even opinions. I have a gaming PC hard wired, ps³ wireless, nexus 7 wireless, and LG Media Player wireless in a 1400 square foot house with one wall between ps3 and 2 walls between media player. I doubt range will be an issue with either routers though. I might transfer files between PC's later on but 10/100 should still be pretty good speed or not so much?

Solution
The wireless part most likely exactly the same. Depending on the exact version number of the main boards they used to use the identical chip. Your router support DD-WRT so there is lots of interesting firmware information on that site even if you do not run that firmware.

The only advantage as you noticed is that if you transfer between PC on wired connections it will run faster. Most the time only people who are using network storage devices or streaming uncompressed blueray video need gig.

It will have little to no impact on wireless to wired traffic since the wireless speeds are some magic best case thing nobody ever gets. It is likely the 100m wired ports are still faster than the real world wireless speeds you can get.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
The wireless part most likely exactly the same. Depending on the exact version number of the main boards they used to use the identical chip. Your router support DD-WRT so there is lots of interesting firmware information on that site even if you do not run that firmware.

The only advantage as you noticed is that if you transfer between PC on wired connections it will run faster. Most the time only people who are using network storage devices or streaming uncompressed blueray video need gig.

It will have little to no impact on wireless to wired traffic since the wireless speeds are some magic best case thing nobody ever gets. It is likely the 100m wired ports are still faster than the real world wireless speeds you can get.

Solution

roghero

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Thank you for the reply!