disleksik

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
I'm getting a new computer, and need to decide if I really need to spend my money of CAS2 features or can just go for some Munshkin basic mem.. Talking DDR ofcourse..
Please tell me how do I profit of a CAS2 considering I'm not really into overclocking the new CPU..

<font color=red> text </font color=red>THIS VOILENCE IN THE NAME OF LOVE

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
If your not planning to overclock, CAS 2 is a waste of money. Its speed increases is marginal and its not worth the price.

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnects free of charge"

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
If your not planning to overclock, CAS 2 is a waste of money. Its speed increases is marginal and its not worth the price.
that really doesn't make any sense. How is the performance benefit of CAS2 any different between a 'stock' system and an overclocked system? Unless you are talking about the fact that most CAS2 memory is very overclockable.

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vegandago on 12/13/02 12:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
CAS2 is simply faster. It has less latency. It has nothing to do with OCing the CPU. It simply has to do with having faster memory.

So the question comes down to: Is a small performance increase worth the extra money to you? If so, get CAS2. If not, get CAS2.5 or CAS3.

And if you're not afraid to OC your memory, then get CAS2.5 RAM and OC it to CAS2 timings.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
If you're getting a new computer with the hope of future upgradability, get at least DDR400 SDRAM memory - 400MHz DDR FSB Barton processor on the AMD side and 800MHz QDR FSB prescott processors on the intel side as future candidates. Definitely go Cas2. The best memory I can find out there right now is <A HREF="http://www.coldconcept.com/default.php/cPath/39_42/osCsid/bacb71282522ff2370ab505db85302d5" target="_new">OCZ PC3500 CL2 Enhanced Latency (EL) memory</A>. Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard on the AMD side and Gigabyte 8INXP motherboard (avail in late Dec 2002) on the Intel side.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
CAS2 has lower latency (i.e. it is faster) and more overclocking potential.

However, you need to ask yourself if the 40-50% (or 70-80% for the 434Mhz Corsair stuff) extra cost (in the UK) over Micron/Crucial CAS 2.5 is really worth it. Some people may have bottomless pockets here, but for most people the difference between CAS2 & CAS 2.5 can be spent on something much more visible/useful.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Hello. In terms of future upgradability, it is certainly worth it. A year or so down the road, someone will ask:

"I have DDR333 memory and I want to get optimal performance out of the 400MHz DDR FSB barton processor I plan to buy. I am aware that in order to get optimal performance out my barton I need to run the memory in sync with the FSB. Did someone give me a bad memory recommendation? I would have spent the extra dollars back then if I had known. Now I have to buy new memory."

Alot of those people who bought DDR266 memory for their 1600+ and 1700+ processor would've been better off with DDR333 memory back then. Now they need at least DDR333 memory in order to upgrade to a 333MHz DDR FSB TBred processor and they're not happy about it. I see your point though. Good points all around. :wink:

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Hopefully, DDR400 will be much cheaper when the the Barton becomes available; therefore, the hassle of buying extra memory won't be too bad.

You can look it both ways I guess; I sacrificed the service life of my memory (DDR266) in order to buy a bigger HD, a faster CD-RW drive, and a faster CPU. I won't be upgrading for at least a year, so having uber-memory in a PC full of slower everthing wouldn't make sense...

TRENDING THREADS