Gaming on win8

mrwil

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
if i where to install windows 8 beta to my pc will i still be able to play games that i play? i want to try windows 8 but if it wont let me play my games i wont install it then

carlosb

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
It already uses 2gb of your precious ram so most likely it will not perform as expected plus games right now are made for windows 7/vista. It also is in beta so even if you could install some games, it is another reason why they wouldn't perform as expected. You could just change compatibility settings to windows 7 but i don't know if that works.

G

Where is your proof? I don't know where this is coming from. Windows 8 does in fact has higher gpu/cpu usage(I believe)(but not signifcantly) but the ram part you just made up. 2gb!?! With google chrome, and word up, I'm only using 0.8gb.

carlosb

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Where is your proof? I don't know where this is coming from. Windows 8 does in fact has higher gpu/cpu usage(I believe)(but not signifcantly) but the ram part you just made up. 2gb!?! With google chrome, and word up, I'm only using 0.8gb.
I didn't make up the ram usage. I'm sorry if I'm wrong but when windows 8 first came out i watched a video about it in which they actually admitted windows 8 will use 2gb ram. Maybe I missheard? :heink: I also couldn't believe it, so maybe I did mishear... sorry :whistle:

G

Maybe what you're thinking of is minimum requirements? Probably :D

bucknutty

Distinguished
I used the consumer preview for about a month with steam games. Every steam game I tried worked great, I even went to a MW3 lan party and did 2 days straight.. no issues. Windows 8 feels faster but that is probably because it is a clean install with no process running.

I got sick of the metro UI and ditched it. I don't get metro....

bucknutty

Distinguished
about ram I have 8gbs and system usage while playing MW3 is 3.75, in windows 8 it was only 3.5... again that can be because of less process running in the back ground... Windows 8 uses less ram and is better at returning free ram back to the pool.

carlosb

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Most likely is that CA does not support windows 8... yet :(
or maybe by any chance you forgot to install the nvidia/amd drivers?

sr71pav

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I have a btand new Ivy BRidge build running the preview release. Diablo 3 is running great on the Intel HD 4000. I'm sure not going to knock it too hard that I scaled back the effects. I'm thrilled how well it runs!

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
been gaming with win8 for some time now, currently running the release preview now and all my games feel smoother, i get less jitter in games that had it before, and have had not issues with any games that i currently have installed (which is something like 75 games, mostly all current and some older back to 2004)

xa376

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I have windows 8. I used to have windows vista. I can tell you that all my games work perfectly and I can now run them at full resolution at higher graphics with 10 more fps in most cases.