Why does my wireless printer go offline every time i shut down or lose connectio

osuhallock

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I have an hp wirless printer. everytime i shut down or lose connection, i have to reinstall printer. Why won't it save to my laptop? What's the fix?

RealBeast

Titan
Don't give it a dynamic address (i.e. don't just let DHCP assign it every time) -- give it either a static or reserved dynamic address.

Otherwise the computers will not find it at the address that it had when it was installed for them if it changes addresses. The same is true for other network infrastructure, like wireless access points.

jefox

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

I have an Epson WF-2540 that would intermittently lose wireless printing capability. Changing its control panel settings to a static IP address solved the issue. Thanks!

jacpac00

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

How do I set an Epson WF 2540 to a static IP address? Please help!

jacpac00

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Please tell me how to set the Epson EF 2540 to a static IP address. Running Mac OSX 10.8.5

Birdman2010

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

I struggled with this problem for over a year! I even replaced the printer and I still had the problem. I finally found the solution on the Comcast support forum: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Problems-connecting-laptop-to-wireless-printer-over-home-network/td-p/1747247

Here is the solution:

1) Use a static IP address on your printer. Look in your user's manual and find a way to set the IP address on your printer so it doesn't change even you reboot your router. On my Epson, I go into the control panel and use the "Manual Wi-Fi Setup".

2) Routers have a setting called "AP Isolation". This setting, if enabled, isolates the Wi-Fi clients so they cannot see each other. Make sure the AP Isolation is disabled. Now, here is my problem. I had the AP Isolation disabled. However, after a few weeks, I could not hit the printer. It just wouldn't connect ("unreachable"). After reading the Comcast post, I turned the AP Isolation setting on (Enabled) and then I saved my settings. Then, I turned the AP Isolation back off (Disabled) and I saved my settings again. The wireless connection worked again! Yea! So, apparently my Cisco M20 router just starts isolating the AP clients for no reason after a few weeks even though the AP Isolation setting is disabled. Yesterday, I downloaded a new firmware for my router and I installed it. I am hoping that this firmware solves the problem permanently. However, if the printer becomes "unreachable" again, I will simply turn on AP Isolation, save settings, then turn off AP Isolation and save settings again.

I am very detailed in this post because I have been searching for this answer for over a year. This problem has caused me a lot of grief. I am hoping to save a lot of people from this hassle. Best wishes!