Track-by-track cueing CD player - does such a thing exist ?

Last response: in Home Audio
November 28, 2004 2:20:13 AM

Hi All
Hope this is the right newsgroup to ask - you were all very helpful
earlier in the year when I was looking at ways of micing the rostrum
in our church..... (ended up with 2 boundary mics - works well -
thanks !)

Next problem.
We have 2 services (Sat & Sun) at the Church - up to now we've had 2
organists - so they've shared the work out between them - no problem.

One of our organists fell and broke her leg (badly) last week. This
leaves just the one - who can't be expected to turn out 2 days a week
- as well as the other work she does for the church.

So - solution - make a CD - so that when she's not there, she can be
there (if you see what I mean). Plan to record the three of four hymns
& other bits of music as separate tracks - and whoever's chairing the
service can then stop / start the CD player at the right points.

Taking this one step further - it'd be nice if the CD player could be
set up to play tracks in a specific sequence, and would automagically
<g> play a track then stop, cued and ready to play the next track in
the playlist......

Does such a piece of kit exist ? Or would it be possible to implement
this system by going fully 'solid-state' - maybe with an MP3
player....

Anybody been there & done that ??

Operation of the system needs to be _very_ simple - ideal would be a
single big red button labelled 'play next track' - but anything
approaching this level of simplicity would be good.....

I guess I could design / build something based around a PIC - talking
to a computer cd-rom drive - but if this particular wheel has already
been 'invented' then I'd rather not reinvent it again...

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:20:14 AM

"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All
> Hope this is the right newsgroup to ask - you were all very helpful
> earlier in the year when I was looking at ways of micing the rostrum
> in our church..... (ended up with 2 boundary mics - works well -
> thanks !)
>
> Next problem.
> We have 2 services (Sat & Sun) at the Church - up to now we've had 2
> organists - so they've shared the work out between them - no problem.
>
> One of our organists fell and broke her leg (badly) last week. This
> leaves just the one - who can't be expected to turn out 2 days a week
> - as well as the other work she does for the church.
>
> So - solution - make a CD - so that when she's not there, she can be
> there (if you see what I mean). Plan to record the three of four hymns
> & other bits of music as separate tracks - and whoever's chairing the
> service can then stop / start the CD player at the right points.
>
> Taking this one step further - it'd be nice if the CD player could be
> set up to play tracks in a specific sequence, and would automagically
> <g> play a track then stop, cued and ready to play the next track in
> the playlist......
>
> Does such a piece of kit exist ? Or would it be possible to implement
> this system by going fully 'solid-state' - maybe with an MP3
> player....
>
> Anybody been there & done that ??
>
> Operation of the system needs to be _very_ simple - ideal would be a
> single big red button labelled 'play next track' - but anything
> approaching this level of simplicity would be good.....
>
> I guess I could design / build something based around a PIC - talking
> to a computer cd-rom drive - but if this particular wheel has already
> been 'invented' then I'd rather not reinvent it again...

Elektor-Electronics April-2004 "Pandora's Sound & Music Box"
Uses a single microcontroller and controls a standard PC-style
CD-ROM drive. I believe it supports the "play next" function with
one of its buttons.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:03:17 AM

In article <10qimqe3uora8a1@corp.supernews.com>, rcrowley7@xprt.net
says...
> > Taking this one step further - it'd be nice if the CD player could be
> > set up to play tracks in a specific sequence, and would automagically
> > <g> play a track then stop, cued and ready to play the next track in
> > the playlist......

Absolutely.. the Marantz PMD330 has both single-track playback and
programmed-sequence playback modes.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!

"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message

> So - solution - make a CD - so that when she's not there, she can be
> there (if you see what I mean). Plan to record the three of four hymns
> & other bits of music as separate tracks - and whoever's chairing the
> service can then stop / start the CD player at the right points.
>
> Taking this one step further - it'd be nice if the CD player could be
> set up to play tracks in a specific sequence, and would automagically
> <g> play a track then stop, cued and ready to play the next track in
> the playlist......
>
> Does such a piece of kit exist ?

Tascam pro units, designed primarily for radio station use, will do that. At
least, they'll play one track and stop, if you enable the "Auto Ready"
button. If your tracks on the CD are in the proper order, then you're home
free. I gather the Tascams can have sequences programmed in to them as well,
but I haven't needed to do that.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:14:18 PM

Hi Richard

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:59:55 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi All

<snip>

>> I guess I could design / build something based around a PIC - talking
>> to a computer cd-rom drive - but if this particular wheel has already
>> been 'invented' then I'd rather not reinvent it again...
>
>Elektor-Electronics April-2004 "Pandora's Sound & Music Box"
>Uses a single microcontroller and controls a standard PC-style
>CD-ROM drive. I believe it supports the "play next" function with
>one of its buttons.

Aha - thanks for the 'lead'.
I've been to Elektor's site, but they don't have much online info on
this project - so I've emailed them to see if it#s possible to get a
reprint of the article.

From the fairly short parts list it doesn't look too daunting - but I
couldn't see any mention of any sort of display - maybe it doesn't
have one ?? I'd have thought a simple 'track number' display would be
helpful - at least you'd know that you're about to play the 'right'
track then...?

Thanks
Adrian
Suffolk UK

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:14:19 PM

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote ....
> Aha - thanks for the 'lead'.
> I've been to Elektor's site, but they don't have much online info on
> this project - so I've emailed them to see if it#s possible to get a
> reprint of the article.
>
> From the fairly short parts list it doesn't look too daunting - but I
> couldn't see any mention of any sort of display - maybe it doesn't
> have one ?? I'd have thought a simple 'track number' display would be
> helpful - at least you'd know that you're about to play the 'right'
> track then...?

No display in the original article. However you have the source
code and with the serial LCD displays, it would be pretty easy
to add a display. If you have a fixed application (like a liturgy)
you could even "firm-wire" the names of the tracks ("Introit",
"Prayer Response", "Offertory", etc.) Or of you were really
ambitious, you could investigate how optional text is encoded.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 3:54:41 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:20:13 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
<adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote:
>Taking this one step further - it'd be nice if the CD player could be
>set up to play tracks in a specific sequence, and would automagically
><g> play a track then stop, cued and ready to play the next track in
>the playlist......
>
>Does such a piece of kit exist ?

Some consumer CD players can do this, or close. My ancient dbx dx5 can
be programmed to play tracks in a specific order. It wouldn't stop
automatically at the end of the track, but hitting Stop on the remote
and the the >> button would start the next track in the sequence. Not
fullproof however - the progam cannot be saved and will be lost if
power is turned off, and it would be easy to press the wrong button on
the remote.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 7:23:25 PM

HI Paul

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:07:13 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
<pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

>"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> So - solution - make a CD - so that when she's not there, she can be
>> there (if you see what I mean). Plan to record the three of four hymns
>> & other bits of music as separate tracks - and whoever's chairing the
>> service can then stop / start the CD player at the right points.
>>
>> Taking this one step further - it'd be nice if the CD player could be
>> set up to play tracks in a specific sequence, and would automagically
>> <g> play a track then stop, cued and ready to play the next track in
>> the playlist......
>>
>> Does such a piece of kit exist ?
>
>Tascam pro units, designed primarily for radio station use, will do that. At
>least, they'll play one track and stop, if you enable the "Auto Ready"
>button. If your tracks on the CD are in the proper order, then you're home
>free. I gather the Tascams can have sequences programmed in to them as well,
>but I haven't needed to do that.
>
>Peace,
>Paul

Thanks for the reply.
I'm guessing that the 'Pro' bit comes with a suitably high price tag ?
As usual, we'd like to do this for as little cost as possible.

Also, operation needs to be as simple / foolproof as possible -
hence the ideal of a big red #next# button <g>

Regards
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 8:38:36 PM

> >Tascam pro units, designed primarily for radio station use, will do that.
At
> >least, they'll play one track and stop, if you enable the "Auto Ready"
> >button. If your tracks on the CD are in the proper order, then you're
home
> >free. I gather the Tascams can have sequences programmed in to them as
well,
> >but I haven't needed to do that.
> >
> >Peace,
> >Paul
> >

> Thanks for the reply.
> I'm guessing that the 'Pro' bit comes with a suitably high price tag ?
> As usual, we'd like to do this for as little cost as possible.

Medium, but they make up for it by being able to work, day in and day out,
for years on end, whereas a lot of consumer-type CD players keel over and
die after a year or two of serious button-pushing.

> Also, operation needs to be as simple / foolproof as possible -
> hence the ideal of a big red #next# button <g>

Well, if the tracks are burned onto the CD in the order in which they'll be
played, you just keep hitting Play.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 3:00:21 AM

How about a software solution: isn't it possible to program a pause at the
end of each track on a CD? I thought I saw this option in Samplitude.

Phil / Houston

"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All
> Hope this is the right newsgroup to ask - you were all very helpful
> earlier in the year when I was looking at ways of micing the rostrum
> in our church..... (ended up with 2 boundary mics - works well -
> thanks !)
>
> Next problem.
> We have 2 services (Sat & Sun) at the Church - up to now we've had 2
> organists - so they've shared the work out between them - no problem.
>
> One of our organists fell and broke her leg (badly) last week. This
> leaves just the one - who can't be expected to turn out 2 days a week
> - as well as the other work she does for the church.
>
> So - solution - make a CD - so that when she's not there, she can be
> there (if you see what I mean). Plan to record the three of four hymns
> & other bits of music as separate tracks - and whoever's chairing the
> service can then stop / start the CD player at the right points.
>
> Taking this one step further - it'd be nice if the CD player could be
> set up to play tracks in a specific sequence, and would automagically
> <g> play a track then stop, cued and ready to play the next track in
> the playlist......
>
> Does such a piece of kit exist ? Or would it be possible to implement
> this system by going fully 'solid-state' - maybe with an MP3
> player....
>
> Anybody been there & done that ??
>
> Operation of the system needs to be _very_ simple - ideal would be a
> single big red button labelled 'play next track' - but anything
> approaching this level of simplicity would be good.....
>
> I guess I could design / build something based around a PIC - talking
> to a computer cd-rom drive - but if this particular wheel has already
> been 'invented' then I'd rather not reinvent it again...
>
> Thanks in advance
> Adrian
> Suffolk UK
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 11:28:22 AM

Hi Richard

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 04:18:08 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"Adrian Brentnall" wrote ....
>> Aha - thanks for the 'lead'.
>> I've been to Elektor's site, but they don't have much online info on
>> this project - so I've emailed them to see if it#s possible to get a
>> reprint of the article.
>>
>> From the fairly short parts list it doesn't look too daunting - but I
>> couldn't see any mention of any sort of display - maybe it doesn't
>> have one ?? I'd have thought a simple 'track number' display would be
>> helpful - at least you'd know that you're about to play the 'right'
>> track then...?
>
>No display in the original article. However you have the source
>code and with the serial LCD displays, it would be pretty easy
>to add a display. If you have a fixed application (like a liturgy)
>you could even "firm-wire" the names of the tracks ("Introit",
>"Prayer Response", "Offertory", etc.) Or of you were really
>ambitious, you could investigate how optional text is encoded.

Thanks for the comments.
There are two formats - one for the Saturday Service (hymn1, hymn2,
hymn3, Vesper) and one for the Sunday Service (hymn1, hymn2, healing
hymn, hymn3, Hymn 4, Vesper) - so that's not too complicated.

I was imagining that showing some kind of display might offer some
comfidence that 'what was about to be played' was the right thing -
but it's probably over-complicating the thing. So long as there's the
'one-shot' action (pressing the big switch gets you one track, and
then the unit waits, cued up) then 'nothing can go wrong' <g>.

Only trouble is - no response from Elektor, at the moment - so I can't
see the detail of the project.... I've found a company that will
provide a PCB for 17 euros - so that's a start. Don't suppose you've
got access to a copier or a scanner and could do me a paper or digital
copy, could you ?? I'd be very grateful..... and cover any costs that
you might incur.

Thanks again for your assistance
Adrian
Suffolk UK.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 11:28:23 AM

"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote...
> I was imagining that showing some kind of display might offer some
> comfidence that 'what was about to be played' was the right thing -
> but it's probably over-complicating the thing. So long as there's the
> 'one-shot' action (pressing the big switch gets you one track, and
> then the unit waits, cued up) then 'nothing can go wrong' <g>.
>
> Only trouble is - no response from Elektor, at the moment - so I can't
> see the detail of the project.... I've found a company that will
> provide a PCB for 17 euros - so that's a start. Don't suppose you've
> got access to a copier or a scanner and could do me a paper or digital
> copy, could you ?? I'd be very grateful..... and cover any costs that
> you might incur.

They are right there in your own country. They claim to sell back-
issues for the cover price + postage. Give them a call (or "ring them"
as you say). I am 8 timezones away and it would be a violation of
international copyright for me to send you a copy as much as I would
like to. OTOH, if they cannot supply a copy of the issue, I can scan
it for you.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 12:13:54 PM

"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message

> So - solution - make a CD - so that when she's not there, she can be
> there (if you see what I mean). Plan to record the three of four hymns
> & other bits of music as separate tracks - and whoever's chairing the
> service can then stop / start the CD player at the right points.

> Taking this one step further - it'd be nice if the CD player could be
> set up to play tracks in a specific sequence, and would automagically
> <g> play a track then stop, cued and ready to play the next track in
> the playlist......

> Does such a piece of kit exist ? Or would it be possible to implement
> this system by going fully 'solid-state' - maybe with an MP3
> player....

> Anybody been there & done that ??

What I've done is use multiple CD players, and put CDs I obtained or burned
in each one, and cued them up and left them in pause before the service. I
put a stick-on post-it on each one, noting what is inside. I then press the
appropriate play button at the appropriate time.

CD players are dirt cheap. 2 get the job done for me.

If you run out of inputs on your console, a line mixer makes a nice extender
for the inputs on your console. Good examples of such devices include the
Rane SM 26 http://www.rane.com/sm26b.html or Behringer Ultralink
http://www.behringer.com/MX882/index.cfm?lang=ENG
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:29:00 PM

Hi Richard

>They are right there in your own country. They claim to sell back-
>issues for the cover price + postage. Give them a call (or "ring them"
>as you say). I am 8 timezones away and it would be a violation of
>international copyright for me to send you a copy as much as I would
>like to. OTOH, if they cannot supply a copy of the issue, I can scan
>it for you.

Many thanks.
I was being a bit too hasty - they actually emailed me back this
afternoon - and can supply me with a back copy of the mag - so I'll go
that route......

Thanks for pointing me the right way - I'd not have known that the
project existed otherwise....

I've got an incentive to get this working - as otherwise I expect I'll
be called upon to play the organ _every_ weekend... <g>

Take care
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:34:39 PM

HI Amy

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:13:54 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>> Anybody been there & done that ??
>
>What I've done is use multiple CD players, and put CDs I obtained or burned
>in each one, and cued them up and left them in pause before the service. I
>put a stick-on post-it on each one, noting what is inside. I then press the
>appropriate play button at the appropriate time.
>
>CD players are dirt cheap. 2 get the job done for me.
>
>If you run out of inputs on your console, a line mixer makes a nice extender
>for the inputs on your console. Good examples of such devices include the
>Rane SM 26 http://www.rane.com/sm26b.html or Behringer Ultralink
>http://www.behringer.com/MX882/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It'd all be a great deal simpler if there was always somebody there at
the Church who could act as 'sound engineer'.
Short of volunteering my services full-time <g> - there ain't no such
animal.

So - it needs a _simple_ system that can be operated by the person -
running the service - hence the idea of a 'service -on-a-CD', and a
big 'next' button that plays the next track & then stops......

We've been 'spoilt' over the last ten years or so by having 'live'
organists - but we're none of us getting any younger......

Thanks
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:34:40 PM

> HI Amy
>
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:13:54 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> Anybody been there & done that ??
>>
>> What I've done is use multiple CD players, and put CDs I obtained
>> or burned in each one, and cued them up and left them in pause
>> before the service. I put a stick-on post-it on each one, noting
>> what is inside. I then press the appropriate play button at the
>> appropriate time.
>>
>> CD players are dirt cheap. 2 get the job done for me.
>>
>> If you run out of inputs on your console, a line mixer makes a nice
>> extender for the inputs on your console. Good examples of such
>> devices include the Rane SM 26 http://www.rane.com/sm26b.html or
>> Behringer Ultralink http://www.behringer.com/MX882/index.cfm?lang=ENG

> It'd all be a great deal simpler if there was always somebody there at
> the Church who could act as 'sound engineer'.

Ah, the prerequisite dedicated volunteer.

> Short of volunteering my services full-time <g> - there ain't no such
> animal.

I'm trying to train a stable full of back-ups and replacements.

> So - it needs a _simple_ system that can be operated by the person -
> running the service - hence the idea of a 'service -on-a-CD', and a
> big 'next' button that plays the next track & then stops......

I suppose that a PC could be programmed with one of the jillion music
players that are downloadble...

> We've been 'spoilt' over the last ten years or so by having 'live'
> organists - but we're none of us getting any younger......

Indeed having a church service where all the music comes from traditional
sources tends to drive off the younger prospects.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 8:28:39 PM

HI Amy

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:57:22 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message
>> HI Amy

>>> What I've done is use multiple CD players, and put CDs I obtained
>>> or burned in each one, and cued them up and left them in pause
>>> before the service. I put a stick-on post-it on each one, noting
>>> what is inside. I then press the appropriate play button at the
>>> appropriate time.
>>>
>>> CD players are dirt cheap. 2 get the job done for me.
>>>
>>> If you run out of inputs on your console, a line mixer makes a nice
>>> extender for the inputs on your console. Good examples of such
>>> devices include the Rane SM 26 http://www.rane.com/sm26b.html or
>>> Behringer Ultralink http://www.behringer.com/MX882/index.cfm?lang=ENG
>
>> It'd all be a great deal simpler if there was always somebody there at
>> the Church who could act as 'sound engineer'.
>
>Ah, the prerequisite dedicated volunteer.

Yes - these things can take over your life if you let them - but I
guess you already know that ??

>> Short of volunteering my services full-time <g> - there ain't no such
>> animal.
>
>I'm trying to train a stable full of back-ups and replacements.

Mmmm - nice idea <g>

>> So - it needs a _simple_ system that can be operated by the person -
>> running the service - hence the idea of a 'service -on-a-CD', and a
>> big 'next' button that plays the next track & then stops......
>
>I suppose that a PC could be programmed with one of the jillion music
>players that are downloadble...

Yes - but that's going up the 'complication scale' rather than down it
- and there's no room on the rostrum for a pc (physically or maybe
ideologically....) - needs to be a really simple solution..... (do I
keep saying that ?)

>> We've been 'spoilt' over the last ten years or so by having 'live'
>> organists - but we're none of us getting any younger......
>
>Indeed having a church service where all the music comes from traditional
>sources tends to drive off the younger prospects.

Well, we're a bit different. It's a Spiritualist church, and we
actually do get a fairly wide spread of ages in the congregation -
and, somehow, the 'good old' hymns seem more appropriate....

Most people are there for the upliftment or in the hope of getting
communication from their love ones in spirit - so there's no really
need for 'jazzing up' the service with happy-clappy music......

Thanks again
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 5:29:02 PM

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

> >> So - it needs a _simple_ system that can be operated by the person -
> >> running the service - hence the idea of a 'service -on-a-CD', and a
> >> big 'next' button that plays the next track & then stops......
> >
> >I suppose that a PC could be programmed with one of the jillion music
> >players that are downloadble...
>
> Yes - but that's going up the 'complication scale' rather than down it
> - and there's no room on the rostrum for a pc (physically or maybe
> ideologically....) - needs to be a really simple solution..... (do I
> keep saying that ?)

One of the first projects I did when learning to use Visual C++ was to
write some software that did exactly that. You had to create a simple
text file containing the files to be played in the correct order and
then the software would play the next file on the list whenever the big
play button was clicked. It would work for any type of file that had a
compatible player so it could be extendeded to MIDI and video files as
well as audio.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:55:59 AM

Adrian Brentnall <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> scribbled:

> Hi All
>
> So - solution - make a CD - so that when she's not there, she can be
> there (if you see what I mean). Plan to record the three of four hymns
> & other bits of music as separate tracks - and whoever's chairing the
> service can then stop / start the CD player at the right points.
>
> Taking this one step further - it'd be nice if the CD player could be
> set up to play tracks in a specific sequence, and would automagically
> <g> play a track then stop, cued and ready to play the next track in
> the playlist......
>
> Does such a piece of kit exist ? Or would it be possible to implement
> this system by going fully 'solid-state' - maybe with an MP3
> player....

Denon DN-C615 will do just that. You can set it up so that when you turn
it on, it is already in the "play one track, then pause at the beginning
of the next track" mode.

That setting is stored in non-volatile memory, so it stays set that way
through power cycles.

And it can cue to the beginning of the audio, not to the beginning of the
track. If your track has 1 or 2 seconds of silence at the beginning,
it'll skip right over that, so the music starts the instant you hit the
play button.
!