internet access through BlueTooth

May 31, 2004 8:55:33 PM

Hello everyone,

With a BlueTooth enabled Palm (Zire 72, Tungsten T3, etc), can I access
Internet and e-mail through my desktop computer which got a USB/BlueTooth
adapter. My desktop is, of course, connected to my ISP through cable modem.

On Palm web site, they only "suggest" a phone with BlueTooth to access
Internet. So I wonder if it's really the only way...

Chester
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 3:12:36 AM

Chester wrote:
> With a BlueTooth enabled Palm (Zire 72, Tungsten T3, etc), can I access
> Internet and e-mail through my desktop computer which got a USB/BlueTooth
> adapter. My desktop is, of course, connected to my ISP through cable modem.

Yes, you can. Don't expect too much, though. The max. bandwidth over
Bluetooth is about 115000 bps.

Assuming you're using Windows, this can be done through Internet
Connection Sharing. In fact, Internet Connection Sharing is the *only*
way to achieve this. (You cannot add the Bluetooth virtual network
adapter to a network bridge.)

If you don't have a router between your network and your cable modem
then enabling ICS shouldn't give you any problems. (However, if you do
have a router then you need to move its address range to 192.168.1.x, as
ICS insists on using 192.168.0.x. This took me an entire evening to
figure out.)

More info here: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449

Regards
-Laurens
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 3:12:37 AM

Laurens wrote:

> If you don't have a router between your network and your cable modem
> then enabling ICS shouldn't give you any problems. (However, if you do
> have a router then you need to move its address range to 192.168.1.x, as
> ICS insists on using 192.168.0.x. This took me an entire evening to
> figure out.)

Your address range doesn't have to be 192.168.1.x.

These are the traditional NAT network numbers, that won't get routed:

10.*
172.16-31.*.*
192.168.*.*

In addition, there's the "test" network at 192.0.2.*, which is preferred for
new devices to default to, since it should never interfere with production
machines on the same network.

--
*Art
June 1, 2004 10:53:27 AM

"Laurens" <spam@block.com> wrote in message
> Chester wrote:
>
> Assuming you're using Windows, this can be done through Internet
> Connection Sharing. In fact, Internet Connection Sharing is the *only*
> way to achieve this. (You cannot add the Bluetooth virtual network
> adapter to a network bridge.)

That's not completely accurate. I dont have ICS enabled (assuming you mean
MICROSOFT ICS). I have successfully used a proxy server (squid and even the
cheap-o analogx proxy), sygate, and successfully routed through a NAT box.
All from an attached USB bluetooth gizmo on a windows machine AND without a
bluetooth access point. Some of the tricks took some mildly creative
routing, but nothing too scary.

I've successfully routed internet traffic to my z72 as well as just internal
LAN traffic. I can VNC any machine on my network (which includes 1 linux
box, 1 Mac (OSX) and 2 PCs across two network segments). I haven't looked
for an SSH client yet... but I know at least one exists (pssh). I expect
sourceforge would list them if they exist.

Eventually, I'll pick up a bluetooth access point and cut-out the need for a
winbox entirely...

-jhon
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 4:51:55 PM

"Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com> wrote in message
> Laurens wrote:
> >
> > If you don't have a router between your network and your cable modem
> > then enabling ICS shouldn't give you any problems. (However, if you do
> > have a router then you need to move its address range to 192.168.1.x, as
> > ICS insists on using 192.168.0.x. This took me an entire evening to
> > figure out.)
>
> Your address range doesn't have to be 192.168.1.x.
>
> These are the traditional NAT network numbers, that won't get routed:
>
> 10.*
> 172.16-31.*.*
> 192.168.*.*
>
> In addition, there's the "test" network at 192.0.2.*, which is preferred
for
> new devices to default to, since it should never interfere with production
> machines on the same network.

The requirement for 192.168.0.1 address is from Windows Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS). If you're using an alternative solution (like NAT32), then
any internal network address will do. For the time being, using the free ICS
will mandate this address to be used.

--
Mauricio Freitas
MS MVP Mobile Devices

"John Ryan" <jrusenet@removethis.greenquark.com.removethistoo> wrote in
message news:HJVuc.77040$nV.67128@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com...

> Eventually, I'll pick up a bluetooth access point and cut-out the need for
> winbox entirely...

When you do make sure the Bluetooth Access Point supports LAP (LAN Access
over PPP) and not PAN (Personal Area Network), because the Palm stack
supports only the first. Bluetake supports LAP, Belkin (with the latest
firmware) supports both LAP and PAN, but not at the same time. A couple of
other brands support only PAN.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):