Asus P3B-F -> How to install 256mb RAM?

RafaC

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
Well, guys, I´ve got a problem here and I wonder if you could help me to fix it. The problem is the following: I´m trying to increase the memory of my costumer´s pc, but it seems that it doesn´t recognize more than 128mb. I´ve alreaday downloaded the latest bios update, but nothing happens. Would you have any other solution?I´ll be vey grateful.. Thanks in advance

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
I think for 256MB you need to get 16 chips doble sided DIMM 'cause 440BX supports max 16MB/chip. Are you sure you have max 16MB/chip in your RAM stick?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
andlcs is right, you need 16-chip double sided 256MB modules. You can get them in PC133 Cas2 from Crucial for $30.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Let's hear a "Yay!" for low-density RAM on old PCs!

<font color=blue>Y</font color=blue><font color=purple>a</font color=purple><font color=red>y</font color=red>!

(Proud owner of a Celeron 500 with 256MB of low-density PC100 running at PC66.)

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a hard time justifying calling it low density, because it's:
8x as dense as the original SDRAM
4x as dense as the second generation
2x as dense as the third generation.

Now the only chipset I know of with the 2MB/chip limit was the Intel VX. I'd hate a guy to buy 16MB/chip modules for his VX board because I called it low density, then go out and get 8MB/chip because it's lower, then 4MB/chip because it's even lower, and have none of them work. What's worse is he might go to a shop and get some old EDO DIMMs (VX supported EDO or SDRAM in the same slot, but not mixed), have that work, and then tell 150 of my future customers how much of an idiot I am for recommending SDRAM.

Yes, things like this do happen.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
By the way, I'm very upset that single sided 256MB DIMMs even exist, because they don't support roughly 90% of the motherboards on the market. The reason memory manufacturers do it is to save money, they obviously don't care about compatability.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree. A lot manufacturer does not even mention their memory stick is high density one and I have to return it because it is not compatible with my BX based motherboard.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not just the BX, but the TX, LX, ZX, and EX chipsets. There's no GOOD excuse for ANY 256MB SDRAM module to be any other configuration than 16-chip double sided. I mean, we already know that 512MB modules don't work, so they should simply constrain themselves to using the high density chips on high capacity modules.