single drive-cd writer

LostProdigy

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
hello everyone

I am probably going to get one cd-rom for my next computer and i wanted it to be a cd writer

i was wondering what you all thought would be a good cd writer to get to be both used as my main cd-rom and as a burner

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I am using my LiteOn 40x/12x/48x CD-RW as both CD-ROM and CD-RW, no probelm so far.

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I used to go on this site everyday and all day long and talk on the community, but then that one day came when my dad said "GET The hell off that thing and go and get a job!" so i did and have been working full time @ a supermarket. So i don't get a chance to check out new products and what's the latest and greatest. I was also wondering what one of the top performering cd-rw drives is on the market today, from the last i was around, kt266a, 2100+ and a geforce 4 ti4600, and Pc2100 mb was like the ULTIMATE PC and stuff.. so bare with me until i catch up on the new Chipsets, cpu's and Gpu...

All i know is that i haven't bought my new machine yet, because i am still waiting for this dam Clawhammer to be released..

see ya

This Community is like a Second Family!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yep. Liteon seem to be the most popular drive around here.
Cheap, high performance, low noise, reliable. What more does one need.

Plus the liteon range of burners are overclockable with a firmware flash!

I have a 48x24x48x and it rocks. Ive updated it to the latest 52x24x52x... and with luck i should be able to go one step further... up to 52x32x52x.

<b>My Idea of a DOS attack is to stop posting helpful information at Toms Hardware.</b> :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
True. 48x burns are fast enough, i notice no difference when doing 52x ones... the actual difference is too small to notice.

The reason why i did the upgrade was mostly to see if it were possible, and how easy it was.
Additionally I am more interested in the next speed grade beyond 52x24x52x. From all reports my drive highly likely to be upgradable to 52x32x52x! :smile:
Thats what i want.
*Drools*

<b>My Idea of a DOS attack is to stop posting helpful information at Toms Hardware.</b> :smile:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LHGPooBaa on 12/11/02 08:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I've seen articles about CD disks that shattered in the drives. Do you think that maybe they're getting close to the threshold safety factor, of what these disks can actually take, if you get one thats out of balance or a little warped, they can make quite a lot of unusual drive noise? Are CD disks fast approaching the phase out stage, to be replaced by something else?

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yeppers. Most definately. My 48x liteon has quite good sound characteristics, especially at full spin.
While not quiet, its still pretty impressive considering the disks are going around at some 8 to 10k rpm! This says to me these drives have got some serious vibration dampers in them!

and the differences between a burn of 48x and 52x is really Negligible. probably 15 seconds or less on a 700Mb burn, assuming nero lets me use the CD-R at 52x.

So as you may have seen cd burn speeds have stopped at 52x, but rewrite speeds are going up bigtime, which is good. 12x rewrites when the write speed is at 40x is silly.

Eventually cd-rw's will be replaced by dvd-r... assuming of course that the RIAA and the movie industry lets us.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yo LHGPooBaa, your telling me if i get the 48x liteon, i can just download firmware to upgrade it to a 52X cd-rw ?

that's pretty sick

Oh and Before i buy this 48X liteon, just so i know, it can WRITE onto CD-RW discs? Erase them, and re-Write them?

i have a LG cd-RW(but it's really a CD-R) dam thing says Cd-RW tho

This Community is like a Second Family!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yep. its damn easy to do too, provided you can find the right files.

And YES it is a RW drive. fully capable of up to 24x RW, provided you can find 24x rw disks.

Ive only got 10x certified disks, but they erase and rewrite at 12x, so a little gain isnt too bad. Need to find some 24x cd-rw's though :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
allthough a 48x to a 52x flash really doesnt do much at all.
what im waiting for is to get the 52x32x52x upgrade for even faster RW burning.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Just make sure you get some decent cd-r or cd-rw media at the same time. 700mb packs of 50 are pretty cheap today.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
Where did you get the firmware update and how do you go about updating it? This is one of the main reasons I got the Lite-on 48x24x48, since I knew I could update it - especially to Mt. Rainer support.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
There is a huge long thread over at www.cdfreaks.com forums with all the info.
I would post the link but its at home, and im not.