Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hey Guys i need some help...

I only got local area connection ie my internet isn't working.

Whenever i try to diagnose the problem i'm just told to reset the router, but nothing works...

My Pc is wired up to my router that then is wired to the modem. I've tried swapping cables to see if it was a faulty one.

And i'm pretty sure it isn't a local problem in my desktop(W7), because my laptops(W8) network ain't working either.

IPconfig on Laptop:

C:\Windows\System32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::743f:64d9:3f97:43d6%12
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A22A56D3-027F-4AFF-8D19-788057B474E3}:

Ipconfig on Desktop:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter local area connection:

Link-local IPv6 address . . . . . : fe80::74f5:ebb7:f08e:9cdd%22
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.156.221
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . .:

Tunnel adapter isatap.<4CADA841-B7E5-455E-90AF-AD41835F075D>:

I have access to my router on my laptop but not my desktop.

And yes I've tried searching for an answer but haven't found a solution to my exact problem. Everything was working fine this morning.

Please feel free to ask if you need more information!

Sincerely Lazdaa

RealBeast

Titan
I see that your wireless is working, but did you have an Ethernet cable plugged in also when you ran that on the laptop? If so, you should look into the device manager under the network Ethernet adapter to see if you have drivers that are working properly.

Have you changed anything since last using that router successfully for a wired connection?

Attach your desktop to the router, open the desktop network control panel, then select change adapter settings, do you see your Ethernet adapter there? If so, right click and select properties, highlight the line in the boxed area that says Internet Protocol Version 4 and click the properties button, the general tab should have the top button selected -- Obtain IP address automatically. Click OK and close the control panel.

Now open the command prompt box and type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew. What information do you get upon the renew command?

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
My desktop is already assigned to automatically get IP addresses

I tried the /release /renew thing, but upon renewing, it said: An error occourred while renewing interface local area connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has times out.

RealBeast

Titan
What model is the router? And did you change anything since this morning when everything was working?

If you look in the desktop device manager, does it appear that the driver is working? I would expect so, as it sounds like a router issue.

Can you open the router configuration page with the wireless connection?

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
It's a linksys DD-wrt v24-sp2 and i have not changed any settings what so ever

I'm pretty sure the drivers are updated, and as no one can use the Internet I assume it's a router issue.

I can open the router page on my laptop yes.

RealBeast

Titan
Odd, how long ago did you load dd-wrt firmware, I thought SP1 was the latest stable build and a beta of pre SP2, maybe the beta shows as sp2?

Take a look through the router pages, particularly those for the LAN (since the wireless works) and see what settings you have. Does the router connection table show any devices other than the wireless laptop?

You might try with one machine -- you desktop to make it a reserved dynamic (what dd-wrt calls static DHCP) address: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_DHCP You only need to make the change in the router, nothing in the desktop.

If it is an old Linksys it could be a hardware failure, but this would be fairly unusual as either the wireless or whole router usually goes.

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Okay so i messed around in the control panel for the router after i did a reset on it, and it seems to have worked. Not quite sure what the whole problem was, but the reset thing worked.

Thanks for the help everyone!

uthedude

Honorable
May 19, 2013

jpmrespicio27

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

TRENDING THREADS