Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Wifi Issues

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 14, 2012 2:24:36 PM

Hello,
I have a home wifi and it sems to be working fine for all my devices. EXCEPT. I have an ASUS SL101 Tablet running ICS 4.2.1. The table will connect to my hotspot phone fine. It will connect to my WiFi with out a problem and ask for the security codes the same as the phone. My problem is that it won't send or receive anything on the home WiFi. It appears connected to the router but no data either way. Anyone have any ideas?

If I connect to my phone hotspot it works fine. All the other WiFi devices in the house connect and work fine (TV, Notebooks, printers, etc.)

HELP!!!

More about : wifi issues

November 14, 2012 3:10:40 PM

Have you tried to contact the tech support of the tablet to find out why it won't interact with your home Wifi?
If you put the wireless pasword into the tablet and the router recognizes that the device is there , then it should work. The router has a guest password and will allow a certain number of guests , have you tried the guest password ?
Score
0
November 14, 2012 4:27:34 PM

inzone said:
Have you tried to contact the tech support of the tablet to find out why it won't interact with your home Wifi?
If you put the wireless pasword into the tablet and the router recognizes that the device is there , then it should work. The router has a guest password and will allow a certain number of guests , have you tried the guest password ?


I have not contacted the tech support of Asus. I have heard that they are discontinuing the eeePad SL101 which is what I have. I love the tablet and it has worked fine with this one exception. I normally use the hotspot on my phone when I'm in work to avoid needing to go through their network. When I come home I want to go through my home wifi for more speed.

Both networks are configured the same with the security being the same. They both use a password and both seem to work fine with my notebook. When I go on the home network with my tablet it asks for the password and seems to get an IP address. When I scan the IP addresses in my ranges (10.0.0.2-10.0.0.20) it shows up as Asus at 10.0.0.6 but when I tried to access something on the web it times out.

If I connect through my phone everything works the same except I do get access to the internet.

Oh and there is a little icon that shows the wifi strength, when it connects. That is the same (Excellent) strength with both methods. The only difference is that when I connect to my phone the icon turns blue and when I connect to my wifi router it doesn't.

I'm not sure because I can't find anything on the icons in the documentation but it appears the strenth icon is accurate and it turns blue when it start communicating beyond the router. I can even log in to the configuration of the router at 10.0.0.1 the same as on my notebook. It appears that it is holding it back from going beyond almost like I had a MAC address filter turned on or something like that. They is typical xfinity. Maybe they block androids? That might be my next step to call them.

Thanks and any other ideas are always welcome.

Jim
Score
0
Related resources
November 14, 2012 4:50:43 PM

I have not heard of Comcast blocking Android but I have heard of some bandwith limitations but that wouldn't affect you and with just trying to connect.
I will say that the tech support for Comcast is pretty good for the couple of times that I spoke with them , I don't have thier service but my mother-in-law does and while at her house I had to call for her on an issue she was having.
You mentioned that you don't use the network at work and you use your mobile hot spot, have you tried to connect through the work network just to see if you can connect or have you connected to another network with the tablet to see if it will access the internet.
One last thing is do you know or can you get the mac address of the tablet and make sure that it's in the router as an acepted device ?
Does the tablet have blue tooth ? I have found that with my Android phone if I have blue tooth and wifi turned on at the same time one won't work and I have to turn one of them off. For example my car has blue tooh and I have my phone paired with it for Pandora and other things and when I get into the car and both are turned on the blue tooth won't connect. When I'm in the house and I want to use the wifi to listen to Pandora it won't work because I have the blue tooth on also so I have to turn one off.
Score
0
November 14, 2012 5:36:55 PM

inzone said:
I have not heard of Comcast blocking Android but I have heard of some bandwith limitations but that wouldn't affect you and with just trying to connect.
I will say that the tech support for Comcast is pretty good for the couple of times that I spoke with them , I don't have thier service but my mother-in-law does and while at her house I had to call for her on an issue she was having.
You mentioned that you don't use the network at work and you use your mobile hot spot, have you tried to connect through the work network just to see if you can connect or have you connected to another network with the tablet to see if it will access the internet.
One last thing is do you know or can you get the mac address of the tablet and make sure that it's in the router as an acepted device ?
Does the tablet have blue tooth ? I have found that with my Android phone if I have blue tooth and wifi turned on at the same time one won't work and I have to turn one of them off. For example my car has blue tooh and I have my phone paired with it for Pandora and other things and when I get into the car and both are turned on the blue tooth won't connect. When I'm in the house and I want to use the wifi to listen to Pandora it won't work because I have the blue tooth on also so I have to turn one off.


Inzone:

I don't use the network at work because I'm a contractor and they don't want me connected with my personal equipment but my hotspot on my phone gives me access without using their network. I will check the MAC address on the router and make sure it is an accepted device but I don't think I have any MAC addresses in the router. The router is accepting the device because it assigns via DHCP an IP address of 10.0.0.6 to my tablet. Shows on the router configuration that it is connected.

The tablet does have bluetooth but it was shut off through out the process. Very seldom use the bluetooth feature. So other than something in the router that is stopping it from communicating to the internet, I have no idea what would be stopping it.

Thanks again for the ideas. Keep them coming.

Jim
Score
0
November 14, 2012 6:41:20 PM

The router should have a page where it stores the Mac addresses of the devices that are connected to the network. I have had occasion where I have had to add the Mac address of a device manualy to a router. Granted all routers are different with so many different brands out there but sometimes you have to do things differently with certian routers. You may even end up having to open a port for the tablet to use.
I can understand your work situation and had only suggested it as a trial to see about connectivity with another network.
Score
0
November 14, 2012 7:35:33 PM

inzone said:
The router should have a page where it stores the Mac addresses of the devices that are connected to the network. I have had occasion where I have had to add the Mac address of a device manualy to a router. Granted all routers are different with so many different brands out there but sometimes you have to do things differently with certian routers. You may even end up having to open a port for the tablet to use.
I can understand your work situation and had only suggested it as a trial to see about connectivity with another network.


Inzone:

I appreciate all the ideas but the MAC addresses are only in the router when the devices are connected. I was using DHCP to give out the IP addresses so I tried with a static IP and then entered the MAC address and it wouldn't take it (and it wouldn't work). With the static IP it connected but again would not send or receive to the internet (grey icon). Went back to phone hotspot and connected right away and got to the internet (blue icon). At the same time I have continually been connected with my notebook with DHCP to the in house Wifi.

What really confuses me is that it connects to the router! Seems to connect and shows up with a DHCP IP address and the MAC address is shown on my IP Scanner but it doesn't seem to go past the router to the internet. Never had that happen before. Usually when it doesn't work it doesn't connect to the router or the whole network doesn't connect to the internet but not in this case. Really weird.

Jim
Score
0
November 14, 2012 8:36:19 PM

I know you said that the tablet connects to the phones hot spot and then you can access the internet and that the other devices you have can connect to the router and surf the internet. Does your phone also connect to the router and access the internet ? Does the phone also have the same OS as the tablet ICS 4.2.1 ? Is the tablet able to disconnect from the phone ? I'm trying to think if the tablet is staying with the phone and that's whty it won't access the internet through the router even though it says it's connected to the router.
Score
0
November 14, 2012 9:29:07 PM

inzone said:
I know you said that the tablet connects to the phones hot spot and then you can access the internet and that the other devices you have can connect to the router and surf the internet. Does your phone also connect to the router and access the internet ? Does the phone also have the same OS as the tablet ICS 4.2.1 ? Is the tablet able to disconnect from the phone ? I'm trying to think if the tablet is staying with the phone and that's whty it won't access the internet through the router even though it says it's connected to the router.


Good idea but no. The table lets me select which network I want to connect to. It either "Home" or "Mobile" relating to home wife or phone for mobile. Which ever one I select it will disconnect from the other before connecting. So the tablet isn't staying with the phone and trying to connect to the wifi. The phone isn't connected to the wifi because I have the wifi shut off on the phone (uses the battery too fast). So as best as I can see there isn't any cross polination between the two access points.

They are NOT the same android operating system. My tablet is Revolver 4.2.1 (which is ICS) and my phone Android version 2.2.1. Both machines have been rooted and I have superuser access to both. That was the only way I could get the hotspot to work on the phone. The phone is a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V where I get 300 minutes and unlimited data and text for $25 a month. My tablet doesn't have cellular abilities which is why I have to go through the phone. All in all it is a good setup because it only cost me the $25 a month and unlimited data to my tablet.

The only reason I wanted my tablet to connect to my wifi is for speed when I'm home.

Thanks again for the ideas. I'm going to get it fixed just don't know which idea will kick it off.

Jim
Score
0

Best solution

November 15, 2012 6:33:22 PM

I agree and it can be frustrating when you know it's supposed to work and it doesn't and your thinking it's bound to be something simple.
Share
November 15, 2012 7:05:33 PM

inzone said:
I agree and it can be frustrating when you know it's supposed to work and it doesn't and your thinking it's bound to be something simple.


Inzone:

It was simple. I got it!!! There is an area in the configuation of the router for Parental Control. When I initially set it up it evidently took all the devices and put them in this area and said they had access and all others didn't. So when I tried to connect with my tablet later it wouldn't let it through. I disabled the Parental Control and took all the devices out of the list and it started working for the tablet.

Thanks a ton for your help and ideas. They all got me thinking along the right lines. I thought it had to be the router just didn't know where to look. My ISP (Comcast) gave me a new router because it has VOIP and the configuration is different from what I was used to and had different screens and options. Took a while to get through. In fact I ended up downloading their user manual and reading that before I even found the Parental Control section.

Again, Thanks a bunch.

Jim

:lol:  :lol:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
Score
0
November 21, 2012 11:12:33 PM

Best answer selected by JimReid45.
Score
0
November 21, 2012 11:31:47 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
0
!