Wi Fi connection is good, but internet works sporadically

moesyk4

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Hello,
We have a Motorola router and an HP laptop running Windows 7. We have full bars on my laptop for connectivity to the network, but the internet runs terribly. When the computer reboots or logs in, it takes a good 30 minutes for the internet to begin running well. It will keep saying "send request" and then say the page couldn't load because the DNS look up failed. It will do that about 75% of the time until it begins running smoothly. It will also randomly start doing it when we've been on the computer awhile as well.
Both the computer and the modem are less than a year old, I've tried to call Comcast but they just tried to sell me some check up program that was $40/month. It's done this the whole time we had this router, we did have AT&T previously and we also had issues with the internet and connection, although not this bad.

By having two different services and a similar problem you may have a wireing issue and what I mean by that is the wire that comes from the pols or underground service whish ever you have and goes into the house or apartment.
A gfood test to do would be to take your laptop to a nearby coffe shop or library where you can connect to another wireless network and see what the laptop does . This would then possible eliminate the laptop as the cause and you can focus on the router or modem or wireing.

moesyk4

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Thank you for your reply, our laptop does work well at any other wifi place such as my parent's house or a coffee shop. Also, we have an old desktop in the room where our router is at and when it is plugged in, it seems to work fine. My only doubt as far as it being wiring is they were two different types of services, with AT&T being a DSL through the phone lines and Comcast being through the cable lines.

annoyComcastRun

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Don't waste too much time trying to fix it. You and a lot of people are having the same problem. Comcast apparently doesn't want to fix the problem, or they are dropping packets and connections randomly to manage the network. Much like how a power company would shut down part of a grid to keep the power system working. If you try to contact the technical assistance and report that the network needs fixed they will just tell you they need to send a technician out which they will charge you for. Thus the only option is to find another provider since there really isn't much you can do. If you try to ask why the network was having known issues in the first place you won't get an answer, so it would be my guess that they are doing just as I mentioned.