W7x64 Bluetooth Won't Pair with Headset BUT Wiimote Works!

takk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I can't get my Nokia Bh-905i headset to pair up with my computer's usb bluetooth dongle, but it will pair up with my wiimote in a second. When trying to connect the 905i headset, it's stuck on "connecting to device" screen, which I am never presented with a pairing screen. Then it reports an error 0x80004005. I have tried installing broadcom's drivers, removing registry keys, new bluetooth profile name [Device Manager > Bluetooth > Advanced Name], and pairing multiple times and rebooting.

I don't understand what is going wrong, the bluetooth adapter works with wiimote, a lot of people have no problem at all pairing up with their 905i headset, broadcom's drivers is suppose to be the end-all fix for bluetooth issues, but yet nothing has fixed it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BH-905i
http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories/headsets/bluetooth-stereo-headsets/nokia-bluetooth-stereo-headset-bh-905i

Broadcom
http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

Win7 64x [desktop]
Bluetooth Dongle 2.1 [will get model later]
Wiimote works out of the box
905i pairs up to my phone no problem
asrock extreme4 gen3

Hello,

Not sure if this will help but found this with the following link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/error-adding-the-device-failed-resulting-in-an/8ffb801a-76fa-420a-ad79-6536f2d06606

Hi guys,

I couldn't pair either of my two headsets to my Windows 7 machine. Here's what fixed it for me. In Device Manager, under Bluetooth Radios, I opened the properties for my radio (Broadcom 2046 Bluetooth 2.1+EDR USB Device with First Connect). Under the Advanced tab, I took the hyphen out of my radio's name. The headsets paired immediately after that.

This is a pretty serious bug considering the radio takes its name from the computer name, which is username-PC by default when you install Windows 7.

I hope this solves your problems.

Note that in order to actually use the headset, you will probably have to update your Bluetooth drivers if you haven't done so already. Go to http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

takk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Already tried that, that's what I meant by "new bluetooth profile name [Device Manager > Bluetooth > Advanced Name]". It wasn't too clear on my end though. I am thinking of just buy another adapter... This is driving me insane.

Well that sucks for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?l=en-us&type=Hardware&s=Nokia%20905i%20

According to this it doesn't even list that specific HS.

I also looked at the product description for that HS - and it appears to only work with phones.

IMO - if anything else connects to your BT adapter - but not that HS - it might be a problem with that HS.

Have you tried emailing Nokia and asking them if it is compatible? As well as mentioning the error you receive? IMO that would be your best bet - get an answer straight from the horses mouth!

takk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I have read about their generic customer service, "we only support nokia products, blah blah blah. So we can't help you". I'll try that though. Who knows right?

Well it wouldn't hurt to try emailing them. What's there to lose (besides your mind)?

Is that HS brand new? If so I would suggest returning it and getting something else you know for sure works.

I used to use a BT headset with W7 X64 - but the battery doesn't last long enough (for me it lasted about 2-3 hours max).

Forgot which one it is though.

takk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
It's brand new, I might return. It has to go to China though. ;_; I actually bought the BH-905i because of it's long battery life, 23 hours of talk, and 24 hours of listening. I can't see it being the headset though, once it's paired with my phone I am good to good. I haven't tested the mic yet as I was going to do that on my computer, hahaha. sigh

takk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Jason from Nokia wasn't too helpful. He went on to say, that many people have many different outcomes when trying to pair their headset to their computer.

Jason
Regarding your concern, I would like to inform you that the Bluetooth Headset BH-905i is not compatible to a Bluetooth dongle, even if it have a bluetooth profile of 2.1.

How are some people are able to pair up with their computers.
Jason
Yes. But there are times that even having the same bluetooth version, still there will be compatibility or manufacturer hardware issue.

Also, I would like to inform you that Bluetooth dongle are only being used for transferring files and not for connecting to any Bluetooth headset.

Jason
I do apologize for the inconvenience, but there is no way that you can connect your BH-905i by using the bluetooth dongle or adapter.

Hmm. Jason sounds like he knows nothing.

Also, I would like to inform you that Bluetooth dongle are only being used for transferring files and not for connecting to any Bluetooth headset.

Incorrect JASON! Bluetooth is wireless connection that allows the transfer of DATA. WHICH INCLUDES VOICE as well as "transferring files".

- I would seriously ditch that Nokia headset for Jason being so inept. -

Nokie support 0/10 rating.