Sign in with
Your question

Router works at other places but not at my home

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 15, 2012 12:19:57 AM

my router works at the store I took it to see if anything was wrong. Was able to connect to the internet then with my laptop. When the router is at my home, cannot connect. It is connected to my modem for the desktop computer. I have internet service on my desktop but not my laptop.
When Windows tries to solve the problem, it always says, Problem with wireless adapter or access point.
I don't know what to do. Can you tell me what is wrong and what I need to do?
November 15, 2012 6:11:13 AM

what kind of modem?

how does you desktop connect to the modem? directly or via router?
m
l
November 15, 2012 8:48:24 AM

Just so you know, I don't know much how computers work. My best answer is the desktop connected to the modem by itself before we had the router. Now if the router is turned off, the desktop can't connect to the internet.
I also forgot to say in my question is the laptop was able to connect for almost a year then suddenly was not able to connect.
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 1:15:12 PM

if you computer connects to the modem directly via USB cable, then that is you problem.

for more then one computer to access the internet you need to connect the router to the modem and the connect the computers to the router either wired via network cable or wireless.
m
l
November 15, 2012 6:57:58 PM

I would like to add.... before you install the router, be sure to unplug the modem from both the power cord and the coaxial cable (the cable that screws on the back and also to the wall), wait a minute, then plug those back in and let the modem power up. Then power up the router and plug the LAN cable from the router to the modem. After that you should be able to connect other computers to the router via LAN cable or wirelessly.
m
l
November 16, 2012 7:59:33 PM

The store we bought the laptop from installed the router, connecting it to the modem for our desktop. It worked fine for almost a year then we couldn't connect to the wifi. Took the computer back and they said the wifi card was bad and installed another one. Still couldn't connect so when we brought the laptop back, they installed a new hard drive and motherboard and another wifi card. Still couldn't connect so when I called again, they said to reset the router along with the modem. Had been doing only the router. This time we could connect but everytime we go on the laptop again, I have to reset the router twice before connecting. Was wondering if I should call the cable company from which I have my internet service or does someone have a better idea. Like I said, I really don't know anything about this.
And thanks for all your help
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:03:02 PM

I forgot to say the computer by itself needed a new hard drive and motherboard.
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:52:15 PM

When I first got cable internet, I had my laptop hard wired into the modem and was able to get online with no issues. I then purchased a wireless router, hooked it into the modem and was able to connect to the wireless network but I had no internet. I finally found a post on a forum where someone had this issue, and he only resolved it when he moved everything to another room. The key was, he completely unplugged everything. I have a feeling that the modem learns the first device it is attached to, and if that is a computer, it will then not allow you to attach anything else, like a router. I may be nuts, but I swear, once I ran through the procedure in my earlier post everything worked flawlessly.

Did your modem reset include unplugging it completely? If not, please run through the procedure I posted earlier and see if that makes any difference.

If you did do that, then what do you do to reset the router? Are you unplugging or are you holding the factory reset button?

m
l
November 18, 2012 11:49:16 AM

Thanks for the info about what I should try.
When I reset the router, I unplug the power cord. I also unplug the power cord from the modem at the same time. I sometimes only have to reset the router to get connected, sometimes both.
Now, after the router was connected for the first time, we didn't have a problem getting a connection. Worked for almost a year then all of a sudden, couldn't get connected.
I have another question since I don't know these things. Which one is the LAN cable so I know which one it is?
m
l
November 18, 2012 12:54:52 PM

The LAN cable is the one that looks like a phone cord, but with slightly larger connections. You should have one of these cables connecting your desktop to the router.

You said the desktop maintains internet and this is only an issue with the wireless laptop connection? If that is the case, it is not your modem or the cable company. If you have any issues with the desktop connection, I would call the cable company and have them reset and test your modem and connection.

If it is your router that is causing your issues, the easiest thing to do is buy a new one and see if it solves your problem. If it does not, you can always return it (check the stores return policy first, just to make sure).

Since your laptop has all new parts, I doubt it is that... however, you can always take it to the local coffee shop that has wifi and see if you can get online there. If you can, then you know it is a problem at home.
m
l
November 18, 2012 7:48:32 PM

Ok, thanks for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
m
l
!