Looking for a 17” LCD but at a loss here…

onesaint

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2004
Ok I’ve got a 15” Envision LCD which just aint cutting it any more. So i'm looking to move up to a 17” LCD. But i’m at a loss as to what to buy. I do a lot of fps gaming like BF 1942, call of duty, max Payne 2, etc., some Photoshop work and a lot of net browsing. Any recommendations? The Samsung 172X looks interesting but can it compete with the hydis? And is there anything out there that’s worth looking into?

Also, Toms doesn’t seem to be putting out alot of LCD reviews and the technology is moving fast. Does anyone have any other trusted review sites I can use as a second reference? Or for a good review?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
The 172x is currently the best 17 inch LCD monitor out there. There has been a lot of confusion about it because the retards at Samsung sent 25 ms engineering samples to reviewers.

http://www.explosivelabs.com/reviews/samsung_172x&173p/index.shtml

This appears to be an accurate review of the 172x.

Altho it is a 6 bit monitor unlike the hydis panel (a true 8 bit tft) it uses new very effective dithering algorithms to make up for it. Performance seems on par or better then the hydis panels.

onesaint

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks for the reply Guy. That review really makes the 172x appealing for gaming and 2d apps. Where did you learn about the algorithms making up for it being only a 6bit monitor?

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
I have been looking closely at LCD reviews for a few months now as I need a new monitor my self. I learned about it from various reviews including many of Tom's LCD reviews in the Displays section.