How do I uninstal and reinstall Windows 7?

mistermittens

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
I want to reinstall windows 7 in order to get some drivers to work, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. If already have windows 7 so does that mean I would lose all my files and have to back them up? Would I have to do special things in the BIOS? If anybody can help me that would be great

Solution
Well, if you see that kind of thing happened then it is suggested that you get a higher watt Power Supply Unit. Heat is also another factor if you overwork your card.

you dont have to format windows unless it damaged. if it a dell or pre made system you have to use the drivers from there web page. if it a home built system there should be a driver disk for the mb. most time you have to load the mb chipset drivers first before things like video card..sound..network cards will work.
if you do what called a nuke and pave..formatting your hard drive and reinstalling windows you have to reload all your files and programs. if your pc a pre made there should be a restore cd. if not you have to boot from windows cd then click format under advace tools then let windows reload itself.

mistermittens

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Well, my graphics card drivers sometimes stop responding and i get red dot flashes and a black screen, then i got a message saying amd drivers have stopped responding. I checked the site and people said that they reinstalled windows 7 and it worked fine after that, do you think if i do this it will work?

graphics drivers should have nothing to do with the OS. ZI'm questioning what source you got this information from. at the most, the OS would have DirectX problems if it was related to games, but that has nothing to do with AMD's drivers at all.

fantastik250

Distinguished
If you have your windows 7 disk, you can do a clean re-install, and just back up the important files. You do not have to do anything special unless you have an SSD. Also, it would be good if you listed your specifications of your computer.

muz_j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
In simple terms and being very blunt:

1) If you have a graphics driver issue - then attempt to fix it. eg: get the latest AMD graphics drivers, uninstall your existing driver, reboot the PC to flush its memory, install the latest supported AMD driver for your system and hardware, then my advice would be to reinstall DirectX with the latest version from MS and see how you go.

2) If you think this is an operating system problem, but not an issue with your video card, then I would suggest you consider performing a REPAIR/Upgrade of your operating system, following the normal microsoft process - which will retain all of your data and settings.

here's an easy article:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7#section_7

Attempt step 1 above. Test and see what happens, if that fails and you suspect it's an OS issue, then consider the OS repair.

Before you consider either option though, I would have a think about if your hardware could be having a fault too.

There is no requirement to format windows or anything even remotely close. ....that's a road to a whole lot of data loss or a whole lot of work restoring your system to the point it's currently at (eg: reinstalling all your software).

So before you get started, have a think about your video card and computer.
i.e. could this issue be a hardware fault?
If so, then you might need to ask a friend or computer store to test that video card first, before assuming it's okay.

eg: the symptoms you are describing could quite possibly be caused by the video card overheating or if the video card has one or more faulty components on it. I've had very similar behaviour with a decent NVidia card, when overclocking it to its limits - which results in high amounts of heat.

mistermittens

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Do you think it could be my power supply, because it only happens usually during high graphics required moments, and im wondering if it might need more power because mine is only 300w when the requirements is 400w