New ~200-dollar condenser microphone

We need to buy a pair of LDC's soon--In the 200 dollar range. The
application is voice-over work.

I was thinking of AT-3035s since I have one at home and love it. Can any
one give me something else to research?

Thanks,
Paul
10 answers Last reply
More about dollar condenser microphone

    ElectroVoice Re-20

    Dynamics... Senn 421 - Shure SM7 will work really well depending on the
    voice.

    I do LOVE the RE20 on anything. Never tried it on OH but it would probably
    work there too.

    ~200 condenser for VO, I would obviously suggest our own Hamburg model
    www.adkmic.com
    They work extremely well for clean, quiet, good voice recording.
    I know a commrcial rec. studio where they're used everyday for VO.
    They're not bright and aggressive - but they take EQ relatively well.

    JP

    > > We need to buy a pair of LDC's soon--In the 200 dollar range. The
    > > application is voice-over work.
    > >
    > > I was thinking of AT-3035s since I have one at home and love it. Can
    any
    > > one give me something else to research?
    > >

    > From what I hear th Electro-Voice RE20 is the way to go for
    > voiceovers. It isn't a condernser though.
    >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paul
    >
    > MAtt

    "blacktick" <pk505505@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<coi1rq$dob$1@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>...
    > We need to buy a pair of LDC's soon--In the 200 dollar range. The
    > application is voice-over work.
    >
    > I was thinking of AT-3035s since I have one at home and love it. Can any
    > one give me something else to research?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    MCA SP-1. About 50 bucks.

    http://www.mcamics.com

    Jim Williams
    Audio Upgrades

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:59:06 -0500, blacktick wrote
    (in article <coi1rq$dob$1@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>):

    > We need to buy a pair of LDC's soon--In the 200 dollar range. The
    > application is voice-over work.
    >
    > I was thinking of AT-3035s since I have one at home and love it. Can any
    > one give me something else to research?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    Take a walk in my mic review archives. They are on my website.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    stuff are at www.tyford.com

    "Jim Williams" <jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com> wrote in message
    > "blacktick" <pk505505@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> We need to buy a pair of LDC's soon--In the 200 dollar range. The
    >> application is voice-over work.
    >>
    >> I was thinking of AT-3035s since I have one at home and love it. Can any
    >> one give me something else to research?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Paul
    >
    > MCA SP-1. About 50 bucks.
    >
    > http://www.mcamics.com

    I bought an SP-1 last time you mentioned it. $39 bucks, I think. I needed
    a fourth VO mike for a production I was working on... an announcer and
    several character voices. I used it on both female and male actor voices.
    The SP-1 sounded good. Way better than $39. And, if it is $50 now, it's
    still a good deal.

    Steve King

    thanks for the replies.

    We already have an RE-20, but wanted condensers. Thanks for all the
    suggestions. Seems that MCA is worth a $50 gamble.

    Blackjack <pkotheimer@gmail.com> wrote:
    >thanks for the replies.
    >
    >We already have an RE-20, but wanted condensers. Thanks for all the
    >suggestions. Seems that MCA is worth a $50 gamble.

    The MCA is one of the Shanghai mikes. The Shanghai products come in two
    basic sorts: the kind with transformers and the kind without. The
    transformerless ones tend to sell for less and tend to sound better, on
    the whole.
    --scott

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:03:32 -0500, Blackjack wrote
    (in article <1102086212.741916.256880@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>):

    > thanks for the replies.
    >
    > We already have an RE-20, but wanted condensers. Thanks for all the
    > suggestions. Seems that MCA is worth a $50 gamble.

    Why gamble? Buy a good mic. Life's too short.

    Ty Ford

    stuff are at www.tyford.com

    Ohooo but there's more to it than tranfo/no transfo.

    I can't really praise the qualities of the aforementionned tranformers
    though...

    I replace them with OEP transfos and yeah, the sound improves, the S/N ratio
    improves, headroom improves, etc etc.

    There's a whole variety of capsules available too... some of them I find
    acceptable for spot mic'ing, but even the medium size ones are weird
    off-axis. The LD ones are VERY weird off-axis. Come to think of it, even the
    SD ones aren't that good, acoustically speaking.

    But then a K87 is weird off-axis too, innit...

    JP

    "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > Blackjack <pkotheimer@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >thanks for the replies.
    > >
    > >We already have an RE-20, but wanted condensers. Thanks for all the
    > >suggestions. Seems that MCA is worth a $50 gamble.
    >
    > The MCA is one of the Shanghai mikes. The Shanghai products come in two
    > basic sorts: the kind with transformers and the kind without. The
    > transformerless ones tend to sell for less and tend to sound better, on
    > the whole.
    > --scott

    You buy 50$ mics and you end up with 10 of those thinking "I could have
    bought a 500$ mic instead!".

    JP

    "Ty Ford" <tyreeford@comcast.net> a écrit dans le message de
    > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:03:32 -0500, Blackjack wrote
    > (in article <1102086212.741916.256880@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>):
    >
    > > thanks for the replies.
    > >
    > > We already have an RE-20, but wanted condensers. Thanks for all the
    > > suggestions. Seems that MCA is worth a $50 gamble.
    > >

    > Why gamble? Buy a good mic. Life's too short.
    >
    > Ty Ford
    >

    > -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other
    audiocentric
    > stuff are at www.tyford.com

Pro Audio Microphone Audio