Notepad/c++ modifying issue

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm trying to edit a rather large file in notepad (tried in other programs and it worked just as poorly). The file is something like 49mb so its rather large to be handled as a document. Every couple changes I make the program freezes up for about a minute and goes into not responding then it comes back to life and I can make a few more changes. I went to systems resources to see what was bottle necking it. The hard disk spikes on maximum capacity. Is there a reason that the file isn't sourced to ram for editing so the i/o bottleneck doesn't make this impossible? Is there a way to do this? (or a significantly better program I should be using to edit this?) I don't understand why it would be operating as an image off the hard drive. It should only involve that for saves and backup.

Btw I only have moderate, enthusiast use background in programming so go easy on me for whatever stupid analysis I made up above ;)

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Notepad is a piece of junk and isn't suitable at all for you're doing. If you're trying to edit code files, try Visual Studio Express Edition. It's free and has a lot more than just a text editor for you to use. Visual Studio really is an excellent piece of software, and it totally sets the bar for integrated development environments. I've used a lot of them (Eclipse and Xcode to name a couple) and nothing else even comes close to the quality of Visual Studio.

It's the best thing Microsoft has ever made.

newbcakes

Honorable
May 21, 2012
49MB is a large text file, not surprised it's causing problems with the editor...

I've seen many a well equipped system struggle with text files of that size. How much RAM do you have, how is the pagefile configured, etc. When RAM fills up, it pages to disk. Disk = sloooow (comparatively).

is this text file source code? Something that can be broken into pieces?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

It's not in any way related to memory usage. It's just that Notepad is an incredibly simple piece of software that wasn't designed to open text files of that size.

Also, if you don't want to use Visual Studio (I really can't recommend it enough, even to a novice programmer), there's always Notepad++. It addresses a lot of the shortcomings of Notepad, and is free.