Problems with IDE cables

muadib

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
HI!! and thanks in advance. I have a singular problem with a PC, which has the next components: Motherboard Elite K7S5A, AMD ATHLON 1333, 256MB DDR-RAM, HDD Seagate 40GB 5400rpm. Every few months an error occurs when machine is starting "NO HDD is found", the solution is to change the IDE cable, but how is possible??? What should I do to fix this bug?

Thanks and excuse my poor english. Muadib

svol

Champion
First check the IDE cable and the power plug (maybe swap power plug or IDE cable to another connector) to the HD are connected properly and if the BIOS is set up correct to boot from the right drive.
If all is set correctly try replacing the ATA66 cable (the flat one with many small wires) with a new one... or just a normal ATA33 cable (with thick wires) to see if the cable is indeed the problem.
If it still doesn't work with another cable try the HD in another machine to see if the HD is causing it. Or try another HD with the ECS mobo to see if the IDE controller isn't bad.

My CPU runs so hot the arctic silver undergoes nuclear fusion :eek: .

muadib

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
Perhaps I didn't explain well. PC runs well... but... Twice in 6 month I have to change the IDE cable because when I try to start PC as everyday, the BIOS don't recognize the HDD, but every month the PC works perfectly. I don't know how is posible to break an IDE cable without manipulating.

Thanks again. Muadib

svol

Champion
That is very strange... it could be that the cables get fried when a to high current flaws through it, but that sounds very unlikely. But perhaps a piece of the cables is touching something hot which makes it melt slowly.

My CPU runs so hot the arctic silver undergoes nuclear fusion :eek: .