Motorola Phone Tools for V525

Last response: in Brands
March 23, 2005 9:34:15 PM

Hope that someone can help me.

I have installed the drivers for my BlueTooth dongle and got the phone
paired and working a treat. I can upload/download images with the OBEX File
Transfer ... no problem.

Now, I need to install the MPT and get that connected so that I can take a
backup of my phone book.

I have installed MPT (without errors), but when it tries to connect to my
phone it idly sits there doing nothing.

I have tried un-pairing my dongle, rebooting the phone and the PC ... no
better. I tried the same and deleted the phone history ... still, no better
and I have tried it when the PC and phone are paired, yet again no sucess.

I hope that someone can provide some useful information for me.

Here's hoping.....

Sean
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 9:57:10 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <HEi0e.1272$VB6.70@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net> on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:34:15 GMT,
"SA" <reply@group.com> wrote:

>Hope that someone can help me.
>
>I have installed the drivers for my BlueTooth dongle and got the phone
>paired and working a treat. I can upload/download images with the OBEX File
>Transfer ... no problem.
>
>Now, I need to install the MPT and get that connected so that I can take a
>backup of my phone book.
>
>I have installed MPT (without errors), but when it tries to connect to my
>phone it idly sits there doing nothing.
>
>I have tried un-pairing my dongle, rebooting the phone and the PC ... no
>better. I tried the same and deleted the phone history ... still, no better
>and I have tried it when the PC and phone are paired, yet again no sucess.
>
>I hope that someone can provide some useful information for me.
>
>Here's hoping.....

1. Use Live Update to ensure that you have the latest version of MPT.
2. Configure MPT to make the Bluetooth connection exclusive.

March 23, 2005 10:39:24 PM

> 1. Use Live Update to ensure that you have the latest version of MPT.
>
> 2. Configure MPT to make the Bluetooth connection exclusive.

I had the latest version of MPT, from what I understand ... because there is
no LiveUpdate in this version. I cannot get far enough into MPT to make
configuration changes.

I have just booted up an old PC that I had, which was running v2.16 and ran
the LiveUpdates (about 10 versions to download and install) on that. Fingers
crossed this might sort it. Though I shall not hold my breath because I
can't remember if that PC ever connected.

As I recall, there was something about the order in which you pair/unpair,
reboot and run MPT to connect to the phone, but for the life of me I cannot
remember. In fact, the closest I have come was when I stumbled across
information in Google groups ... that I wrote nearly two years ago ... shame
I didn't write a more descriptive answer.

Anyway, I will try this and see if there's any progress.

If all else fails, I'll have to get out pen & paper and write down all 200
or so numbers (what a chore!)

I will update later ...
March 24, 2005 1:36:10 AM

Before you resort to pen & paper try using a USB cable. You can get one for
the phone on ebay real cheap.

"SA" <reply@group.com> wrote in message

>> 1. Use Live Update to ensure that you have the latest version of MPT.
>>
>> 2. Configure MPT to make the Bluetooth connection exclusive.
>>

> I had the latest version of MPT, from what I understand ... because there
> is no LiveUpdate in this version. I cannot get far enough into MPT to make
> configuration changes.
>
> I have just booted up an old PC that I had, which was running v2.16 and
> ran the LiveUpdates (about 10 versions to download and install) on that.
> Fingers crossed this might sort it. Though I shall not hold my breath
> because I can't remember if that PC ever connected.
>
> As I recall, there was something about the order in which you pair/unpair,
> reboot and run MPT to connect to the phone, but for the life of me I
> cannot remember. In fact, the closest I have come was when I stumbled
> across information in Google groups ... that I wrote nearly two years ago
> ... shame I didn't write a more descriptive answer.
>
> Anyway, I will try this and see if there's any progress.
>
> If all else fails, I'll have to get out pen & paper and write down all 200
> or so numbers (what a chore!)
>
> I will update later ...

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:38:53 AM

Okay, so I have dug out the old computer and live updated it to the latest
version.

I run MPT and I get the Wizard to connect to the phone.

Select the phone : Motorola GSM v525

Detects and locates it

Tells me about the pin swap

My phone beeps and asks for the pin. Enter the pin and the screen on the PC
immediately changes.

The I get "Comm port installation failed" dialog box.

Would welcome any ideas?
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:43:13 AM

"brobin" <nospam@atmyplace.com> wrote in message
> Before you resort to pen & paper try using a USB cable. You can get one
> for the phone on ebay real cheap.

I would love to, but the need is more urgent than eBay can provide. My phone
is going back to Vodafone tomorrow because it's not working properly ... and
I know that the MPT can do what I need, because I have had it working in the
past (a previous installation of my PC, unfortunatley)

Sean
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:56:14 AM

The only other thing I can recommend is that you uninstall the Widcomm
drivers for the dongle, clear any BT entries in modems, ports and BT devices
in Device Manager, reboot, plug in the dongle and let MS drivers load, then
run MPT. Let me know if that does the trick.

> "brobin" <nospam@atmyplace.com> wrote in message
>> Before you resort to pen & paper try using a USB cable. You can get one
>> for the phone on ebay real cheap.
>

> I would love to, but the need is more urgent than eBay can provide. My
> phone is going back to Vodafone tomorrow because it's not working properly
> ... and I know that the MPT can do what I need, because I have had it
> working in the past (a previous installation of my PC, unfortunatley)
>
> Sean

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 2:25:10 AM

> The only other thing I can recommend is that you uninstall the Widcomm
> drivers for the dongle, clear any BT entries in modems, ports and BT
> devices in Device Manager, reboot, plug in the dongle and let MS drivers
> load, then run MPT. Let me know if that does the trick.

That is pretty much what I have done to get where I am now. I stumbled
across a guide on the net that took me step-by-step through everything up to
the point before installing MPT ... and at that point I was happily able to
transfer files to/from the phone, but of course without the MPT, I have no
access to the address book.
!