Which do i buy ?

xXSirBrianXx

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I've just finished my build and the missing ingredient is the OS.
but what got me confused is (i'm a noob at this) that there are different versions of windows 7 home premium lie SP1 and OEM.

i know this question is probably so easy you'd think im dumb, but there's know way i'd know since ofcourse this is my new build :]

thanks in advance.

Solution
Unless you need to run XP Mode, I would recommend Home Premium SP1. If you think that you may need XP Mode go for a Pro or Ultimate version, since they include XP Mode for no additional charge.

You don't have to get an SP1 version, but it will save you the time of downloading SP1. An OEM version is fine if you don't anticipate transferring the OS to another machine over the next couple of years. The license of the OEM is pretty much bound to the current machine plus reasonable upgrades.

And yes, I pretty much only use x64 on new builds, I see no need for the 32 bit install on any modern builds.

RealBeast

Titan
Unless you need to run XP Mode, I would recommend Home Premium SP1. If you think that you may need XP Mode go for a Pro or Ultimate version, since they include XP Mode for no additional charge.

You don't have to get an SP1 version, but it will save you the time of downloading SP1. An OEM version is fine if you don't anticipate transferring the OS to another machine over the next couple of years. The license of the OEM is pretty much bound to the current machine plus reasonable upgrades.

And yes, I pretty much only use x64 on new builds, I see no need for the 32 bit install on any modern builds.

Solution

xXSirBrianXx

Honorable
May 19, 2012
MOBO ------Asrock extreme3 970
CPU------ Athlon ii x3 455 ( overclocked to phenom x4 b55 temps go up to 62 o.o is that bad ?)
RAM----- corsair vengeance 8 gig dual
POWER: -------Diaboltek 550 power supply
Graphics: -----MSI N440GT-MD1GD3/LP GeForce GT 440 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit

and also which ones cheaper ;D

RealBeast

Titan
I would definitely go x64 and Home Premium unless you need the XP Mode as I mentioned, I find it useful but I usually use VMWare Workstation instead now to run older and different OSs.