belden 8450 for mic cable (perm inst)

interconnect, <100ft. perm installation in conduit.

think it'd be ok?

thnx,
c deckard
saint louis mo
5 answers Last reply
More about belden 8450 cable perm inst

    mr c deckard <chrisdec@swbell.net> wrote:
    >interconnect, <100ft. perm installation in conduit.
    >
    >think it'd be ok?

    No, it's a pain to work with. Get the stranded stuff and you will
    find it much easier to pull and a little bit easier to terminate.
    --scott

    On 30 Nov 2004 19:26:31 -0800, mr c deckard <chrisdec@swbell.net> wrote:
    > interconnect, <100ft. perm installation in conduit.
    >
    > think it'd be ok?

    It's solid, so won't bear with much flexing. It'll be fine to pull it
    into a raceway to fixed locations, but I'd be leery of having even a
    mixer fanout exposed or subject to movement.

    Take a look at 8451, the stranded version.

    Also, don't be afraid to call Belden. I've gotten excellent help from
    them in the past.

    > mr c deckard <chrisdec@swbell.net> wrote:
    > >interconnect, <100ft. perm installation in conduit.
    > >
    > >think it'd be ok?
    >
    > No, it's a pain to work with. Get the stranded stuff and you will
    > find it much easier to pull and a little bit easier to terminate.

    Different strokes for different folks -- I've always found it *easier* to
    terminate, and about the same to pull. Do watch out for flexing in fan-outs,
    though.

    To my mind, the only real problem with this stuff for this application is
    the annoying ease with which the insulation on the internal wires melts.

    Peace,
    Paul

    In article <P3lrd.3565$8v3.2949@trndny08>,
    "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" <"Charles Krug"@aol.com> wrote:

    > On 30 Nov 2004 19:26:31 -0800, mr c deckard <chrisdec@swbell.net> wrote:
    > > interconnect, <100ft. perm installation in conduit.
    > >
    > > think it'd be ok?
    > >

    > It's solid, so won't bear with much flexing. It'll be fine to pull it
    > into a raceway to fixed locations, but I'd be leery of having even a
    > mixer fanout exposed or subject to movement.
    >
    > Take a look at 8451, the stranded version.
    >
    > Also, don't be afraid to call Belden. I've gotten excellent help from
    > them in the past.

    Or take a look at 9451 instead. It's a quick strip, with the drain wire
    outside the foil shield.

    > > No, it's a pain to work with. Get the stranded stuff and you will
    > > find it much easier to pull and a little bit easier to terminate.
    >
    > Different strokes for different folks -- I've always found it *easier* to
    > terminate, and about the same to pull. Do watch out for flexing in fan-outs,
    > though.

    i must agree, i find working with solid wire much easier when
    soldering, etc. probably because i can bend it all where i want then
    just dab the solder on. the flex issue on the board is a good point,
    but since this is a perm. installation (from interconnect to xlr
    patchbay), it should be ok.

    i'm selling the studio (!) and i don't think the new guy wants to
    spring for perm inst starquad like i did, in fact, he's a better
    accountant than i am, so we'll be using 8450.

    thanks,
    chris deckard
    saint louis mo

    > Peace,