Western Digital's BB & JB models...

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Im thinking of buying a new harddrive & im not sure which route to go. The WD800JB models sure looks great, & that was supposed to be my first choice. But after looking at the benchmarks on various WD 2MB/8MB drives, it didnt seem to make much difference. So instead i probably might go for the WD800BB drive, but if i do, why not buy some other brands like Seagate, Quantum or Maxtor? Can someone give me pointers of where i should go?

I dont plan on doing much if any intensive harddrive activities. All ill do is play games with lots of large textures. So will 8MB really make a difference?

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
yeah i think you will be happy with the JB version in the long run. Not only is it a faster drive, but it still comes with a 3 year warranty compared to 1 with the BB's.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Your looking at the wrong benchmarks then LOL
I have a 800JB and its very zippy.
The 8mb cache improves lots of small transfers noticably.

Plus the 3year warantee is useful.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have both versions, you probably won't notice any speed difference. I bought the 8mb cache drive because the other models only come with a one year warantee.

The hard drive manufacturers claim that very few hard drives fail during the second or third year. This has to be bullshit otherwise there how is reducting the warantee to a year a cost cutting measure?

Seems to me their savings must be directly proportional to the amount lost by people whose drives fair durring the second and third years.

How can a reduction in warantee be anything other than a signal that there will soon be a reduction in quality.

Spend the extra money and get the three year warantee.

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Totally agree with you. I have a WD 400BB and a year and ahalf into its life...kaput...WD has a great advance RMA service, though. The jb is worth the minimal cost difference for the warranty alone. If not for that 3 years I would be out 120.00 instead of the price of shipping.

...ummm...sorry, I forgot what I was going to say...