Connecting Roku/Blueray/Internet TV/Printer Using Laptop as Router

G

I have an unusual situation. My landlord was supplying the cable through a bulk account. As a tenant I was able to contract with the cable company on a separate account for my internet. Landlord decided to debulk with cable provider and contract with another. New provider did not install their own lines and equipment but instead chose to block the original providers signal even if we had our own account. The "Park" has it's own internet which it is allowing the tenents to use however the device has to connect wirelessly as there isn't a router. It then auto-logs you into their website which you register for and create your own ID and password. Laptop works - yeah!

The rest of the devices do not have the ability to access the system since they cannot open a webpage in the same manner. I was told to get a wireless access point and connect it to the laptop which is connected wirelessly to their internet and to then connect the devices through the access point. Not so hard in theory but I'm not sure if I need to do anything to the laptop so that it not only receives the internet signal but sends one as well. Thoughts, ideas, step-by-step? Anything that will help me to better understand the process would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I had a simi;ar situation in that I was getting the internet from a Direct Tv dish and the modm that came withtthe setup connected by usb to a computer or a router. At the time there were not any routers that could connect by usb so my way around this was to connect the modem to a laptop and then comnnect the laptop to a router which then provided internet to the rest of the devices. The only draw back was that if I went on the lasptop to use the internet it slowed everybody down so I just left the laptop alone and called it part of the network. There was nothing else that I had to do. So connect your laptop to the parks service and plug an ethernet cable from the laptop to the router and you should give the internet to the other...
I had a simi;ar situation in that I was getting the internet from a Direct Tv dish and the modm that came withtthe setup connected by usb to a computer or a router. At the time there were not any routers that could connect by usb so my way around this was to connect the modem to a laptop and then comnnect the laptop to a router which then provided internet to the rest of the devices. The only draw back was that if I went on the lasptop to use the internet it slowed everybody down so I just left the laptop alone and called it part of the network. There was nothing else that I had to do. So connect your laptop to the parks service and plug an ethernet cable from the laptop to the router and you should give the internet to the other devices connected to the router.

Solution
G

Thank you for helping. It's been a very frustrating two weeks.

I can imagine and I will say that even though you don't think it's possable you may have a choice. I don't know your exact situation as far as where your living and what it is your living in but there could be an alternative with Direct tv and they did the last time I checked have an internet option if you don't need it for more than surfing and music and movie streaming. You should check it out and see if it's an option vs depending on the landlord.

G

I am in an apartment over the office for an RV/Mobile Home Park. They just cancelled Comcast and installed Direct TV but we went from basic & expanded basic cable of more than 75 channels to 24 channels (most of which are news or sports). They have TengoInternet as their internet provider which as you can guess is specialized for the RV community not permanent stationary homes. Great for them, bad for me. I've tried every vendor but the only option other than Comcast, which is now blocked by Direct TV, is Verizon at $80/mo for 15mbps. That's twice the price and 5 mbps slower than Comcast. I'm hoping to avoid the Verizon account since I had them a few years ago and left due to price and signal instability. I don't like walking backwards in technology. The wireless access point will be delivered tomorrow so I get to spend my Saturday fiddling with his and hopefully it will work.

Are you not able to get a subscription with Comcast to have thier service? Is there nothing that can be worked out with the landlord where you could pay for Comcast to do an install in your apartment ? Even to the extent of using new wires ? I was a subcontractor for Comcast for 10 years doing cable/internet installs and I ran accross every different type of situation involving Direct Tv and other cable companies servicing the same building and it is possible to have Direct Tv and Comcast in the same complex but it means running new wires.

G

Comcast was more than willing but the landlord wouldn't permit the alterations to the building. Good news is that the WAP worked and I only have two more devices to reprogram. By not paying for internet or cable and using Netflix, Hulu+ and Amazon Prime I am actually saving a pretty penny. Looks like the landlord is doing me a favor after all (just don't tell him). Thanks for your help. Did a happy dance when the Roku connected.