direct to headphones - want a great guitar distortion "hea..

Last response: in Home Audio
December 1, 2004 2:13:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.guitar.effects,alt.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

I would really appreciate any of your suggestions for this situation
of mine: I would like to buy a decent distortion/overdrive effect
pedal/processor (with a Boss Metal Zone sound - or similar) - but
here's my situation: I mainly will be playing guitar at home, through
headphones - and learning guitar parts from cds, etc. So what is
something that I can buy that I can plug in through my little Mackie
mixer (which will then go to my headphones) and still retain the good
"tone" of a distorted guitar played through an amp? I also will be
doing some home recording (Pro Tools) through my computer, and since I
have roommates, I will be doing a lot of this straight to headphones
as well. What are some good suggestions that you have for guitar
effect pedals/processors - that will give me a decent "80's Heavy
Metal" sound, and still have the great sound and tone - even though
there's no amp involved. At this point I just want a distortion effect
and some sort of reverb. I'm not too concerned with the price, I just
want it to sound great. I've heard about the Marshall DRP-1
(Direct-Recording Preamp) - has anyone tried that? Thanks for any
help/suggestions you can give.
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 9:54:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.guitar.effects,alt.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

In article <3f9318ba.0411302313.52b5ebec@posting.google.com>,
scott26@hotmail.com (scott a) wrote:

> I would really appreciate any of your suggestions for this situation
> of mine: I would like to buy a decent distortion/overdrive effect
> pedal/processor (with a Boss Metal Zone sound - or similar) - but
> here's my situation: I mainly will be playing guitar at home, through
> headphones - and learning guitar parts from cds, etc. So what is
> something that I can buy that I can plug in through my little Mackie
> mixer (which will then go to my headphones) and still retain the good
> "tone" of a distorted guitar played through an amp? I also will be
> doing some home recording (Pro Tools) through my computer, and since I
> have roommates, I will be doing a lot of this straight to headphones
> as well. What are some good suggestions that you have for guitar
> effect pedals/processors - that will give me a decent "80's Heavy
> Metal" sound, and still have the great sound and tone - even though
> there's no amp involved. At this point I just want a distortion effect
> and some sort of reverb. I'm not too concerned with the price, I just
> want it to sound great. I've heard about the Marshall DRP-1
> (Direct-Recording Preamp) - has anyone tried that? Thanks for any
> help/suggestions you can give.

Line 6 POD - and if you want to do metal, lean towards the POD 2, it
offers a number of hi-gain amp models, several cabinet models. It also
has decent reverb (the flanging and chorus effects aren't too good,
though, if you want good versions of these, go to the XT)

If you're looking for JUST a distortion pedal, Digitech's new line of
pedals include an output with a speaker emulation.

Believe you me, you DON'T want to just plug a standard distortion or
overdrive pedal direct into a mixing board - Gary Moore made that
mistake a few decades ago with his _G-Force_ album, sounded like rabid
weasels thrashing around in an aluminum garbage can :)

It's also not a good idea to just monitor your mixes through
headphones - invest in some good speakers, and just use moderate volume.
I use Radio Shack bookshelf speakers and my home stereo system to
monitor my mixes.

--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
Now On Soundclick for your listening pleasure!

Archived from groups: alt.guitar.effects,alt.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

hi, Vox Tonelab
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 1:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.guitar.effects,alt.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Behringer V-amp. Cheap, has loads of amp \ cabinet models and a ton of
effects.

I used to run one through my mixer for practice and recording.

Rollasoc

"scott a" <scott26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I would really appreciate any of your suggestions for this situation
> of mine: I would like to buy a decent distortion/overdrive effect
> pedal/processor (with a Boss Metal Zone sound - or similar) - but
> here's my situation: I mainly will be playing guitar at home, through
> headphones - and learning guitar parts from cds, etc. So what is
> something that I can buy that I can plug in through my little Mackie
> mixer (which will then go to my headphones) and still retain the good
> "tone" of a distorted guitar played through an amp? I also will be
> doing some home recording (Pro Tools) through my computer, and since I
> have roommates, I will be doing a lot of this straight to headphones
> as well. What are some good suggestions that you have for guitar
> effect pedals/processors - that will give me a decent "80's Heavy
> Metal" sound, and still have the great sound and tone - even though
> there's no amp involved. At this point I just want a distortion effect
> and some sort of reverb. I'm not too concerned with the price, I just
> want it to sound great. I've heard about the Marshall DRP-1
> (Direct-Recording Preamp) - has anyone tried that? Thanks for any
> help/suggestions you can give.
December 1, 2004 2:37:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.guitar.effects,alt.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

I'd second that on the V-amp. Great value for money. Everything you
are seeking plus lots more.

In message <9ahrd.56661$F7.6693@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Rollasoc
<hotmail@hotmail.com> writes
>Behringer V-amp. Cheap, has loads of amp \ cabinet models and a ton of
>effects.
>
>I used to run one through my mixer for practice and recording.
>
>Rollasoc
>

>"scott a" <scott26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I would really appreciate any of your suggestions for this situation
>> of mine: I would like to buy a decent distortion/overdrive effect
>> pedal/processor (with a Boss Metal Zone sound - or similar) - but
>> here's my situation: I mainly will be playing guitar at home, through
>> headphones - and learning guitar parts from cds, etc. So what is
>> something that I can buy that I can plug in through my little Mackie
>> mixer (which will then go to my headphones) and still retain the good
>> "tone" of a distorted guitar played through an amp? I also will be
>> doing some home recording (Pro Tools) through my computer, and since I
>> have roommates, I will be doing a lot of this straight to headphones
>> as well. What are some good suggestions that you have for guitar
>> effect pedals/processors - that will give me a decent "80's Heavy
>> Metal" sound, and still have the great sound and tone - even though
>> there's no amp involved. At this point I just want a distortion effect
>> and some sort of reverb. I'm not too concerned with the price, I just
>> want it to sound great. I've heard about the Marshall DRP-1
>> (Direct-Recording Preamp) - has anyone tried that? Thanks for any
>> help/suggestions you can give.

--
Tim Westcott
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.guitar.effects,alt.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

scott26@hotmail.com (scott a) wrote in

> I would really appreciate any of your suggestions for this situation
> of mine: I would like to buy a decent distortion/overdrive effect
> pedal/processor (with a Boss Metal Zone sound - or similar) - but
> here's my situation: I mainly will be playing guitar at home, through
> headphones - and learning guitar parts from cds, etc. So what is
> something that I can buy that I can plug in through my little Mackie
> mixer (which will then go to my headphones) and still retain the good
> "tone" of a distorted guitar played through an amp? I also will be
> doing some home recording (Pro Tools) through my computer, and since I
> have roommates, I will be doing a lot of this straight to headphones
> as well. What are some good suggestions that you have for guitar
> effect pedals/processors - that will give me a decent "80's Heavy
> Metal" sound, and still have the great sound and tone - even though
> there's no amp involved. At this point I just want a distortion effect
> and some sort of reverb. I'm not too concerned with the price, I just
> want it to sound great. I've heard about the Marshall DRP-1
> (Direct-Recording Preamp) - has anyone tried that? Thanks for any
> help/suggestions you can give.

Well, you ain't gonna wanna hear this, but, if you're going through a
mixer, any line-level preamp will do it - granted it has a 'cabinet
simulation' feature.

I have an old Boss Preamp - full rack space - called the GL-100. Has 2
channels, a loop, a good EQ, about 6 outputs (-10, +4, XLR) and pretty
much can be a Boss Metal Zone or a Rockman... Its winning feature is its
cabinet simulator - I've recorded CD's with the thing and was amazed
myself... The pop up on Ebay fairly cheap....
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 8:51:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.guitar.effects,alt.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Agreed - I love my V-Amp pro, but I can't say good things about the high
gain stuff cuz it's not my thing, but bang for the buck, the V-Amp
modellers are hard to beat. This is my 4rth modeller, and it has the
best organic sounding tweeds and blackfaces than the DG-stomp, the
J-Station and the Pod.

Dave

Rollasoc wrote:
> Behringer V-amp. Cheap, has loads of amp \ cabinet models and a ton of
> effects.
>
> I used to run one through my mixer for practice and recording.
>
> Rollasoc
>

> "scott a" <scott26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I would really appreciate any of your suggestions for this situation
>>of mine: I would like to buy a decent distortion/overdrive effect
>>pedal/processor (with a Boss Metal Zone sound - or similar) - but
>>here's my situation: I mainly will be playing guitar at home, through
>>headphones - and learning guitar parts from cds, etc. So what is
>>something that I can buy that I can plug in through my little Mackie
>>mixer (which will then go to my headphones) and still retain the good
>>"tone" of a distorted guitar played through an amp? I also will be
>>doing some home recording (Pro Tools) through my computer, and since I
>>have roommates, I will be doing a lot of this straight to headphones
>>as well. What are some good suggestions that you have for guitar
>>effect pedals/processors - that will give me a decent "80's Heavy
>>Metal" sound, and still have the great sound and tone - even though
>>there's no amp involved. At this point I just want a distortion effect
>>and some sort of reverb. I'm not too concerned with the price, I just
>>want it to sound great. I've heard about the Marshall DRP-1
>>(Direct-Recording Preamp) - has anyone tried that? Thanks for any
>>help/suggestions you can give.

Anonymous
December 1, 2004 10:15:33 PM

"Dave Sheremata" <davesheremata@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Agreed - I love my V-Amp pro, but I can't say good things about the high
> gain stuff cuz it's not my thing, but bang for the buck, the V-Amp
> modellers are hard to beat. This is my 4rth modeller, and it has the
> best organic sounding tweeds and blackfaces than the DG-stomp, the
> J-Station and the Pod.

Try out a SansAmp while you're at it.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 2:38:18 AM

Have you tried a Korg "Pandora" ?
December 2, 2004 4:48:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.guitar.effects,alt.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Scott--Check out these soundbytes...these were recording pretty much like
you described (guitar into a clean digital effects unit into a laptop
soundcard)

In particular the CloneZ and the PedalPal are the ones which work really
well for direct recording.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/kavita/tcrafter.html

Good luck, Carlos
"scott a" <scott26@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> something that I can buy that I can plug in through my little Mackie
> mixer (which will then go to my headphones) and still retain the good
> "tone" of a distorted guitar played through an amp? I also will be
> doing some home recording (Pro Tools) through my computer
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 2:14:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.guitar.effects,alt.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

a SansAmp run thru a V-AMPII ispretty cool.. IMO

The V-AMPII has a great multi-tap/panning delay that I really like
with a 'tap' button to set the delay time on the control panel.
Fun to use the SansAmp as a "front end" overdrive/etc and
experiment with the various cabinet & amp models in combination.
And the stereo AUX input works well for learning songs and
private practicing.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 10:18:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.guitar.effects,alt.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Scott, I think you might want to get some kind of amp simulator, if you're
looking for the Boss Metal Zone sound why don't you go with the Metal Zone and
a Hughes and Kettner Redbox cab simulator?
Another DI toys I have found useful - anything from Tech21 (Sansamp, TRI-AC,
TRI-OD, PSA-1) gets great direct sound, the Hughes and Kettner Tubeman.
!