Decidion

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Is there a "wired" extender or access point out there?

I need to extend my WiFi to a place outside its range (and the new access point is also outside it's range). Basically have two buildings set up on the same internet connection so I don't have to get a second account and pay a second monthly fee. It's for my home, which is next door to my business, so I am not violating any agreement from my cable company or anything.

I can run a Cat 5/Cat 6 cable to the second building, and plug that into a network port on the primary WiFi router, but I haven't found an extender that will take a wired network connection, only ones that will take WiFi from the original router and extend it, but only if within WiFi range of the original router.

Solution
That is exactly what a AP is. It is most likely cheaper to buy a router that has the ability to run it as a AP...but all routers can run as AP if you use the LAN port and disable DHCP

Decidion

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Thanks for the info.

Would a dual band router (with DHCP) work correctly? By that I mean would both bands be properly received by the AP router, and then transmitted via LAN back to the original/primary router properly?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but WiFi is still relatively new to me.

Thanks again :)