integrated 6.1 Audio

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Just a simple newb question. How can 5.1 & 6.1 integrated mobo audio be 5.1 or 6.1 if it only has LINE-IN, LINE-OUT and MIC connectors?

Elendril

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
When you install the sound drivers, it will load a setup utility. You can use that to change the outputs to Left/Right/Center and other combos.

Elendril

** My System **
Epox 8k9a2+ running an AMD XP 1900+
256mb Corsair XMS PC3500 C2
Twin 120 GB Western Digital Special Edition
Radeon 8500 And Logitech Z-560's
*--*<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Elendril on 12/15/02 02:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Most M/Bs that truly have that capability, come with an additional connector adapter, that plugs into the M/B, and secures to the PCI connector plate, that adapter has 1/8" stereo jacks for Rear Output, and Center/Sub Woofer Output, you get your Front Channel from the fixed Line Out on the M/B itself. Nine times out of ten if your M/B did not come with that adapter, that particular M/B doesn't have the 5.1 capability, even though it may be mentioned in the M/Bs manual, because the manuals can cover more than one series of M/B model numbers, and usually has sub-notes that indicate which models have what capability. If you list your M/B manufacturer and exact model number, I'll find out for you whether you have that capability or not, or you can find it out through the manufacturers website yourself.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Not all M/Bs have that type of configuring capabilities, yours does, the biggest negative I see in that setup is to use the surround functions you give up Mic Input, and Line In to be able to use it, you can use one or the other but not both at the same time, Nice M/B though besides that.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.