Ways of getting around Throttling?

X14U2NVX

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Our campus, whether you connect via wifi or Ethernet, restricts the amount of bandwidth available to each attached device (specifically each MAC address) to around 100 kb/s. Is there any way to connect a number of devices to a switch or router or to each other and "share" internet connectivity between all of them so I could get a faster connection speed all on one device? Basically, I want to sacrifice my laptop as a way to give my desktop higher bandwidth so I can actually browse the web, ect.

Solution
What you ask for will only sorta work. This is a variant of the question how do I use 2 internet connections. If you were careful you could say run youtube traffic on one connection and web surfing on the other. BUT if you want to actually combine the together to get 200kb for a single stream that is close to impossible.

There are sites that sell VPN services to let you attempt to bond 2 circuits together but they suffer from packet out of order problems. Still this is designed to bond 2 circuits coming from a single router not 2 completely different connections. This is not a free service so you have that to consider also.

It is unlikely you can even think to do this without using a device remote from you location.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
What you ask for will only sorta work. This is a variant of the question how do I use 2 internet connections. If you were careful you could say run youtube traffic on one connection and web surfing on the other. BUT if you want to actually combine the together to get 200kb for a single stream that is close to impossible.

There are sites that sell VPN services to let you attempt to bond 2 circuits together but they suffer from packet out of order problems. Still this is designed to bond 2 circuits coming from a single router not 2 completely different connections. This is not a free service so you have that to consider also.

It is unlikely you can even think to do this without using a device remote from you location.

Solution

X14U2NVX

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Alright, thanks for the info, I didn't think it was possible but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't something that I was overlooking.