Sign in with
Your question

Xbox 360 Moderate Nat Help

Last response: in Networking
January 3, 2013 10:38:27 PM

I have tried and tried to change my Nat Type from Moderate to Open on my Xbox 360.
This includes UPnP, DMZ, and an attempt to forward ports.
My router is a Dlink 601 N150 Wireless.
My modem is an extremely old Suddenlink ISP one. -Could this be my problem? I could probably get the exact model if needed.
My xbox 360 is in my room, and I connect to xbox live with my laptop's wireless adapter, which shares the connection through the Ethernet cord that is connected to my xbox. -Could this also be my problem?
Yes, I have disabled the firewall on my laptop, as I have heard that sometimes fixes things.
And, whenever I try to set a static IP address on my xbox, it never works. I always get an IP address error no matter how many times I have tried.
I am very frustrated with this issue, and I thought I could fix this relatively quickly.
I'd appreciate any help from you guys, and I will try to respond quickly. I am open to all suggestions, even if it is something I have tried before. Thank you in advance.

More about : xbox 360 moderate nat

January 3, 2013 11:53:26 PM

you Xbox needs to connect directly to the router and not through your labtop
m
l
January 4, 2013 12:00:49 AM

smathis11 said:
I have tried and tried to change my Nat Type from Moderate to Open on my Xbox 360.
This includes UPnP, DMZ, and an attempt to forward ports.
My router is a Dlink 601 N150 Wireless.
My modem is an extremely old Suddenlink ISP one. -Could this be my problem? I could probably get the exact model if needed.

Only if its a hybrid modem/router which it does not seem like it is. NAT occurs at the router.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translatio...

smathis11 said:

My xbox 360 is in my room, and I connect to xbox live with my laptop's wireless adapter, which shares the connection through the Ethernet cord that is connected to my xbox. -Could this also be my problem?

Yes your computer's ICS is a simple router, so you are adding as econd router after your DLINK and this router has less config options to use. Go buy a wireless NIC for the xbox and get it off that laptop. they try the DMZ again on the dlink, that should clear it all up.

smathis11 said:
Yes, I have disabled the firewall on my laptop, as I have heard that sometimes fixes things.

No, firewall >< Network address translation.

smathis11 said:
And, whenever I try to set a static IP address on my xbox, it never works. I always get an IP address error no matter how many times I have tried.

Probably becasue you are setting the dlink up for static, but the dlink connects to the laptop not the xbox, the laptop would have to be set for static for it to work but even then it will not fix the issue of double NAT.

smathis11 said:
I am very frustrated with this issue, and I thought I could fix this relatively quickly.

Get rid of ICS and you should be able to.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 12:02:50 AM

Emerald said:
you Xbox needs to connect directly to the router and not through your labtop

I had moderate nat when it was connected like that also. this is a fairly new way of connecting
m
l
January 4, 2013 12:04:53 AM

wacabletech said:
Only if its a hybrid modem/router which it does not seem like it is. NAT occurs at the router.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translatio...

Yes your computer's ICS is a simple router, so you are adding as econd router after your DLINK and this router has less config options to use. Go buy a wireless NIC for the xbox and get it off that laptop. they try the DMZ again on the dlink, that should clear it all up.

No, firewall >< Network address translation.

Probably becasue you are setting the dlink up for static, but the dlink connects to the laptop not the xbox, the laptop would have to be set for static for it to work but even then it will not fix the issue of double NAT.

Get rid of ICS and you should be able to.

I should have noted that this problem occurred for multiple years when the xbox was connected directly to the router, if this has anything to do with that.
m
l
January 4, 2013 12:55:16 AM

So lets separate this out right now, connect by Ethernet directly to the modem, then reboot the modem by taking the power off it and putting it back on [unless you have phone service through them then pen on the reset button it]. after it comes back online, power up the xbox. Check your NAT setting now, if its not good, list the model of the modem and maybe try a port scan to your computer after setting it back up with the router.

Like shields up
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

and see what it says, if there are blocked ports, you might want to compare them toe a google for xbox 360 port forwarding.
m
l
January 11, 2013 9:35:46 AM

wacabletech said:
So lets separate this out right now, connect by Ethernet directly to the modem, then reboot the modem by taking the power off it and putting it back on [unless you have phone service through them then pen on the reset button it]. after it comes back online, power up the xbox. Check your NAT setting now, if its not good, list the model of the modem and maybe try a port scan to your computer after setting it back up with the router.

Like shields up
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

and see what it says, if there are blocked ports, you might want to compare them toe a google for xbox 360 port forwarding.

Okay so I did this after I recieved my ethernet cable from amazon. I forwarded the ports to the static ip of my Xbox. For a few days I had open Nat, then it just changed back to moderate. I checked if the ip was still static, it was, and I have all the neccesary ports forwarded. i dont know what to do.
m
l
!