CD Burn Software

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I have a data and music CD that was made by a friend and I want to copy it exactly the same as is, as there a many different burning software available and ways of burning {copying},
Question- what is the best burning software for "ease of use", with minimal option setup so that I can just copy any CD exactly the same without spending time- reading and comprehending all the different methods of setting up burning options?
Thanks

DCB_AU

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
If its just an audio CD without any copy protection, then NERO is pretty good. Got a dead simple copy wizard that lets you do all the basic things, just follow the prompts.

If you have some pesky copy-protected cd, then CloneCD is pretty darn good and almost as simple.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
and to add to PooBaa's reply for particularly pesky cd protections like securerom *new* blindwrite suite leads the pack at the moment

<b><font color=blue>Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most </b></font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I dont care much for blindwrite.
When i tried to on my safeburn2 copy protected serious sam2 disk all i got were useless coasters.
It didnt like my ASPI layer and used its own wierd one.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
have you tried the latest releases ?? anyway until clonecd can do securerom I will use both.. my SS2 was copied no problem but I did find I needed to read and make the image for ghost recon on my asus cdrom and then burn it with the lite on to get a working copy.. using the lite on as the reader never worked for that one in my own case

<b><font color=blue>Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most </b></font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
latest game i got was IDW2. not sure what type of protection it has, but clonecd did it ok.

Do you know exactly what ASPI layer you are using?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
in blindwrite I can choose either their proprietary patin-Coufin (sp?) or my latest instll of the adaptec aspi I used the Patin one with good results and used DAO-PW as the burn parameter (same as raw-96 I am told)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm ok.
I tried patton coufin & DAO-PW with my serious sam cd and all i got was a coaster.
oh well.

Maybe if i find a disc that nero or clonecd cant burn ill give it another try.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
yeah Clone CD was my favorite until I found I couldnt back up my ghost recon disk .. I think now that the fault lay in the inability of the burner to read it the way it needed to as I was able to make the copy with blindsuite only when I did the read with my asus cdrom

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
What do you think of your liteon drive anyway?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think now that the fault lay in the inability of the burner to read it the way it needed to as I was able to make the copy with blindsuite only when I did the read with my asus cdrom
That's what I have been reading at CDfreaks.com.

It's hard to stay on top of this because things change nearly every day. However it seems, as good as Liteons are at writing, they are still not the best at reading the new protections. They still have trouble dealing with SecuROM NEW and SafeDisk 2.8+. (I believe this was still true with the 48x burners. Don't know about the 52X burners).

The best combinations still seem to require a Liteon Burner + a seperate reader. Liteon DVDROMS work good. I think Pioneer DVDROMS do. Not sure which are best CDROMS but if your ASUS worked for you then it is probably one of the better ones.

For a single drive solution I think the ASUS units are still the top choice. They are good readers and writers plus they can handle the latest protections, even some of the Audio CD protections.

Still a crap shoot with software though. Don't know which reader, burner, software combinations can knock off SD 2.8+ or the latest SecuROM NEW versions. For the latter you definitely need something that writes Twin Sectors, needed to fool SecuROMs protection. Plus you need a reader that doesn't choke on the Twin Sectors. People seem to be having mixed results, knocking off different protections with different software. Some copies work on most drives, some only on a few or only one drive, like just on the burner. (I think I heard if a copy works on a Toshiba CDROM then the copy is a very good one indeed).

Don't recall all the issues with SafeDisc 2.8 (and a few other versions) but there was the blacklisting issue. Liteons were definitely affected by this.

None of this info is from personal experience. Just trying to stay on top of the latest news and rumors and having trouble telling which is which. (Hope I haven't just contributed to the rumor mill).

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
don't you need a mod chip for a ps2 to read backed up disks ??