V635 usb transfer sppeds

Last response: in Brands
Share
March 27, 2005 9:42:36 PM

Does anyone else find the usb transfer speed of the v635 unbearably slow?

I've tried transferring mp3's to the transflash card both in the mobile
phone tools browser and with the phone in usb bypass mode (where is just
appears as an external usb drive). It always takes 4-5 minutes per song.

I'm intending to get a 512Mb transflash card when they start shipping in
April, but the thought of having to wait an hour to upload tracks 10
disturbs me. I know that I can use the xd adaptor and a card reader but
I wanted to keep removal of the transflash to a minimum (it's described
as semi removable after all).

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!
March 28, 2005 4:22:05 PM

use bluetooth instead. i`ve found the usb connection to be very unreliable.
a bluetooth dongle can be had on ebay for very little outlay. :-)
"drbob" <drbob@spamblock.gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
> Does anyone else find the usb transfer speed of the v635 unbearably slow?
>
> I've tried transferring mp3's to the transflash card both in the mobile
> phone tools browser and with the phone in usb bypass mode (where is just
> appears as an external usb drive). It always takes 4-5 minutes per song.
>
> I'm intending to get a 512Mb transflash card when they start shipping in
> April, but the thought of having to wait an hour to upload tracks 10
> disturbs me. I know that I can use the xd adaptor and a card reader but I
> wanted to keep removal of the transflash to a minimum (it's described as
> semi removable after all).
>
> --
> drbob
>
> OE Users - check this out!
March 29, 2005 4:43:39 AM

Martin Pick wrote:
> use bluetooth instead. i`ve found the usb connection to be very unreliable.
> a bluetooth dongle can be had on ebay for very little outlay. :-)

I've got a bluetooth dongle but transfer speeds via bluetooth are even
slower! I've not found usb unreliable, just slow to transfer files. USB
1.1 is meant to run at 12MBit/s that equates to 1.5Mbyte/s I don't
expect to achieve the theoretical maximum but 5 minutes for a 4 megabyte
song is only 13kb /second - 1/1000th of the rated speed!

I think the problem may lie with my system and not the phone though, as
another v635 owner on the howard forums says they have no such problem.

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!
March 30, 2005 3:41:42 AM

drbob wrote:

> I think the problem may lie with my system and not the phone though, as
> another v635 owner on the howard forums says they have no such problem.

Other people have now reported similar problems with the transfer speed,
so it's not just me. Only workaround is to put the transflash in the sd
adaptor and copy files using a separate card reader, annoying as the
cards are so tiny I'm always worried about damaging them. It's the only
(minor) problem I've discovered so far with this phone.

The thread discussing this issue is here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=...

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!