Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unable to update steam mobile connection

Last response: in Windows 7
February 16, 2010 7:30:54 PM

I'm trying to update the Steam Client - but when launched it sits there doing nothing, until a box pops up with the message "Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet." I am connected! I'm running Windows 7 OS, unfortunately I'm having to use an o2 mobile broadband connection and trying to update the Client so I can download EQ2 Sentinel's Fate - in case that makes a difference?!

Please help!

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
February 16, 2010 11:11:08 PM

Check your firewall's settings to ensure the Steam.exe process is allowed.
February 17, 2010 8:45:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! I had an expired McAfee which was running a Firewall, I've uninstalled it and am now using the Windows Firewall. I have checked and it is allowing the Steam.exe process..... Same problem :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2010 11:01:31 AM

Turn your firewalls off and try again. If it goes through then steam.exe is being blocked by the firewall. If it doesn't, go through Steam's settings to see if there's anything in there that tells/forces Steam to use a connection.
m
l
February 17, 2010 11:48:36 AM

I tried, and same problem occurs - and I cannot check Steam's settings, as it's the Client I am trying to download / update.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2010 4:51:25 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l
July 19, 2010 12:49:06 PM

Hello,

I am having the same problem, I am also using a O2 Mobile Broadband connection, and the same box pops up with me.

what did you do to solve the issue?

Thanks,

Michael
m
l
!