General DVD copying info. help

Blurr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello to all!!! I am thinking about getting a dvd burner now that they have become oh so reasonable in cost. However, I know very little about the details/capabilities of using them (i.e. formats, compatability, etc.). I have an intermediate level of computing from an end user standpoint, but can learn just about anything. If anyone here can tell me or point me in the right direction as to where I can learn about using DVD burners, what things like (r) and (+r) are, and can they be used to make backup copies of my DVD movies, games, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ERH

You can copy DVDs as VCDs, with audio quality as high as CD standards, and video quality as high as VHS tapes, using a CDRW with buffer underun protection, and regular CDR disks, however it usually takes two CDR disks for one movie, instead of one DVD disk, and a CD Player that can play VCDs, but its a heck of a lot cheaper. Are you interested???

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Actually, Super VCD is good quality, better then VHS and SVHS. A resolution of 480 by 576 I believe. DVD is 720 by 576. I agree with Ryan. Also, it depends on what you are viewing a movie on, if it is a regular TV, they do not have much resolution.

For me, until DVD burners get down to 100-150.00, I do not think they are worth the money. Would not mind having one though!

To answer your question. (r) and (r+) are two different formats. Kinda like VHS and beta. Sony has a DVD burner that uses both formats.

Yes, you can burn movies and games. For movies, if they are your home movies, Digital is easy. If analog, you may need
a video capture card depending on what video card you have now.

Pre-recorded movies on DVD and VHS, you can record them.

Games, you can record them.

For the DVD burner would be used mostly use for backup. Much better storage capacity.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

Blurr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the response. I think I would prefer to stick with the DVD burner approach though. Just my preference. Thanks again. :)

Blurr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
After reading your post, I agree with the cost factor. Though they have certainly come down quite a bit from when they first entered the market. However, at the cost level they are at now I would be willing to take the plunge with the right burner. Now in order to make copies of DVD movies or games I own (I have to make copies, with some of the people in my household if you don't have a duplicate of just about everything you'll lose it forever...) I'm assuming you can't just take a DVD (movie or game) and make a copy like music CD's, or is it that simple? I read somewhere about different formats in terms of single/double density, single/double sided, etc. and also how certain info. is put on the first track which affects copying (I'm not really sure). How does that work or better yet, if you know of good software to accomplish this or a website where I can learn this stuff it would be greatly appreciated. Aren't some (or all) of these things copy protected? Thanks again for you help.