Need Advice regarding my speed issue

kiteohatto

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
First of all, thank you for even clicking my topic ! :)
Right, to start off my old isp provided broadband through a phone line but i recently got a new provider that does it through cable and now my router is in the living room and running a cable to my study just isn't possible.

When I did "speedtest.net" test on my mum's laptop I get 70-80mbits with 15Mb/s file downloads(over wireless).
I bought a TP-Link 450mbps wireless pcie-e adapter for my pc and my speed AND the connection is horrible, 6-12mbits with barely 800kbps download(lol).

Now, i have tried to use homeplugs from Devolo(hispeed ones "apparently") but it was still around 6-10 mbits and they were plugged directly into the sockets.

I would really like to know what's going on....why is it that im able to get almost full download speed over wireless on the laptop but not on my pc ?

Do i need to buy the "same" wireless N Dual band router just to use my wireless adapter to full extent or something ?

Please help me :(, im really clueless when it comes to networks.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
What happens if you plug your pc directly into the router to test. If you get the same speed on wireless and on wired (which your homeplug should have been) then I would be looking at the PC itself as the cause and not the network connection.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Does moving the desktop within the room make any difference to the speed? If the desktop is on the floor near a wall, try putting it on top of your desk.

You also want to make sure you go to the manufacturers website for the wireless adapter and get the latest driver. Might want to see if there is a firmware update for your router as well.

kiteohatto

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Thanks for the tips, I just managed to get a really long ethernet cable and will keep it for now, getting ~85mbps with 22mb/s peak download now, im happy :).