Studio album budgets? What are they these days?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 1, 2004 10:41:04 PM

I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed at any length in this
group. So I thought I'd get up to speed on the average recording
budgets of various albums these days. Let's say to start with, Major
Label/Major producer-engineer album(pop, rock, country, etc.), Minor
label, indie etc. Let's also look at Jazz records, same situations.
Acoustic solo, whatever you guys can come up with. I'm just curious.
Where everybody's at. I've been suprised by how small budgets have
been on Jazz & Blues records I've worked on from indies. Maybe they're
just small on paying me :-)

This should be fun.
Aaron Householter
studio1117
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 12:40:20 PM

In article <f784144d.0412011941.3e88c604@posting.google.com> std1117@swbell.net writes:

> I thought I'd get up to speed on the average recording
> budgets of various albums these days. Let's say to start with, Major
> Label/Major producer-engineer album(pop, rock, country, etc.)

A budget for a project like this includes a large amount of money for
publicity, tours, product, videos, fatties, sushi, vodka, and so on in
addition to studio time, equipment, salaries, "points," and occasionally
profits. Accounting for projects like this is so convoluted that
nobody really knows how much money is actually spent, just how much is
coming in after a while (and which determines whether the artist will
make another album). But I'd say that these days $100K is in the
ballpark, +/- 50%.

> Minor label, indie etc. Let's also look at Jazz records, same situations.

Typically $25K to $50K. Generally things are on a smaller scale, there
are fewer individuals managing their own piece of the budget, and
costs, both for recording and everything else are generally on a
smaller scale.

> Acoustic solo, whatever you guys can come up with.

$0 - $500 (he might want to buy a new mic)

December 2, 2004 11:33:41 PM

A jazz record for 25K? Isn't jazz a relatively "live off the floor" type
thing? They're usually recorded over 3 or 4 sessions. That's no more than a
grand per session in a great room. What would normally account for the
$21,000 I'm missing? Cool artwork? Mastering?

curious

Rick Hollett

> In article <f784144d.0412011941.3e88c604@posting.google.com>
> std1117@swbell.net writes:
>
>> I thought I'd get up to speed on the average recording
>> budgets of various albums these days. Let's say to start with, Major
>> Label/Major producer-engineer album(pop, rock, country, etc.)
>
> A budget for a project like this includes a large amount of money for
> publicity, tours, product, videos, fatties, sushi, vodka, and so on in
> addition to studio time, equipment, salaries, "points," and occasionally
> profits. Accounting for projects like this is so convoluted that
> nobody really knows how much money is actually spent, just how much is
> coming in after a while (and which determines whether the artist will
> make another album). But I'd say that these days $100K is in the
> ballpark, +/- 50%.
>
>> Minor label, indie etc. Let's also look at Jazz records, same situations.
>
> Typically $25K to $50K. Generally things are on a smaller scale, there
> are fewer individuals managing their own piece of the budget, and
> costs, both for recording and everything else are generally on a
> smaller scale.
>
>> Acoustic solo, whatever you guys can come up with.
>
> $0 - $500 (he might want to buy a new mic)

December 3, 2004 4:11:49 AM

>A jazz record for 25K? Isn't jazz a relatively "live off the floor" type
>thing? They're usually recorded over 3 or 4 sessions. That's no more than a
>grand per session in a great room. What would normally account for the
>$21,000

Well, you have to pay the musicians, producer(s), engineer(s), food, drink,
transportion, lodging..etc.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 4:11:50 AM

I guess for a label recording. Good luck recouping!

Rick Hollett
"Blind Joni" <blindjoni@aol.com> wrote in message
> >A jazz record for 25K? Isn't jazz a relatively "live off the floor" type
>>thing? They're usually recorded over 3 or 4 sessions. That's no more than
>>grand per session in a great room. What would normally account for the
>>$21,000
>
> Well, you have to pay the musicians, producer(s), engineer(s), food,
> drink,
> transportion, lodging..etc.
>

> John A. Chiara
> SOS Recording Studio
> Live Sound Inc.
> Albany, NY
> www.sosrecording.net
> 518-449-1637
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 7:11:04 AM

Budgets?!?! Ha!!

-jeff (I've been advising all my clients NOT to sign with indies... the
budgets are so pathetic, they'd be better off selling som blood and paying for
it themselves and signing a distro deal!)
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:13:27 PM

I'm advising all my clients to not take the advice of anyone that can't figure
out the Pro Tools LE manual.

!