Masterlist CD alternatives?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 2, 2004 7:54:34 AM

I've been using DigiDesign's Masterlist CD for many
years to assemble audio masters, also using the Waves L1
for peak limiting and subtle EQ. I've always found
Masterlist CD to be lacking in the crossfading and batch

Any suggestions for an alternative software to create CD
masters? I tried JAM for a while, but didn't like that
either. I would also like to try different software for
peak limiting and simple mastering EQ.

I'm using Mac 9.2.
John Noll
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 7:54:35 AM

John Noll wrote:
> I've been using DigiDesign's Masterlist CD for many years to assemble
> audio masters, also using the Waves L1 for peak limiting and subtle EQ.
> I've always found Masterlist CD to be lacking in the crossfading and
> batch loading areas.
>
> Any suggestions for an alternative software to create CD masters? I
> tried JAM for a while, but didn't like that either. I would also like to
> try different software for peak limiting and simple mastering EQ.
>
> I'm using Mac 9.2.

As long as you stick with OS9, Waveburner Pro is still a good option.

Someday they might even fix the scarily broken OSX stuff...
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 7:38:40 PM

<< Any suggestions for an alternative software to create CD
masters? I tried JAM for a while, but didn't like that
either. >>

BIAS Peak. What didn't you like about Jam?

Scott Fraser
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 9:04:03 PM

"John Noll" <jn145_deletethisfirst_@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I've been using DigiDesign's Masterlist CD for many years to assemble
> audio masters, also using the Waves L1 for peak limiting and subtle EQ.
> I've always found Masterlist CD to be lacking in the crossfading and batch
>
> Any suggestions for an alternative software to create CD masters? I tried
> JAM for a while, but didn't like that either. I would also like to try
> different software for peak limiting and simple mastering EQ.

Dunno if CD Architect would run under some sort of emulator (anfd plugins
?????) .

geoff
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:00:40 AM

<< << Any suggestions for an alternative software to create CD
masters? I tried JAM for a while, but didn't like that
either. >> >>

Check out the newest Roxio Toast. It incorporates a GUI to let you see the
waveforms of the tracks you're burning. It looks kind of like CD architect.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:38:26 AM

ScotFraser wrote:
> << Any suggestions for an alternative software to create CD
> masters? I tried JAM for a while, but didn't like that
> either. >>

> BIAS Peak. What didn't you like about Jam?
>
> Scott Fraser

In JAM you used to have to open Toast to burn the actual
CD (I believe this is no longer the case). You could
specify the burntime, but even if I set it to 2x to burn
a master, it always burned it 16X.

I also had trouble joining together multiple regions to
create one track from multiple edits. A call to their
tech people was futile. They had no clue as to what I
was talking about.

John Noll
December 3, 2004 7:39:49 AM

Someone mentioned not liking the xfade options in MLCD.

A simple solution which you probably already use is to take the end of
the first song and the beginning of the next one - or take both songs
(I just take the parts I need) - and put them in Protools and get the
xfade you like. Save it as a Sound Designer file, drop it into MLCD and
place the track start markers wherever you want them.

Personally, I just use the crossfaded part of each song in the
Masterlist and leave the rest of each song alone, by editing the now
slightly chopped songs in Sound Designer. I don't like messing with
masters in any way if I don't have to.

The big advange of MLCD for me is it's seamless interoperability with
SD and PT, along with access to PQ subcodes and access point offsets.
(Your access point offset is damn important if you need a very precise
start point for a song that's been xfaded or very tightly edited. MLCD
defaults to 15 frames which is much too large for very precise stuff.
It's great to be able to change the offset when needed.)

And it's rock solid. I don't have to wonder about the CD masters people
walk out the door with. And those old Yamaha scsi burners we have here
that work with MLCD create masters pressing houses love.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:36:02 AM

<< In JAM you used to have to open Toast to burn the actual
CD (I believe this is no longer the case). You could
specify the burntime, but even if I set it to 2x to burn
a master, it always burned it 16X. >>

In the version of Jam I have (Titanium) it automatically opens Toast for you, &
it burns at the speed you set.
Scott Fraser
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:38:42 AM

<< I also had trouble joining together multiple regions to
create one track from multiple edits. A call to their
tech people was futile. They had no clue as to what I
was talking about. >>

I would make the file ready to burn before sending it to Jam. I do this in
Digital Performer, so Jam isn't being asked to do anything other than burn
prepared parts.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 11:40:01 AM

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:38:26 -0500, John Noll wrote
(in article <41AF8B01.1060407@verizon.net>):

> ScotFraser wrote:
>> << Any suggestions for an alternative software to create CD
>> masters? I tried JAM for a while, but didn't like that
>> either. >>

>> BIAS Peak. What didn't you like about Jam?
>>
>> Scott Fraser
>
> In JAM you used to have to open Toast to burn the actual
> CD (I believe this is no longer the case).

no longer a problem.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
!