DVD Burner Questions

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Seeing the price drops in DVD recorders, I am planning to get one. Couple questions:

1) Should I get DVD-R or DVD+R?
2) Is it true that currently, recorders have a max limit disc size of about 4.5 gigs?
3) Is burning DVDs as simple as buring CDs?
4) For those of you have have a burner already, can you please list your write speed and how long it takes you to burn a full DVD at that speed?

Thanks

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnects free of charge"

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
1) Buy Sony DRU-500A, you will get both DVD-R and DVD+R burning capability. It has 4x DVD+R/RW (with firmware update) and 4x DVD-R/2x DVD-RW writing spped. It's the fastest and most feature rich drive in the market.

Check the <A HREF="http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=154" target="_new"> CDRlabs review of Sony DRU-500A </A>

2) Don't know

3) Yes

4) Look at writing times of the Sony DRU-500A in the CDRlabs review, you should have idea about DVD-Writing time

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Ok for now yes i'd go with the SONY..
Also yes 4.5 discs are all that's available.. They might start making those Dual SIDED discs.. so that's 4.5 + 4.5 on one disc..

But in a few yrs they are going to change the FOrmatt again from what i understand to most likely be the BluRAY disc, which can hold a hell of alot more, i forgot the exact GB amount cause it's been awhile.. but it's up in the 20's i think..

I don't think it takes 2 long for a Whole DVD to be burnt...

well im used to it cause i have a crappy cd burner.. so im writing @ like 8X... but from what my uncle told me (he has the HP 200i) it doesn't take to long where its outta hand.

This Community is like a Second Family!!

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Hey thanks for all the replies. The disc limit sucks. So I can't "back-up" dvds if the movies are bigger than 4.5 gigs. Oh, I usually burn vcds(video cds) that can play on my dvd player. Instead of buring movies in dvd mpeg2 format, can I burn them in VCD 2.0 formats so I can fit about 4 movies on a disc and still play it im my DVD player? Thanks

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnects free of charge"

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
not sure about that VCD? never really fooled around with VCD's.. Pretty soon they are gonna be making a DVD pLAYER that can play regualar Mpg's... just burn the files you download off the net onto a disc as data, and pop'm in the player and your set to go

This Community is like a Second Family!!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
VCD (PAL) = 352 x 288 @25 fps
VCD (NTSC) = 352 x 240 @29.97 fps

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
i'm just about to buy one myself but i was looking at either the sony or the pioneer a05. so, how do the two compare side by side? also how good is the cd-rw features of the sony?

also note to the original author of this thread: there is a 'how to guide' on this site on how to convert a vhs tape to a dvd using your pc. thought you would like to know.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
well basically i just bought my new 52X Lite-On. so i want the dvd burner for only that purpose... i won't use it to burn cd's..

also does anyone have a current review on this?
do you know anybody in here who has one, so i can atleast talk to them.

Is THG Slightly Slacking??

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
SVCDs are unbelievable in quality. go to www.vcdquality.com to check out the latest releases.

I have over 20 movies that I got in the last month or so that are either currently in the theatre or will be in the theatre soon and they are unbelievable in quality. You get about 45 minutes of near-dvd quality video and sound on a CD. a good comparison is this: better than VHS but not quite DVD.
You want "screeners" or "propers" (direct dvd rips) not "cams" or "telesyncs" (filmed from camera in theatre).

Two Towers is amazing playing in my living room :)
by the way I'm giving out copies of the movie... I just need $20 to cover the cost of my cds and labor ;)
"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vegandago on 01/14/03 06:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>