Acer 5742g wont connect to network

ronbevan

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Hello,
I'm still having problems with my Acer Aspire 5742G not connecting to my home wireless network. Nothing at all changes, but some days the Acer connects, and others not. When it won't connect, it does see the network, and shows that the signal strength is excellent, but it just will not connect. Other devices (2 BlacKBerry's with different OS's, iPad 2, New iPad, iPhone 3G and iPhone 4S) all connect with no problems in exactly the same location, so it seems that the Netgear DGN2200 router is not the problem.

Please can someone help to resolve this extremely frustrating problem (Acer doesn't seem interested, judging by the number of similar posts I've seen all over the Internet).

Thanks, in hope, anticipation and desperation.

Ron

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hi Ron,

I would suggest the following.

1. Using System Restore, try to restore your system to a date when everything was working fine.
2. Update the version of BIOS to the latest available
3. Check wireless card connectivity. For this you'd need to open the section of your laptop where your wireless card is sitting. Check if wireless card connections are intact.

Hope this helps.

I would go to the Acer support web page and download the current driver for your model laptop and keep it on the Windows desk top. Then go to device manager and remove the wireless device and don't restart just yet , also go to the control panel and remove the drivers for the wireless card and then empty the recycle bin and now you can restart.
Once restarted you can load the new driver from your desktop location.

ronbevan

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Hi Jsmakkar,

Thanks very much for your message. I have already tried system restore, but that achieved nothing, so I'll try updating the BIOS, but I'll have to first read up on it as I've not done it before.

Regards
Ron

ronbevan

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Hi Inzone,

Thanks very much for your message. I've already tried downloading the latest driver from Acer, then removing the wireless device and drivers, but not with emptying the recycle bin, so I'll try that.

Regards
Ron