Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Western Digital sucks a$$

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
April 20, 2002 8:04:27 PM

I got a western digital Hd in 98, I had to send it back in 99, I
sent it back again in 2000, the date on the drive is april 24 2000, it is now april
20 2002 and the warranty is expired and so is the drive. I was gonna wipe the drive. It was just working fine, but after doing fdisk and then going to format, it starts clicking and I smell it frying. Computer is fine, another drive in there works fine.

Another good story to tell on why not to buy WD.

Never argue with a fool,
a bystander can't tell you apart.
(M. Twain)

More about : western digital sucks

April 20, 2002 8:20:55 PM

I have never had a WD HD go bad. So I don't agree.

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
April 20, 2002 9:12:04 PM

Neither did I.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
April 20, 2002 10:29:49 PM

Quote:

They had a run of 1.2 gb drives several years ago that nearly all went bad .. I have one of em :frown: but for the most part they make very reliable drives
lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
April 20, 2002 11:06:57 PM

Never had one of those thank goodness.
I guess they fixed their problem but Crash must think they are a VIA division
because he doesn't like WD.
:lol: 

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
April 21, 2002 12:41:41 AM

Haven't had one of WD's new drives go bad...not yet, anyway. Though I have seen MANY older ones come through my "office" in serious need of a grave. The new ones seem to be of much better quality, as I (and my customers) have all been quite satisfied with all of the NEW WD's. That kind of experience does most certainly suck. Have you checked your voltage output on your power supply (for fluxuations & unacceptable spikes)? Though your other drive has no problems...so probably just one sh!t@ss drive to begin with.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.
November 12, 2009 11:00:28 PM

Hempire said:
sent it back again in 2000, the date on the drive is april 24 2000, it is now april
20 2002 and the warranty is expired and so is the drive. I was gonna wipe the drive. It was just working fine, but after doing fdisk and then going to format, it starts clicking and I smell it frying. Computer is fine, another drive in there works fine.

Never argue with a fool,
(M. Twain)

November 12, 2009 11:05:00 PM

Hempire said:

Never argue with a fool,
(M. Twain)

As one of the responders mentioned..older WDs are great..never had a problem with earlier WD drives but that has dramatically changed in both my experience as well as retailer comments.
My 1st WD was a 120GB ext drive which to this day works flawlessly. My second WD was a 1TB ext drive which has been a dog beginning after just 2 months of operation. It was noisy, hot, as well as taking an inordinate amount of time to write as well as transfer files..on top of that the data xfer was corrupt. I called WD and got a foreign speaking person whose knowledge of the drive was likened to a the IQ of a 2 by 4. Well my next drive won't be a WD which surprisingly was the same thinking I received from a salesperson at a MAC store ..quote.."Don't buy WD..they are having engineering issues"...end of story!
November 21, 2009 10:51:04 PM

Western digital sucks!!

I am writing this because another one of my western digital drives died! As a mater of fact there is only one other WD drive in my possession that still works. :pfff: 

The one that just died was the second to last one. Every other one i have has died. :cry: 

I don't do any of that bit torrent stuff, or any major video stuff. That means that i have no real reason to keep up with the hard drive race, so my hard drive fleet is getting old in the tooth. Hopefully, they usually stay in service till they are just to small to do any good. Most of them do, except for one brand.

Being the pack rat i am, nothing is thrown away, they just get stored away, working or not. Something i can point to and go, "Yes they had 40meg hard drives when i was young."

When this WD drive died, i pulled everything out of storage and did a tally of brand, drive type, working and non working. the results have basically convinced me to never buy a WD drive again.

The conners were a bit odd. Evidently they don't have the servo tracks printed that strongly. Most of them were working when pulled from service and put away. But it seems that the servo tracks have faded over the years of storage, to the point that most of them don't work, even though there is nothing phisicaly wrong with them,and i know they worked when i put them up. They spin up, try to initialize then spin down again.

I knew i had a lot of those WD caviar drives die (the ones with the tape seal around the perimeter. i stopped buying those things, All the ones i have were dead when i put them in storage, but when they come out with the more classic bolted and gasket-ted tin lid, i gave them another chance. But having two of the three I bought already die. I am not going to be getting any more.

The primary cause of death, to the exclusion of all others causes, is the servo tracks become corrupted by arrant writing. The head runs off track during a write, and takes out a servo track. When it tries to write close to that area again, the missing servo track causes the head to wonder during the next write cycle taking out even more servo tracks. Once you get a damaged servo track, it just spreads through the drive like a cancer. One of the primary things that will cause it to take out the first servo track is turning off the power during a write cycle. The supply voltage starts dropping and it can't maintain head position while it completing the sector it's writing. And you know what happens when the head drifts. It will inevitably take out a servo track. I don't even want to count how many WD drives I have seen die in other people's computers because someone turned off the computer while something was writing, or because of a power glitch.

When i was in school we installed about 34 or so WD caviar drives in some computers as upgrades. About 10 days after they was put in, we had a storm go through that caused the power to glitch about 3 times. within a day, we had six of them back in because they was doing the click of death.

Here is the tally at my home.

Working and installed.
150G samsung
40G WD 400 (The last working WD i have)
25G IBM deskstar
10G quantum
6.3G quantum fireball
4G maxtor
1.2G quntum bigfoot
630M quantum in apple computer.
200M IBM in apple computer.
200M seagate in old dedicated dos game computer.
120M seagate ST3120A in old scrap computer.

Working in storage.
2G seagate medalist. st32132
2.1G quantum bigfoot AT
1.2G quantum bigfoot AT
635M quantum 635AT
428M seagate ST3491A
212M IBM H3256-A3
240M Maxtor 7245
200M Maxtor 7131AT
120M Maxtor 7120
120M Maxtor 7120
120M conner 3104
120M conner 3111
80M Quantum prodrive 80AT
40M Miniscribe 8051A

Dead.
40G western digital 400
30G Western digital 300
15G seagate ST315323A
10G fijitsu MPG3102A
3.2G WD caviar 33100
630M quantum 630AT
540M WD caviar 2540
340M WD caviar 2340
256M WD caviar 2250
80M WD caviar 280
40M WD caviar 140
40M conner CP344
conner CP 30104
conner CP 3000
conner CFS420A
conner CP 30174E

So percentage dead of total are.
WD 88%
Conner 71%
seagate 20%
Quantom 11%
maxtor 0%
IBM 0%

I left out the brands that I only had one drive of.

The funny thing is I have 1 bad quantum and 8 working ones. But i have 1 good western digital and 8 bad ones. :ouch: 
February 13, 2010 3:17:42 PM

thank you radio freak for your wonderful explanation.
a few months ago i bought a western digital , one terabyte, and now the disc is dead.
What caused it ? Power went off a couple of times.
>Disc dead.
Thank God I had most of my files in another external hard drive .
If I had relied solely in western digital I would have been framed.
February 13, 2010 5:04:31 PM

Me too.

OldBear said:

Anonymous
February 24, 2010 8:18:57 AM

I got one, from WD passport, and they refuse to give new one because i took it out from external case without their permission. Its ok if u take it out of laptop, but not from external case.
Never buying another WD
February 28, 2010 8:09:58 PM

the only brand i would not recommend is Maxtor. But thats based on my personal experience. Others might think they are good. At the end of the day its just peoples opinion who is better/worse.
March 18, 2010 5:21:55 AM

I've had good luck with WD myself used them since 2001 when my Maxtor fried due to a power surge and took my unbacked up PC files with it...when i built my 750i rig i thought i had a bad drive called up support and they sent me a new drive and told me not to bother returning old one turned out it was a user error i reformatted the drive properly and wound up with a free drive...some times i think ppl just get a monday peice of hardware unfortunately mondays are once a week
Anonymous
April 5, 2010 7:58:28 PM

I had two WD internal 80G drives and they are still going strong 5 years later ... I bought a WD 500 internal hhd and it working fine ... maybe most folks are complaining about the external drives? I just haven't had a problem with WD and they are my hard drive of choice. :hello: 
April 20, 2010 5:41:11 PM

I've been in the IT biz for 14 years and have installed/repaired/replaced hundreds of hd's, all kinds.
Western Digital drives definitely break down FAR more often than other brands. I have seen very few Quantum, Maxtor, Seagate, Mitsubishi, etc.. drives die to the point of the "click of death".
I've seen at least 15 WD drives die-usually within 2-5 years of use. I mean die to the point of absolutely no recovery-throw it away.

By the way, the "click of death" is probably from dust creeping into the case, or particles being in the case when it was manufactured. Eventually, dust gets between the platter and the head and destroys the surface of the disk. The click is the head hitting the spindle after finding NO DATA. Maybe they don't change their air filters as often, maybe they're mfg'ing is just slightly less clean than other brands. Who cares?

LaCie uses WD drives. I don't buy LaCie anymore-but I recycle their external cases after removing the broken WD drive.

For those of you who have had success with WD drives-good luck! Make sure you back it up with a different brand! 5 years? Plan for HD death. Being loyal to a brand that has this reputation is foolish. You've been warned.
June 21, 2011 12:42:16 AM

I have 4 dead WD.
1 Samsung work for 6 years and still working
Seagate seem very good.

NEVER buy a Western Digital again.
July 8, 2011 8:40:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!