Audiofile speaker cables. Is this a joke?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 2, 2004 4:08:59 PM

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...

AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
Your Price
$7,600.00

????

Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 4:09:00 PM

Nevermind the relatively much less expensive, cheap wire connected to both
ends of the speaker wire (internal loudspeaker, amplification, etc.).

If you detected a hint of sarcasm, you weren't imagining it.

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>
> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
> Your Price
> $7,600.00
>

> ????
>
> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 4:09:00 PM

I think they throw in a couple of free tubes of KY Jelly with the
cables.

Al

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:08:59 -0600, Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net>
wrote:

>http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>
>AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
>Your Price
>$7,600.00
>

>????
>
>Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
December 2, 2004 7:05:21 PM

"G Glass" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<wXJrd.191905$hj.173521@fed1read07>...
> Nevermind the relatively much less expensive, cheap wire connected to both
> ends of the speaker wire (internal loudspeaker, amplification, etc.).
>
> If you detected a hint of sarcasm, you weren't imagining it.
>
> "Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> > http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
> >
> > AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
> > Your Price
> > $7,600.00
> >

> > ????
> >
> > Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?

Must be marketed towards Oxygen free Brains.
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 7:28:48 PM

I got one that isn't as expensive, but is more outrageous considering what
it is:
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>
> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
> Your Price
> $7,600.00
>

> ????
>
> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 8:16:18 PM

Those guys *have* to be laughing their asses off... wonder how many
knobs they actually sell?

Al

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:28:48 -0500, "amicus" <email@email.com> wrote:

>I got one that isn't as expensive, but is more outrageous considering what
>it is:
>http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...
>

>"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>>
>> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
>> Your Price
>> $7,600.00
>>

>> ????
>>
>> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 10:17:58 PM

Wow... I got to get me some of those...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>
> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
> Your Price $7,600.00
>

> ????
>
> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 11:13:06 PM

"EganMedia" <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote in message
> <<
> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious? >>

> At least your $7,600 buys something that will affect the ability to
> use your stereo. At $999, these might even be a bigger ripoff (if
> that's possible).
>
> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=160...

Or:

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

Another shakti innovation bites the dust:

www.randi.org/jr/080504string.html#8.
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 11:47:09 PM

Joe Sensor wrote:
> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>
> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
> Your Price
> $7,600.00
>

> ????
>
> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?

IN NY you can buy a 10,000$ martini
more power to them if they can sell it
George
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 11:55:25 PM

"George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:hbLrd.1018368$Gx4.659648@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Joe Sensor wrote:
> > http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
> >
> > AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
> > Your Price
> > $7,600.00
> >

> > ????
> >
> > Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
>
> IN NY you can buy a 10,000$ martini
> more power to them if they can sell it
> George

Yeah... but that includes a diamond. Any diamonds in a hunk of wire these days?
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:19:07 AM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:08:59 -0600, Joe Sensor wrote:

> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>
> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
> Your Price
> $7,600.00
>

> ????
>
> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?

It's cheap at the price. If I don't use 'Counter OctoHelix construction
cables' with 'Spread Spectrum Technology', I can hardly bear to listen to
recorded music.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:53:11 AM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:08:59 +0100, Joe Sensor wrote:

> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>
> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR Your Price $7,600.00
>

> ????
>
> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?

They are selling these things, so they are making serious money. But what
about power cords: $6,700.00, for 6', so over $1000.00 per foot!
http://www.fatwyre.com/power2_04.html For the best result use this cable
from your hifi set to the nearest power plant ;-)

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:53:11 +0100, Chel van Gennip
<chel@vangennip.nl> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:08:59 +0100, Joe Sensor wrote:
>
>> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>>
>> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR Your Price $7,600.00
>>

>> ????
>>
>> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
>
>They are selling these things, so they are making serious money.

Yes, we are indeed living in a second gilded age.

Al
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:59:09 AM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:53:11 +0100, Chel van Gennip wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:08:59 +0100, Joe Sensor wrote:
>
>> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>>
>> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR Your Price $7,600.00
>>

>> ????
>>
>> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
>
> They are selling these things, so they are making serious money. But
> what about power cords: $6,700.00, for 6', so over $1000.00 per foot!
> http://www.fatwyre.com/power2_04.html For the best result use this cable
> from your hifi set to the nearest power plant ;-)

BTW, I forgot to mention they are selling $32000.00 Speaker Cables too:
http://www.fatwyre.com/speaker5_04.html

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:59:10 AM

"Chel van Gennip" <chel@vangennip.nl> wrote in message news:319e0sF394s78U1@individual.net...
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:53:11 +0100, Chel van Gennip wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:08:59 +0100, Joe Sensor wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
> >>
> >> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR Your Price $7,600.00
> >>

> >> ????
> >>
> >> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
> >
> > They are selling these things, so they are making serious money. But
> > what about power cords: $6,700.00, for 6', so over $1000.00 per foot!
> > http://www.fatwyre.com/power2_04.html For the best result use this cable
> > from your hifi set to the nearest power plant ;-)
>
> BTW, I forgot to mention they are selling $32000.00 Speaker Cables too:
> http://www.fatwyre.com/speaker5_04.html

People obviously have too much 'disposable' cash these days.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:59:10 AM

"Chel van Gennip" wrote

> BTW, I forgot to mention they are selling $32000.00 Speaker Cables too:
> http://www.fatwyre.com/speaker5_04.html

Following a link from there gets you this handy list of tips for picking out
cables (I especially like the bit about discouraging A/B'ing cables, but
instead leaving everything overnight to settle:

Tips on comparative analysis of cables:

1. Many cables are directional. Please follow manufacturer's markings
regarding directionality. Also Cable Company inventory tags are attached to
cables at the "downstream" end.

2. Schedule cable auditions from The Cable Library for periods when you will
be able to devote ample listening time to the process. Plan on spending an
average of one evening of listening time for each cable being auditioned.

3. Don't pull cables in and out of your system for quick A/B comparisons. We
recommend allowing each cable to settle into your system at least overnight
before serious audition. This settling in process involves the constant
running of a signal through the cable to be tested, usually by means of a
tuner or CD player on repeat at low volume. The cables should also be left
in a constant physical position during settling in.Hook it up, turn it on,
and leave it alone until you're ready to listen.

4. Relax and listen to the music, not to the cable. Cables are perhaps the
easiest component to audition. The right cable will maximize your system's
existing strengths and minimize its weaknesses. (Insertion of active
components into your system may change the sound, rather than refining it.
This may leave the listener acknowledging the differences without being able
to decide what's better. Not so with cable. When your system has never
sounded better, you've found a good cable match.)
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:59:10 AM

In article <319e0sF394s78U1@individual.net>,
Chel van Gennip <chel@vangennip.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:53:11 +0100, Chel van Gennip wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:08:59 +0100, Joe Sensor wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
> >>
> >> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR Your Price $7,600.00
> >>

> >> ????
> >>
> >> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
> >
> > They are selling these things, so they are making serious money. But
> > what about power cords: $6,700.00, for 6', so over $1000.00 per foot!
> > http://www.fatwyre.com/power2_04.html For the best result use this cable
> > from your hifi set to the nearest power plant ;-)
>
> BTW, I forgot to mention they are selling $32000.00 Speaker Cables too:
> http://www.fatwyre.com/speaker5_04.html

Just the thing for your NS-10s.

-Jay
December 3, 2004 1:06:57 AM

> 1. Many cables are directional.

Would that be for DC audio?

> 3. Don't pull cables in and out of your system for quick A/B comparisons.
> We
> recommend allowing each cable to settle into your system at least
> overnight
> before serious audition.

I read about this on one of these sites. The serious guys claim it takes a
few weeks to 'burn-in' the cables. Only then can you hear the improvement of
a truly good cable.

All I know is I want some of what they're smokin'.

-John O
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:06:58 AM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:06:57 GMT, "John O"
<johno@#no^spam&heathkit.com> wrote:

>> 1. Many cables are directional.
>
>Would that be for DC audio?
>

>> 3. Don't pull cables in and out of your system for quick A/B comparisons.
>> We
>> recommend allowing each cable to settle into your system at least
>> overnight
>> before serious audition.
>
>I read about this on one of these sites. The serious guys claim it takes a
>few weeks to 'burn-in' the cables. Only then can you hear the improvement of
>a truly good cable.
>
>All I know is I want some of what they're smokin'.

I'd settle for some of that money they're makin'

Al
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:24:19 AM

On 2004-12-02, Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:

> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?

The "What goes in is what comes out" claim would be their undoing,
provable if by nothing else, the Law of Conservation. If they
have 100% efficient conductivity, why stop at audio cable? Why not
go ahead and save the world?
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:40:42 AM

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>
> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
> Your Price $7,600.00
>

> ????
>
> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?

The more they cost, the better they sound. Proven fact.
Wouldn't you feel like a fool if this were not the case?
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:27:27 AM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:59:09 +0100, Chel van Gennip
<chel@vangennip.nl> wrote:
>BTW, I forgot to mention they are selling $32000.00 Speaker Cables too:
>http://www.fatwyre.com/speaker5_04.html

Ahhh. Now we are getting somewhere. This could add up to real money.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:27:43 AM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:24:19 +0100, james of tucson wrote:

> On 2004-12-02, Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:
>
>> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
>
> The "What goes in is what comes out" claim would be their undoing,
> provable if by nothing else, the Law of Conservation. If they have 100%
> efficient conductivity, why stop at audio cable? Why not go ahead and
> save the world?

Cost might be prohibitive if they do it.

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:27:44 AM

Chel van Gennip wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:24:19 +0100, james of tucson wrote:
>

>>On 2004-12-02, Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?
>>
>>The "What goes in is what comes out" claim would be their undoing,
>>provable if by nothing else, the Law of Conservation. If they have 100%
>>efficient conductivity, why stop at audio cable? Why not go ahead and
>>save the world?
>

> Cost might be prohibitive if they do it.

George Bush already has that job :-O
December 3, 2004 2:27:45 AM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:37:46 GMT, George Gleason
<g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Chel van Gennip wrote:

>>>The "What goes in is what comes out" claim would be their undoing,
>>>provable if by nothing else, the Law of Conservation. If they have 100%
>>>efficient conductivity, why stop at audio cable? Why not go ahead and
>>>save the world?
>>

>> Cost might be prohibitive if they do it.
>>
>George Bush already has that job :-O

And it is indeed very costly.

Al
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:21:39 AM

Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in news:3197feF36p1haU1
@individual.net:

> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>
> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
> Your Price
> $7,600.00
>

> ????
>
> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?

Is it NOS?
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 11:05:02 AM

"John O" <johno@#no^spam&heathkit.com> wrote in message news:<5mMrd.27779$Rf1.15929@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...

> > 1. Many cables are directional.
>
> Would that be for DC audio?

I'm working on new a experiment involving directionality of cable. So
far I've found that due to tool wear on the nanometric level of the
dies that the wire is drawn through, wire is not formed perfectly
cylindrical. In fact it is tapered like a funnel. When I place the
small end of the cable at the amplifier and the larger end at the
speaker the sound seems more spread out and spacious. When I reverse
the cable so that the small end is now at the speaker and the large
end is now at the amplifier, the sound becomes more focused. With an
excessive taper this could even 'constrict' the sound going to the
speakers.

My new die design and special tool coatings have allowed me to produce
the ultimate cable. The perfect blend of focus and spaciousness has
finally been achieved! Special low harmonic machines have been built
providing maximum reduction of physical imperfections in the form and
finish of the wire. These physical harmonics are often the root cause
of skewed imaging. If the diameter of the wire ripples along the
surface of the wire like the rippled bend in a flexable drinking
straw, the electrical energy alternates between spacious and focused.
It's anyone's guess whether the wire is focused or spacious when it
finally meets the speaker lug. This expansion and contraction of the
sound jumbles the waveform producing a 'phasey' sound. All waviness on
the surface of my wire has been reduced in frequency to a level where
each wave is ten times smaller than a sound wave in air at 50Khz! Yes,
you hear me right, a full order of magnatude smaller than a frequency
twice that perceivable by many of the best in the audio community!
Waviness height has also been minimized to provide rock solid imaging.

Since special machines are being used and a new matched set of dies (I
can match a quad set for bi-wiring) are used for each set of wire, the
wire length is limited to a maximum of four meters.

The price for a four meter pair is $50,000.

Thank you,
Peter
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 11:16:19 AM

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:08:59 -0500, Joe Sensor wrote
(in article <3197feF36p1haU1@individual.net>):

> http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sk...
>
> AUDIOQUEST/EVEREST SPEAKER CABLE 8' PR
> Your Price
> $7,600.00
>

> ????
>
> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?

I've been using automotive jumper cables for years. I chop off the clamps and
tack weld the cabled to the monitor terminals. The truth will set you free.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:18:08 PM

> >> Almost $1000.00 per foot! Are they serious?

Why are you all ranting about this?
If you are not interested in these cables/can't appreciate a difference,
just ignore it. I'm completely certain that you also wouldn't understand
the difference between my italian 45k violin and a 1450k Stradivarius
but believe me, there is a difference and the price of a Strad is not
ridiculous.

??

Joakim
--
Joakim Wendel
Remove obvious mail JUNK block for mail reply.

My homepage : http://violinist.nu
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:18:09 PM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 09:18:08 +0100, Joakim Wendel
<oviktig@bostreammail.net> wrote:

>Why are you all ranting about this?
>If you are not interested in these cables/can't appreciate a difference,
>just ignore it. I'm completely certain that you also wouldn't understand
>the difference between my italian 45k violin and a 1450k Stradivarius
>but believe me, there is a difference and the price of a Strad is not
>ridiculous.
>
>??
>
>Joakim

The reason this analogy doesn't work is that there actually IS a
difference between your violin and a Strad. And up at the Strad level
there are still differences - for example in a small hall you would
play a Strad, but if you were playing somewhere huge you would
probably go for a Guaneri.

Between these expensive cables and normal speaker cable, the ONLY
difference is the price.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:18:09 PM

>Why are you all ranting about this?
>If you are not interested in these cables/can't appreciate a difference,
>just ignore it. I'm completely certain that you also wouldn't understand
>the difference between my italian 45k violin and a 1450k Stradivarius
>but believe me, there is a difference and the price of a Strad is not
>ridiculous.

To belabor the obvious, cables are not comparable to Stradivaruis'
violins by any stretch.

Al
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:36:34 PM

"Joakim Wendel" <oviktig@bostreammail.net> wrote in message
news:o viktig-83E4ED.09180803122004@dos.canit.se

> Why are you all ranting about this?

Because its fun, and its such an obvious scam.

> If you are not interested in these cables/can't appreciate a
> difference, just ignore it.

The lack of interest is due to the non-existence of any sonic difference.

>I'm completely certain that you also
> wouldn't understand the difference between my italian 45k violin and
> a 1450k Stradivarius

I'm completely certain Joakim that you are greviously insulting most if not
all of the people who post here.

> but believe me, there is a difference and the price of a Strad is not
> ridiculous.

Anybody who confuses a the cosmic meaning and value of a Strad, with that of
snake-oil speaker cable is way over the cliff. BTW given how you've already
grievously and horrifically insulted this forum, I hope you take this as a
personal insult from me to you!
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:42:17 PM

"amicus" <email@email.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> I got one that isn't as expensive, but is more outrageous considering what
> it is:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...

That is the funniest piece of Audio equipment I've ever seen........ It
pushes the borders of human stupidity further than I imagined possible....
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:42:18 PM

>I'd love to see these guys taken to court for misrepresentation. The
>lacquer makes a difference - my arse !

I have someplace a vial of clear lacquer-like substance, for which it is
claimed that it enhances the sound of an IC, if merely lightly daubed on it.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:42:18 PM

Jakob B. Olsen wrote:

> "amicus" <email@email.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>
>>I got one that isn't as expensive, but is more outrageous considering what
>>it is:
>>

> http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...
>

> That is the funniest piece of Audio equipment I've ever seen........ It
> pushes the borders of human stupidity further than I imagined possible....

From the same site, you can have your electrons running like a kickoff
receiver with no defensive team! Bybee Quantum Purifiers! Although
they appear relatively cheap, you the more you use the better it sounds.
This one is reallllllly stupid: you will be turning your electrons
into Cooper's Pairs which can and will tunnel through your copper wiring
at .92c.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:50:45 PM

play-on wrote:

> >Why are you all ranting about this?
> >If you are not interested in these cables/can't appreciate a difference,
> >just ignore it. I'm completely certain that you also wouldn't understand
> >the difference between my italian 45k violin and a 1450k Stradivarius
> >but believe me, there is a difference and the price of a Strad is not
> >ridiculous.
>
> To belabor the obvious, cables are not comparable to Stradivaruis'
> violins by any stretch.

In short, copper is copper. No matter how much you dress up specious claims
that *your* copper is somehow 'better'.

Virtually all copper used for cables is 'oxygen free' for all practical
purposes too btw.

Graham
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:50:46 PM

Pooh Bear wrote:

> In short, copper is copper. No matter how much you dress up specious claims
> that *your* copper is somehow 'better'.

Ah, but these cables are NOT copper. They are 100% silver. That's got
to count for something! <g>

And don't forget, if you biwire your speakers, you'll need twice as many
cables!
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 3:07:44 PM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:58:52 +0000, Pooh Bear
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Jakob B. Olsen" wrote:
>
>> "amicus" <email@email.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> > I got one that isn't as expensive, but is more outrageous considering what
>> > it is:
>> >
>> http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...
>> >

>> That is the funniest piece of Audio equipment I've ever seen........ It
>> pushes the borders of human stupidity further than I imagined possible....
>
>I recall seeing that one before.
>
>I guess when some ppl have more money than sesnse.......
>
>" The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause
>degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the
>lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better
>sound!! "
>
>I'd love to see these guys taken to court for misrepresentation. The lacquer makes a difference - my arse !

Follow the links and you can find a page where they sell the magic
laquer... needless to say it's expensive.

Al
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 3:13:06 PM

Peter I'm sure that if you bothered to create a website and posted
your cables for sale there you could do very well... heck even if you
only got one sale it'd be worth it.

Al

On 3 Dec 2004 08:05:02 -0800, thecatspjamas@aol.com (Peter B.) wrote:

>"John O" <johno@#no^spam&heathkit.com> wrote in message news:<5mMrd.27779$Rf1.15929@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
>> >
>> > 1. Many cables are directional.
>>
>> Would that be for DC audio?
>>

>I'm working on new a experiment involving directionality of cable. So
>far I've found that due to tool wear on the nanometric level of the
>dies that the wire is drawn through, wire is not formed perfectly
>cylindrical. In fact it is tapered like a funnel. When I place the
>small end of the cable at the amplifier and the larger end at the
>speaker the sound seems more spread out and spacious. When I reverse
>the cable so that the small end is now at the speaker and the large
>end is now at the amplifier, the sound becomes more focused. With an
>excessive taper this could even 'constrict' the sound going to the
>speakers.
>
>My new die design and special tool coatings have allowed me to produce
>the ultimate cable. The perfect blend of focus and spaciousness has
>finally been achieved! Special low harmonic machines have been built
>providing maximum reduction of physical imperfections in the form and
>finish of the wire. These physical harmonics are often the root cause
>of skewed imaging. If the diameter of the wire ripples along the
>surface of the wire like the rippled bend in a flexable drinking
>straw, the electrical energy alternates between spacious and focused.
>It's anyone's guess whether the wire is focused or spacious when it
>finally meets the speaker lug. This expansion and contraction of the
>sound jumbles the waveform producing a 'phasey' sound. All waviness on
>the surface of my wire has been reduced in frequency to a level where
>each wave is ten times smaller than a sound wave in air at 50Khz! Yes,
>you hear me right, a full order of magnatude smaller than a frequency
>twice that perceivable by many of the best in the audio community!
>Waviness height has also been minimized to provide rock solid imaging.
>
>Since special machines are being used and a new matched set of dies (I
>can match a quad set for bi-wiring) are used for each set of wire, the
>wire length is limited to a maximum of four meters.
>
>The price for a four meter pair is $50,000.
>
>Thank you,
>Peter
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 4:17:15 PM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:28:48 +0100, amicus wrote:

> I got one that isn't as expensive, but is more outrageous considering
> what it is:
> http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...

This one is not for sale any more but scores well in the outrageous
contest here: The ALTMANN "TUBE-O-LATOR" LACQUER
http://www.altmann.haan.de/tubeolator

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 5:18:33 PM

<< Another shakti innovation bites the dust: >>

I would love to see an "Ulitmate Audiophile Stereo System" spec'd out which
incorporated as many of these hucksterish products as possible. How much money
do you suppose you could spend?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 5:18:34 PM

> << Another shakti innovation bites the dust: >>

> I would love to see an "Ulitmate Audiophile Stereo System" spec'd out
> which incorporated as many of these hucksterish products as possible.
> How much money do you suppose you could spend?

Sad to say it might be on the order of the GNP for some third world country.

Back in the real world, I suspect I've auditioned personal audio systems
that were simple 2-channel systems with modest dynamic range and power
response that were in the six figures, depending what you count as part of
the system.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 5:34:31 PM

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 17:59:34 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

Hmmmm...isn't one of these things required for promotion to another
level in L. Ron Hoover's "Church of Appliantology?" ...along with a
cheap Rat Shack VOM in a mahogany box?

>Another shakti innovation bites the dust:
>
>www.randi.org/jr/080504string.html#8. <snip>

ROFLMAO! Proof positive that Barnum was right, and that there will be
frauders fleecing morons at every turn.

dB
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 5:36:14 PM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:06:57 GMT, "John O"
<johno@#no^spam&heathkit.com> wrote:

>All I know is I want some of what they're smokin'. <snip>

Possibly psychedelic solder flux fumes?

dB
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:05:13 PM

"Jakob B. Olsen" <spam@qwerty.org> wrote in message
> "amicus" <email@email.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > I got one that isn't as expensive, but is more outrageous considering
what
> > it is:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...

> That is the funniest piece of Audio equipment I've ever seen........ It
> pushes the borders of human stupidity further than I imagined possible....

On the same website:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...

They can't decide whether these caps are film and foil or paper in oil. You
too can have PCBs in your house...

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:14:27 PM

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:28:48 +0100, amicus wrote:
>
> > I got one that isn't as expensive, but is more outrageous considering
> > what it is:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...

> This one is not for sale any more but scores well in the outrageous
> contest here: The ALTMANN "TUBE-O-LATOR" LACQUER
> http://www.altmann.haan.de/tubeolator

Reading the website, I find:

<<Attention: Experience has shown, that power transistors in certain circuit
topologies CAN over-react to Altmann "Tube-o-lator" lacquer. Over-reaction
will lead to a dumb sound (that will make you feel sick), because too many
overtones are filtered. If you experience over-reaction of a device, remove
the "Tube-o-lator" lacquer with a carpet knife after curing, or wipe away
before curing. You shoud however, first treat your Sound Sources, like DA
converter, Disc-player or phono-stage or preamp.

The "Tube-o-lator" lacquer is powerful stuff. It can make or break a sound.
So only treat the output transistors of your Main-Amp only, if you really
think it is required.>>

Powerful stuff indeed, like a barn that ain't been cleaned out in a while.
Or how about this:

<<In High-End we do not deal with audio reproduction. What we deal with is
audio interpretation. This implies, that our gear is not just gear. A
correctly designed audio system is a musical instrument able to interpret
the recording according to the designers musical comprehension.

Whoever says that High-End deals with the most accurate reproduction, is
indeed thinking an octave too low.

The Overtone-Spectrum that we need in order to feel an audio reproduction
real sounding is NOT PRESENT ON THE RECORDING.

The amplitudes of the overtone-spectrum are far below the resolution of a
CD, DVD or SACD. A new overtone spectrum is generated by the reproducing
devices. Every active component adds overtones.

The problem is, that the newl generated overtones can sound bad. Especially
the spectrum of mixed signal ICs (i.e. DA converter chips) sounds very bad,
due to the digital switching inside the chip and due the plastic package
material.

If fact, every plastic encapsulated semiconductor generates an unnatural
harsh sounding overtone spectrum.>>

If fact. I rest my (plastic encapsulated) case.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:48:26 PM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:18:33 +0100, EganMedia wrote:

> << Another shakti innovation bites the dust: >>

> I would love to see an "Ulitmate Audiophile Stereo System" spec'd out
> which incorporated as many of these hucksterish products as possible.
> How much money do you suppose you could spend?

Just one impression: http://www.audio-consulting.ch/Topaudio2004Room1.htm
Alhough there is one CMOS component. I think you need some lacquer too:
http://www.altmann.haan.de/tubeolator/default.htm
I think you need some cables from http://www.fatwyre.com/
As the system becomes quite complex, a burn-in time of 75 years is
recomended for an optimal result.

If you want an "Ulitmate Audiophile Stereo System" I think you should
forget about a limit on the money you can spend, there will be always
someone to solve that problem for you.

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 9:04:02 PM

>All waviness on
> the surface of my wire has been reduced in frequency to a level where
> each wave is ten times smaller than a sound wave in air at 50Khz!

Wow, that's extraordinary.

I just upgraded the coax cable for digital audio between by DVD player and
receiver, and you wouldn't believe the difference in the soundstage.

-John O
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 9:04:05 PM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:23:34 +0100, Joakim Wendel
<oviktig@bostreammail.net> wrote:

>If someone would make a cable that got a reputation as great as these
>old things (and couldn't be 'bettered' for hundreds of yrs no matter the
>resources put in) i'd prolly like that too. I'd buy it IF I HAD THE MONEY

That's a lot of "ifs".

Al
!