StarTAC program lock code - HELP!

My StarTAC phone has been giving me trouble so I bought another StarTAC
(ST7868W) from a guy. The Alltel folks have not been able to program the
new phone because we get an "Invalid Program Lock Code" error.

I have been researching that issue and can't seem to find a way to reset the
phone back to the original factory settings. As I understand it, the
Program Lock Code is set by the wireless carrier in an attempt to keep
subscribers from carrier hopping.

Is there a way to change or override or obliterate the Program Lock Code so
that I can use this phone?

TIA

Chuck
2 answers Last reply
More about startac program lock code help

    So I assume it's not the usual 000000 or 123456. It's probably not a
    Verizon StarTAC since all their phones are unlocked so it's probably
    Sprint or one of the smaller carriers, definately not an Alltel
    otherwise Alltel will know based on the ESN.

    Three's two things you can try.

    Did you ask the guy who you bought it from? He might have that magic 6
    digit code.

    http://ridge.trideja.com/wireless/
    Click on the Service Provider Code Locks link. Basically says try to
    get in touch with a technician at the original carrier.

    BTW, does the Alltel store have the ability to reflash the phone with
    the latest software? For Alltel, it's 7656 or 7654, one of those two.

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:10:44 -0500, "Chuck Jurgens"
    <jurgens@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >My StarTAC phone has been giving me trouble so I bought another StarTAC
    >(ST7868W) from a guy. The Alltel folks have not been able to program the
    >new phone because we get an "Invalid Program Lock Code" error.
    >
    >I have been researching that issue and can't seem to find a way to reset the
    >phone back to the original factory settings. As I understand it, the
    >Program Lock Code is set by the wireless carrier in an attempt to keep
    >subscribers from carrier hopping.
    >
    >Is there a way to change or override or obliterate the Program Lock Code so
    >that I can use this phone?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Chuck

    Just want to add something. Found this in an old post. This royc
    fellow seems to know his StarTACs very well.

    From: clouston@sprynet.com (royc)
    Newsgroups: alt.cellular.motorola
    Subject: Re: unlock a startac?
    Date: 23 Sep 2003 19:00:07 -0700

    You can put the ST7868W into test mode to view and change the security
    code and lock code. Do not mess around with other settings!

    To enter test mode, press:
    FCN, 0, 0, *, *, T, E, S, T, M, O, D, E, STO
    You will then see a US ' prompt.

    Enter 5506#

    The phone will display the security code. Change it to the default by
    entering 000000, then press STO. The ' prompt will reappear.

    Next enter 5507#

    The phone will display the lock code. Change it to the default by
    entering 123, then press STO. The ' prompt will reappear.

    Finally enter 01#. The phone will reboot and return to normal mode.
    You can now access all of the StarTAC's security settings using the
    default security code 000000.

    Acknowledgement: My thanks to Ryan Goolevitch who posted the ST7868W
    test mode commands at:

    http://ridge.trideja.com/wireless/testmode.html

    royc

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:00:00 -0500, Richard Lee <r@r.com> wrote:

    >So I assume it's not the usual 000000 or 123456. It's probably not a
    >Verizon StarTAC since all their phones are unlocked so it's probably
    >Sprint or one of the smaller carriers, definately not an Alltel
    >otherwise Alltel will know based on the ESN.
    >
    >Three's two things you can try.
    >
    >Did you ask the guy who you bought it from? He might have that magic 6
    >digit code.
    >
    >http://ridge.trideja.com/wireless/
    >Click on the Service Provider Code Locks link. Basically says try to
    >get in touch with a technician at the original carrier.
    >
    >BTW, does the Alltel store have the ability to reflash the phone with
    >the latest software? For Alltel, it's 7656 or 7654, one of those two.
    >

    >On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:10:44 -0500, "Chuck Jurgens"
    ><jurgens@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >
    >>My StarTAC phone has been giving me trouble so I bought another StarTAC
    >>(ST7868W) from a guy. The Alltel folks have not been able to program the
    >>new phone because we get an "Invalid Program Lock Code" error.
    >>
    >>I have been researching that issue and can't seem to find a way to reset the
    >>phone back to the original factory settings. As I understand it, the
    >>Program Lock Code is set by the wireless carrier in an attempt to keep
    >>subscribers from carrier hopping.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to change or override or obliterate the Program Lock Code so
    >>that I can use this phone?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>Chuck

Motorola Phones Factory Restore