XP machine can't see 98 machines shares

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a home network using the MN-100 wired network base
station. There are 3 machines, 2 using XP, and one still
using Windows 98 because nothing else with run on it with
any real performance. I have my network all set up, and
the 2 XP machines see each other and can access each
others shares. The Win 98 machine can see the 2 XP
machines and access their shares. However the XP machines
can see the 98 machine so far as the "View Workgroup
Computers" dialog goes, but cannot access his shares.
When I try and connect to him one of the XP machines the
network path cannot be found.

I can successfully ping all 3 computers using the IP
address, but only the 2 XP machines can be successfully
pinged by hostname. A ping of the 98 machine by hostname
fails (Error 53 I believe). All 3 computers are in the
same workgroup, and I am not using any domains. I am
using TCP/IP protocol and have my machines set to obtain
DNS automatically and NetBIOS has been enabled.

The 2 XP machines display the other on the Microsoft
Broadband Network Utility by name, and if I mouse over
them the correct IP address is displayed. The 98 machine
displays both XP computers when I run the Microsoft
Broadband Network Utility on it. However both XP machines
display an icon of a box (looks like a hard drive kinda)
for the 98 machine, rather than the icon of a computer
monitor, and the name of the 98 machine is absent. The IP
address is correct if I mouse over it. Winipcfg tells me
the name of the machine is "WOLVERINE.WorkGroupDEST" I
believe ("WOLVERINE" is correct, the rest isn't).

I have spent too much time trying to figure this problem
out, and gotten nowhere. It's like the base station is
aware of my 98 machine, but doesn't really know where it
is. Can anybody help me resolve this issue? It's really
bugging me ;-)

Nick

Does WinIPCfg says that the 98 is on a different group?
Try changing the workgroup again. If it keeps insisting
on the wrong group I would troubleshoot this...

Also make sure the 98 is not running a firewall. This
would block access to it's shares, but would allow it to
browse other computers.